Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 by michael mott - 1:8 scale small

Disclaimer This is all Pete's fault.

Because I already have too many builds on the go I thought why not another one. I know there are a few others here who merrily go about building a few boats/ships at the same time one of them shall remain nameless but we all know who it is.

Pete has already done enough waxing eloquently about the merits of the Herreshoff lineage of boat designs so there is no need for me to go into any great details here except to say that I completely agree with him on the elegance of the Herreshoff lines no matter what size he designed.

Build Part 1

Pete sent me a printed copy of the drawing he is using for his new boat it was already printed at 1 1/2 inch to the foot. (thanks Pete) I scanned it in order to trace it for developing some detailed model plans the lines plan is 50% and the body plans are 100%

post-202-0-75692200-1450762503_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-09347900-1450762502_thumb.jpg

I spent a lot of time studying the various images of the 14 on the net and was particularly drawn to the Port Hadlock WA Boat school photo stream

There are a lot of pictures of the 14 under construction and it is this version of the hull that I intend to model as far as the main structure of the hull. I have chosen this one because of the clarity of the construction methodology visible in the pictures.

Unfortunately there are no pictures that I have yet found of the beginning of the Port Hadlock boat which would have confirmed a few things about how they prepared the frames and if they used a set of mold forms with ribands to prepare the bent frames, but I suspect that is the method that was used.

I used corel draw this time instead of Autocad because I am more familiar with all the curve functions in corel. I used the line width function to shape the frames instead of drawing the outlines of them and this seems to be working well.

This hull will be a test of my skill at doing a proper planking job, I have learned so much since the first post on the Pilot Cutter (still planning on sailing her next summer) where I basically did not have a clue about what I was getting into and built that hull as if it were a strip built canoe. I have chosen 3/4 inch thick planks for the hull (3/32 inch) and wondered a while about what wood to use. I want to have the planks varnished and not painted (visions of Chucks planking job on his cutter  for the clarity and elegant execution)  as a goal but with a more reddish colour.

I remembered the redwood panels from the salvaged garage door and did a little re-sawing to get enough planks for the task.

post-202-0-28756300-1450762553_thumb.jpg

stripped up to 3/32 x 9/16 (3/4 x 4 1/2)

post-202-0-35245800-1450762552_thumb.jpg

Next I tried to bend some 5/32 square stock by all the different methods that I have read about on this forum and snapped most of them (what am I doing wrong?)

I remembered that I had a 5 foot by 5 foot sheet of 1mm birch aircraft ply so I cut some 3/16 strips up on the paper cutter, it worked very well surprisingly. I also printed and traced out one of the more challenging mould forms to add the frames to.

Next I used the wide throat jewelers saw to fret out the mould to use as a form for laminating the rib/frame the material is 1/4 inch Baltic birch ply.

post-202-0-31653500-1450762634_thumb.jpg

The mold form was pinned to some cork covered homasote (at least that is what I think it is) and the 4 layers were laminated together.

post-202-0-39487900-1450762635_thumb.jpg

In order to cancel out any discrepancy from side to side I laminated two of the same side, I will cut out the middle of the mold to help with the clamping of the planks.

post-202-0-34609800-1450762637_thumb.jpg

This will now continue for the rest of the frames that will fit over the molds

post-202-0-19706200-1450762636_thumb.jpg

Michael 

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I'm in also... 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

very interesting technique Michael,

laminated Frames (= high strength), ;)   I`m curious and tuned in for further Progress.. :rolleyes:..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I checked in 

It seems to be a school "how to make it perfect"

Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Michael, I do accept full responsibility, You Know that I am in, I am glad that you chose to build one at this scale. It should be an amazing build 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

I like the idea of laminated frames.  Fine start.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks for all the views and comments and likes.

Build Part 2

The laminating of the frames continues, if you ever get the chance to pick up one of these for cheap or even free which is how I got mine grab it, they are amazing paper cutters.

post-202-0-28886400-1450888176_thumb.jpg

And as you can see they do a great job on thin aircraft ply as well.

The laminating of the frames continues

post-202-0-43051700-1450888177_thumb.jpg

alongside other seasonal tasks I am waiting about 3 -4 hours before pulling the frames off the form then leaving a full 24 hours before doing any sanding. I have two more stations to go the one at 9' and the one at 6'. Once all the frames are laminated I will set up and fret out the centre sections, I will need to do this out in the shop where it will be a little easier than at the desk. 

The stations will then be set up on a board to receive the stern post keel, and stem elements.I will also carve a block once all the planking is done and fair it so as to make a mold for the lead keel.

If I don't get a chance to wish everyone a great Christmas holiday and any other forms that are celebrated at this time of the year.

Judy and Me wish you all Merry Christmas

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Looks Great, Michael, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well

Best Regards,

Perte

post-7445-0-26516000-1450921532_thumb.jpg

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks Pete, I have been thinking about the sail plan and thought that this rig  from DanO on the wooden boat forum is the one I would like to adopt, I read Dan's reason for the gaff rig and liked what he had to say. scroll to the bottom of the page to read the reason.

Michael

This is a great series of pictures on the construction of a full size hull and of pouring the lead keel which had an all to familiar ring to it. this relates to the boat in the previous post.

Michael

Based on the comments in the wooden boat article by Dan O I have drawn the new sail plan thus. the jpg is 50% PDF full size for model

post-202-0-62995300-1450962699_thumb.jpg

sail plan.pdf

Michael

Hi Patrick, The other thing that I particularly like about the gaff rig is the lower Centre of effort of the rig.

I have tweaked it just a little, by lowering the gaff jaws and raising the peak this moves the CE just a little forward as well without changing the sail area by any significant amount.

post-202-0-18312600-1450965773_thumb.jpg

sail plan 2.pdf

Michael

Druxey, the reason i raised it a little was because in reviewing the photo once more that Dan had posted on his blog I noticed that the gaff was pretty much the same angle as the forestay, I could split the difference and see how that looks because I tend to agree with you.

This is a better configuration I think

post-202-0-77938000-1450969211_thumb.jpg

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Hi Michael, the Gaff rig looks good ( wooden boat forum, and your drawings ), It gives the Boat that 12 1/2 flair, I am partial to the Marconi rig, Are you planning on Sailing the Boat?

Besat Regards,

Pete

post-7445-0-24878900-1450970615_thumb.jpg

post-7445-0-21989700-1450970677_thumb.jpg

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Michael, I like the last drawing (#18).  Since the peak of the gaff is farther back than on the Marconi, you may have to move the mast forward to keep the centers aligned.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Hi Bob, Yes you are absolutely correct I did an overlay of the 12 1/2 original sail plan and you can see that it is forward and scaled up is not quite as large as the one I had put on.

post-202-0-88971400-1450984779_thumb.jpg

sail plan 3.pdf

michael

Build part 3

I completed the first major task this morning all the frames are now laminated for the molds. the other frames will come after the planks are fixed.

post-202-0-33180500-1450987350_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-23765200-1450987351_thumb.jpg

I will do the final sanding after the molds are fretted out.

Michael

You're moving right along.  At this rate you'll have it finished by new years.

Bob

Thanks Bob and All the members who added likes

build part 4

I finished fretting out the molds this morning. I now have to sand the frames and fix the molds to a building board and add the transom, it will be mahogany.

post-202-0-02464500-1451140992_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-49044600-1451141011_thumb.jpg

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Hi Michael, the Frames look great, you sure are moving at a fast pace 

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Hi Michael

I agree with Bob and Pete. Boy, you're moving fast! Nonetheless, there's no mistaking the shapely lines of the hull coming through. Very nice.

I also love the way that your Bristol cutter makes a cameo appearance in the background. She must be itching to get into the water once finished

Cheers

Patrick

Thanks for the nice comments Pete and Patrick,

Build part 5

The building bard is a piece of 1x10 clear pine, I wanted to keep this simple The support pieces are 3/4 x 3/4 and just glued with a couple of small spots of glue to hold them in place without a lot of fuss. I did position them so that the stations aft of midships are set to the aft side of the line and the forward ones forward of the line. this will help when fairing the frames.

post-202-0-95068300-1451229388_thumb.jpg 

The transom is glued from three pieces of 3/16 x 1 5/16 mahogany I glued them the same way that I would a board for a cabinet. I planed the edge with a hand plane then rubbed the joints together with the glue and propped it up to dry. this method does not impart any stresses into the glued material.

post-202-0-81860200-1451229389_thumb.jpg

The plywood molds were not perfectly flat and are glued to the support blocks with a couple of spots and clamped.

post-202-0-66931600-1451229390_thumb.jpg

I will attach the transom to the stern-post once it is cut and shaped.

post-202-0-47958100-1451229391_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-48758800-1451229392_thumb.jpg

Michael

Looks fantastic Michael, Beautiful work, will you be making the Keel out of Lead? 

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Nice setup of the frames and transom.  the planking should run easy.

Bob

looks great Michael,

ca`nt wait to see when you take the planked hull with the laminated frames off the build board...

presume that in the moment only those blue tapes are holding the frames to the "molding frames"...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Bob thanks, Nils yes the blue tape is very temporary the frames still need to be finally sanded and cut to their finished lengths. Also the keel needs to be fitted before any planking goes on.

Thanks to all who pressed the like button.

Michael