Majellan by Omega1234 - Luxury 37 metre Motor Yacht - 1/200 Miniature 7 inches approx - Finished

Hi folks

As I'm fast approaching the completion of my current model, "Symphony", now's a good time to reveal my next project - a miniature model of a 37 metre luxury motor yacht, which I will name "Majellan". The plans will be loosely based on an existing ship, whose plans I found using using Google.

The model will have a fully detailed interior (well, as much as I can replicate at this tiny size, anyway)! Majellan's interior layout consists of the following decks:

-Lower Deck;

-Main Deck;

-Upper Deck; and

-Sun Deck.

The profile of the ship is provided below:

post-7645-0-66656600-1442148948_thumb.jpg

I hope to commence construction as soon as I can figure out how to build the darn thing!! Talk about a challenge.

If you're able to, I'd love it if you could please join me on Magellan's journey.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

OH WOW!

Patrick, I am sure you will do a great job on that motor yacht. That will be one heck of a scratch build challenge for sure.... and you know how I love challenges.

What scale are you going to build her?

Pulling up a chair.

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

I'm pulling up a chair and putting a "reserved" sign on it, Patrick.  One has to get here early..... ;)  :)  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

With all the detail I'm seeing, for what it's worth, I only have 6 words of wisdom to offer you Patrick....

"The more bigger, the more better."

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Hey, count me in.  Now where did I leave my chair? 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Beautiful ship Patrick,

I`m looking foreward to your first pics.....

That sure will be a challenge, but just as sure that you will tackle that masterly

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Nick, Nils, Bob, Dave and Mark

Thanks for joining me on Majellan's journey! I've cleaned all the seats to make sure you're all comfortable and feel welcomed; so please enjoy the journey.

Spread the word, too, as the more the better!

Thanks and all the best

Patrick

Just saw you started a new log! Definitely on board, again. The concept for this 'small' (in mega yacht standards!) motor yacht reminds me of a design I did with a team of classmates my junior year of a ~150 ft (45m) motor yacht. We only did very preliminary/concept design, but enough to do some basic arrangements and naval architecture work (weight/stability/powering, etc). I'll have to see if I can dig something up on it from my files. I have hard copies of the drawings, but I think the original cad files are lost to the abyss....

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Hi Patrick!

My congratulations on the beginning of a new project! And of course, I am occupying one of the chairs in the first row. ))

Best Regards!

Igor.

I'm also with ... 

... am looking forward to the first pictures!  :) 

Best regards,

Mike

current scratch build 1:15

Colin Archer - RS14 "Stavanger"

Hi everyone

Today I actually started on Magellan's hull.  As mentioned before, I intend to fully fitout Magellan's interior accommodation; all four decks of it.  How I intend to do this is by allowing each deck to be lifted off so that the interior can be viewed.  Talk about a challenge!!!  Oh well, if you don't try, nothing would be achieved.  

So, without further ado, the photos below show the start of the hull.  It may not look like much, but, hopefully it'll turn into one hell of a beauty!  A very long way to go, of course...

Wish me luck!

Cheers

Patrick 

post-7645-0-16691500-1443531454_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-56996800-1443531466_thumb.jpg

Congratulations on the start of the build, Patrick!

Maybe you want to populate the yacht crew and passengers? ))

http://ru.aliexpress.com/store/product/100pc-1-200-scale-white-figure-for-Landscape-Train-Model-Scale-architectural-scenery/816579_807820443.html

Best Regards!

Igor.

G'day Patrick

I can't wait for you to get into this unbelievable project. You are so brave to do this on a tiny winny scale.

Your front row is huge, but I want the centre seat mate.

Havagooday mate

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Hi everyone

As I don't have any actual hull plans for Majellan's hull I'm building, I'm relying mainly on photos of other similar sized modern luxury yachts on the Internet.  Many of these modern motor yachts have very unusual underbodies. In fact, they're far from the graceful and streamlined beauties that you'd expect.  Instead, they're quite angular and, dare I say it, ugly underneath (well, to my mind, anyway)!

As a means of overcoming the lack of detailed plans, I decided to do a clay mock-up of what I think the hull could look like, using the examples of Internet photos I've seen.  Once I'm happy with what I've come up with, I'll then use the mock-up as a guide to carve the wooden hull.

The clay mock-up can be seen in the photos below.  There's still a long way to go before I'm happy with its shape, but it's a start.

Cheers

Patrick 

post-7645-0-62804400-1443620088_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-82113800-1443620094_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-38025100-1443620102_thumb.jpg

What a great idea for those of us who build mainly from pictures.  I need to go get some clay.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Patrick,

I'm looking forward to watching this build as well. Especially for this type of craft I would expect an inaugural cruise with lots and lots of babes in micro-micro bikinis!

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Hi Patrick,

I'm looking forward to watching this build as well. Especially for this type of craft I would expect an inaugural cruise with lots and lots of babes in micro-micro bikinis!

Best,

John

Yeah! Agree with ya on that one. Now, where's me bikini....

Looking good Patrick!

Only one Nav Arch suggestion for the hull. I would soften the chine (the 'corner') in the hull forward of amidship, so that by the time you get to where the bulb starts, the bulb fairs smoothly into the rest of the hull with little to no discernible chine. The entry will be finer, meaning the bulb will actually be efficient - as it is now, the bulb would generate a bow wave that would smack right into the abrupt shape change leading to the chine, and so it seems to me that it wouldn't do anything, hence the idea that the shape should be finer forward that what you have shown. (The intent of a bulb is to generate a bow wave that interferes with the bow wave generated by the stem proper, such that the two waves cancel out and less energy is transferred into the water.)

The other item that leads me to think the underwater hull forward is too severe is that the bow thruster is a bit aft of the bulb; with the hull as you have it shaped, the tunnel would be very wide, and the opening would be at a very strange angle, such that there would be a very elliptical opening. But if you make the hull a little finer, that should pull the side a little closer to vertical and reduce the width of the tunnel and also improve the opening in the side to be more circular.

But other than that one suggestion, I think you have the hull spot-on to what I've seen of hull models used for tank testing.

Keep up the good work!

Ben

Edited by BenF89

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Looking good Patrick!

Only one Nav Arch suggestion for the hull. I would soften the chine (the 'corner') in the hull forward of amidship, so that by the time you get to where the bulb starts, the bulb fairs smoothly into the rest of the hull with little to no discernible chine. The entry will be finer, meaning the bulb will actually be efficient - as it is now, the bulb would generate a bow wave that would smack right into the abrupt shape change leading to the chine, and so it seems to me that it wouldn't do anything, hence the idea that the shape should be finer forward that what you have shown. (The intent of a bulb is to generate a bow wave that interferes with the bow wave generated by the stem proper, such that the two waves cancel out and less energy is transferred into the water.)

The other item that leads me to think the underwater hull forward is too severe is that the bow thruster is a bit aft of the bulb; with the hull as you have it shaped, the tunnel would be very wide, and the opening would be at a very strange angle, such that there would be a very elliptical opening. But if you make the hull a little finer, that should pull the side a little closer to vertical and reduce the width of the tunnel and also improve the opening in the side to be more circular.

But other than that one suggestion, I think you have the hull spot-on to what I've seen of hull models used for tank testing.

Keep up the good work!

Ben

Hi Ben

Woohoo!!! Thanks for your feedback and advice. I was going to ask for your professional advice, but didn't want to bug you unnecessarily, but now that you've pitched in, I'm really grateful.

I'll trim the bow further to make the entry finer and thereby creating a smother transition to the bulb as you've suggested. Once done, Hopefully you can comment again to see if it's ok.

Cheers

Patrick