Trabakul by donrobinson - FINISHED - MarisStella - 1:32 scale

This the start of my next build the “Trabakul” by Marisstella:

First up I would like to thank Marisstella, especially Zoran, not only for this great kit but also for the fantastic service and patience of putting up with my endless questions some of which were not that bright. That being said two of the concerns I had were the instructions and the shipping from Croatia and to that Zoran e-mailed me the plans and instructions. They looked real good with lots of pictures showing pretty much everything one would need, then to top it off the shipping was free ( not sure if this offer is still on you will have to check with Zoran) so I went for it putting my other kits back a little further on the list.

Time to Start:

Upon opening the box I was first impressed by the amount material it contained. This is a single planked hull, my first, so I guess I was expecting a lot less wood. I’m thinking maybe they know my skills with wood and just sent lots of extra as a way of me not bothering them anymore  :P . I went through all the packages and billets and everything looks excellent, one thing that did stand out is the fine laser cuts in the billets much finer than I have seen.

The strip wood all looks real nice and of good quality even the dowels are straight (a real bonus!!).

Reading the instruction book and going over the plans there is some challenges ahead, one being the interior which is completely finished (another first for me).

My plan is not to bash this kit what so ever and just build as is, now I said this is the plan not a promise ;) .

Here is the box and contents:

post-20628-0-62783900-1456370014_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-70903000-1456370029_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-63305400-1456370047_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-92832100-1456370068_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-47657000-1456370103_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-70947500-1456370117_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-09018200-1456370133_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-59897100-1456370172_thumb.jpg

post-20628-0-09588500-1456370530_thumb.jpg all pieces sanded and dry fitted. a little tough getting pieces out of billet but nothing unmanageable

post-20628-0-06204200-1456370552_thumb.jpg

a glass kitchen table is indispensable for this hobby, everything so far has gone well. Lots of charring but easily sanded

post-20628-0-52908600-1456370582_thumb.jpg

More to come, seem to have misplaced some pictures

Join in for the ride Mike, good to hear from you. It is going to be a real cool kit lots of different things involved in this one, hopefully I'll do it justice. What you been up to? Haven't talked to you since the "meltdown" anything new on the workbench?

Interesting boat from one of our sponsors. I'd like to follow along, Don.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Hi Don, yup I always have models on the bench.  Currently I am working on an AL stagecoach for my stepson, an Apollo Lunar Lander (in plastic) for my wife, and I just started working on the Dahlgren Howitzer that comes with the MS Picket Boat kit.  Never a dull moment in this hobby shop!!

Mike Shanks

This kit already looks fantastic!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Pulling up a chair. This sounds like a really nice kit and we already know we have a very good builder!

Best, Ian

I'll be watching along with the others.

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Wow!!.... another mfg. with good readable plans .... have fun with this one Don..... looks like a winner!!!...

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Well I am just extremely jealous

of the kit,

the quality of the plans,

and that you are doing it,

But do enjoy and i will force myself to watch.

Cheers Chris

Looks like they have some interesting kits! Way beyond the usual Victory and Constitution.

Finishing out the interior will be most interesting.

Enjoy!!

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

post-20628-0-09838400-1456596212_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-18785400-1456596229_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-09429300-1456596195_thumb.jpgHi everyone. Thanks so much for all your comments and likes, I was caught off guard by all the responses here so I took some time off to get more chairs, re-stock fridge and grab some snacks :)  :cheers: . I think we should be good now for awhile so I'll continue with the build.

Next step up after sanding the keel is fitting the bulkheads and test fitting all the notches on them. Unlike most where a snug fit is wanted between bulkheads and keel to allow for glue the Trabakul requires the bulkheads to be tight as there is no glue applied to the notches. The bulkheads all fit great with only very minor adjustment required on one of them, the last three bulkheads are left off until the four pieces for the keelson are slipped in. When the final three bulkheads are installed the two side pieces of the keelson are glued into place the last two pieces are glued into place in between the side pieces. The top piece needs to be aligned properly as this forms the ledge for the floor.

After keelson was completed the support beams were all installed, again everything fit with precision, only at the front bulkhead did I need to do some minor filing and that was just put a little bit of an angle on the notches to allow beams to fit properly. After glue dried I removed her from the cradle and glued the bottom of the bulkheads. This was a little overkill as once the keelson and support timbers were installed this boat was absolutely tight and sturdy.

This ends the first part of the build next up is the interior, wish me luck.

post-20628-0-87864300-1456596267_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-74435000-1456596287_thumb.jpg

Have A Good One

post-20628-0-00553700-1456596245_thumb.jpg

post-20628-0-42725600-1456597243_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-42346300-1456597259_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-97308200-1456597276_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-83859700-1456597295_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-64419800-1456597312_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-62686400-1456597332_thumb.jpg

I'm a little off with the glue here, hard taking picture and glue at same time the rest are better :)  post-20628-0-47520300-1456597349_thumb.jpg

I'm off to the refreshment ridge, anyone need anything? ;)  :P

Interesting build Don...looking forward to the interior build....

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

No glue on the bulkheads?  This is interesting.  Looking good, Don.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Good Morning Don she is looking like a fun build

and you are doing a top job as usual.

Perhaps you should save on glue by setting up a webcam,

it would be far better than whats on tv these days.

Or at least record what you are doing and we can download and watch.

Cheers Chris

Don - just wondering is that your stand (the pieces on each end) or something that came with the kit?

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Hi Don,

I'll follow along as well if you don't mind.  

She's looking great and seems like she is going to be a really fun and unique model to build.

Looking forward to seeing these interior details you mentioned!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Nice work Don ! I look forward to following along

Current Build: Willie L. Bennett - Model Shipways

Future Interests:  Friendship Sloop - BlueJacket Ship Crafters

Cape Cod Catboat - BlueJacket Ship Crafters 

Thanks everyone for your comments and likes:

Mike those are ones that I made, they are made out of 1/4" square stock

Chris I agree about the tv nowadays, but I think a video is out of the question until I clean up my language ;) , But thanks for the vote of confidence.

Don F you are so right about these kits they are fantastic, I wish I had a small hammer as you say, it sure would have been handy. Do you have a log started?

Take Care

It looks great! I think you have made me add a new ship to the list :P!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

I took a bit of a play day off from the builds and made up these sanding sticks. The interior of the Trabakul is planked and with the bulkheads and support beams there is not room to get your hands inside to sand. So I'm hoping these will help. The feet are made from 1/2" square stock and the handles from 1/4" stock. A wooden pin is used to attach the foot to handle allowing it to swivel. I made extra feet so that I can have variety of grits. I'll attach the sandpaper with double sided tape, I'm just waiting for the poly to dry.

Have a good night all, and Thanks again for stopping in. I'm off to town tomorrow Wackowolf ordered some cold apple cider that I need to pick up. :)  :P

post-20628-0-81476000-1456633981_thumb.jpgpost-20628-0-76016400-1456633997_thumb.jpg

Very good idea Don! I'm saving that one!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

Hi Don,

Well this certainly looks like an interesting model. I'm looking forward to following along.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Thanks everyone for your comments, likes and for stopping by

Elijah: Thanks, I'll see real soon if they are actually going to work or not. I'll keep you posted

Mark: I thought the same thing but this is one sturdy boat so far and it will only get stronger as the inner and outer planking get added. Right now I'm getting close to where I have to spiel planks on the interior, a little opposite from what I'm used to :o  :huh:

David: You are more than welcome to join along, good to see you here at MSW. I haven't noticed any build log yet for your Connie are still planning on starting one here?

Hi Don,

Yes, I started my build log up again today. You should find it under USS Constitution.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati