More Kit Manufacturers

mikiek

Don started a build on an interesting kit from a manufacturer called MarisStella. Granted I'm still a relative newbie to all this but I had never heard of this company before. Checking out their site - they have some interesting kits. Most are not your run of the mill Bounty or Constitution.

It seems like there may be 10-15 of the "big players"  in the kit business. We see them at all the major retail websites.  I'm wondering about these smaller guys - the ones that hardly anyone has heard of.

So 2 questions:

1. How do the small guys pop up and how do you hear about them?

2. Feel free to name any that you are aware of.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

If we're talking strictly about wooden models, then I'd say '10-15 of the "big players'" is a generous overstatement; it's more like a half-dozen. My guess is that is easier for smaller fish to join in these days thanks to the advent of 3-D design software and cheaper laser cutting and CNC milling machinery. And thank goodness for that, too, since it means modelers have more choices now than ever.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Right on Chris. There is so much of the same ole stuff. The MarisStella site was a breath of fresh air.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

There is also a Russian manufacturer, Master Korabel, http://master-korabel.com/categories/korabli, with some interesting kits.

...and of course, Mr Chuck Passaro's Syren Ship Model Company, http://www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/

Samuel Pepys notes in his diary on 19 July 1667: "the Dutch fleets being in so many places, that Sir W. Batten at table cried, By God,says he, I think the Devil shits Dutchmen."

Jolley Roger - Korabel looks interesting. I wish I read Russian.

Jolley Roger - Korabel looks interesting. I wish I read Russian.

Mike,

Google Translate is your friend on this.   It works pretty good but there some things that the translation ends up pretty laughable.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Still struggling with the Russian site. Got some translation but still not much info. Either my browser or the site doesn't work very well.

Yep Chris, with invent of Cad CNC and three D, also comes the counterfeiters and makes it quite a bit easier for them. I've noticed that there are a lot more counterfeit kits being offered by some no name companies than there were back in the 90's. But then again, I've noticed that there are quite a bit fewer named model companies around like there used to be back in the 90's as well.

mike 

Still struggling with the Russian site. Got some translation but still not much info. Either my browser or the site doesn't work very well.

Hi Mike,

A quick screen grab of their site post-19243-0-01949000-1457009250_thumb.jpg

There is some other sites that sells their products as well, although a bit more expensive:  http://hobbyterra.com/search.php?subcategories_id=89&manufacturers_id=112

Hobbyterra offers free shipping if you buy over a certain amount and you can pay with Paypal, so you will be covered by the Paypal guarantee.

I've seen a couple of their kits on Ebay as well.

Edited by Jolley Roger

Samuel Pepys notes in his diary on 19 July 1667: "the Dutch fleets being in so many places, that Sir W. Batten at table cried, By God,says he, I think the Devil shits Dutchmen."

Hey Mike, I just caught this and thought I would comment. MarisStella is a wonderful place to deal with, it is one thing to get a great kit but also to receive support such as I have is almost unheard of. When MarisStella first joined as a sponsor I was intrigued with their kits and then literally bombed them with questions, which were all answered. Now during my build my questions are still relentless and the answers still come back in the same courteous manner. 

These "smaller" manufacturers are something we should be looking at if you want something different and unique to build.

Dusek kits are another one to look at, I mean check out Nigel's log it is fantastic( love to be as good as Nigel). I myself have built Dusek's "ship's boat" and it was a great little kit(Nigel has yet to build it :) ) it is, however, part of his kit.

I guess what I am saying don't be scared to reach beyond the boundaries of the "Big Guys", I mean if all else fails ask here at MSW and you'll find all kind of guidance

Don - Thanks for the reinforcement. I am considering several of the MarisStella offerings. I haven't been in this hobby long enough yet to get a feel for who the reliable players are. I am building a Model Shipways kit and have another MS kit on the shelf. I think MS is a reliable company for starters like myself.

I just received the Victory Brig Mercury. So this is my second exposure to a manufacturer. I give Victory high marks, but I suppose they still fall into the "big name" group.

The MarisStellas of the world have a tough time with customers like me. I find it difficult to buy a kit that I can find almost no information about. On the flip side people have to buy the product for the information to get out there.

That's why I have really appreciate your latest log. Not only are you documenting your build process,  you are getting the information out there for folks like me.

Mike,

The VictoryModels part of Amati is a rather new thing.  I'm not sure if it's just name or maybe an actual division. So yes, being part of Amati makes them a "big name".

What I'm seeing is that the little guys, the newcomers, etc. are excellent in kits and support.  ME still does great support, though... the others, very mixed.

There are some MasterKorbel Korbel (I'm not sure of the name actually as I've seen it both ways) in the kit area.  They have some interesting build methods.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I checked out the Korbel kits on the hobbyterra site Jolley Roger provided. I'm not wild about the bulwark planking - all one piece. The grain is contiguous even though they carved or marked a plank edge.

There is also Polish manufacturer Bojer (family owned, the main person is Jerzy Borwiński, the name of the company is a bit misleading, meaning "sand/ice yachting"). They have four models up to date, all lasercut in 1:40 scale. The quality (what I have read on forums) is above average comparing to European biggies (AL, Occre, Amati).

Edited by Mumin

In a post another post I have, Dan mentioned Aeropiccola. They look to be out of business but their kits are still available

Thanks Mumin for information about Bojer.  I think their kits look great and they are all at 1:40 so a group of them could really show the development of the galleon.  I sent them an email asking about how they are sold; whether they have a distributor. I noticed after I sent the email that the prices are shown at the bottom left in zillotys, which is worth about a quarter (25 cents US). The prices look very reasonable to me. I have not received an answer yet. I will update this posting with any new information that they might send. The problem with the web site is that there is no English translation button that I could find. (See Mumin's posting for the link.)

CRG,

Copy the URL and paste it into Google Translate.  It should translate the whole page.   Most browsers now allow a plug-in for Google Translate so a right-click and pick "translate page" is available.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: