King of the Mississippi by Jparsley - FINISHED - Artesania Latina

Well hello boys and girls. My wife mother in law father in law and daughter all chipped in to get my my next project It is something I have been looking at for a year I know it's not the biggest grandest or most impressive model out there but I do believe she will be beautiful never the less I am proud to be building this rendition of a true American antiquity And now the unveiling of the King of the Mississippi Hope you all enjoy

post-18711-0-51646000-1462157341_thumb.jpeg

post-18711-0-69958100-1462157360_thumb.jpeg

post-18711-0-46488900-1462157372_thumb.jpeg

As you can see she is a flat bottomed girl The kit comes with a precut bottom and false keel The peices are straight and with very little adjustment I have been able to tightly place the bulk heads I am definitely more impressed with this AL kit over the quality of the constellation So far looking at all the other metal peices and the etched metal features it looks to be a good build without much need for modification I am very seriously thinking of placing lights but alas I'm not an electrician so I might need some serious hand holding If anyone one has knowledge of the parts need please let me know I do hope you all enjoy this build as much as I do

I wondered where you got off too...   This should be a fun build to watch.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Good luck with your build! I made this kit last year, and had a great time with it. It is a great addition to my shelves, especially since I live just a few miles from both the Mississippi and Missouri rivers! I have a build log on this site for the King, and there are at least one other detailing the addition of wiring for lights. I was not that ambitious. I'll be watching your progress with interest.

Thank you for the responses Yes mark I've been away from here for several months Put the constellation to the side till I get the rigging book in I ordered it in March and it hasn't arrived I've looked for it on other sites and it seems to be very hard to obtain All that's left on it is the rigging and I want to get it right Now on to the Mississippi I don't believe it was a real boat so I do not have any pictures to make it authentic but the wife likes the natural wood color so I'll stick to those

I have seen this model done several times and She makes into a real keeper.  If memory serves me Ships in Scale had a build of her and talked about some of the pit falls in the instructions.  

David B

Hi Jparskey

You got me hooked on this one! I`ll follow with interest. Will you make her a floating model?

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

Looks like a nice ship! I will follow!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Thank you for the posts guys you are more than welcome to follow comment or give advice No I do not plan to make her a floating model because she was a gift In the future I may build another one to use as a remote controlled one but this one is special Thank you again for your interest

Welcome After taking a week off for birthday and family in visiting I have progressed a little on this fine example of true Americana After placing the bulkheads and gluing them in place the bottom of the boat fit fairly nicely on Then I soaked the side panels of the hull in water for about 30 minutes and then pinned them into place I was actually surprised that there was very little sanding to be done After about 24 hours I was able to remove the pins and they held their shape making the glueing process very easy After letting the sides dry for a few hours I did a little sanding and attacked the first deck I couldn't find my claps since the move so I weighed down the middle with some heavy paint cans Seemed to work So here she sits at the moment

post-18711-0-77881600-1462944445_thumb.jpeg

post-18711-0-86153500-1462944608_thumb.jpeg

post-18711-0-92656800-1462944627_thumb.jpeg

Welcome back! Nice progress!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

I'm building my phantom, which the link to is in my signature. Other than shaping the hull and installing the keel, I haven't done much :D! I have deck carving, bulwark thinning, and hull planking in the near future. First I need to install the stem post!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

Welcome back my friends Today I started on the main or first deck First thing I did was to coat the actual sides of the 5 mm strips of wood with a sharpie or permanent marker This simulates the tar sealant to make the decks water tight I measured each strip into 10cm sections Next I measured out on the deck 5cm sections along the length of the deck laying down the central strip I alternated the slats so they were offset by 5 cm here is how she is looking

post-18711-0-20303700-1463186761_thumb.jpeg

post-18711-0-24058700-1463186800_thumb.jpeg

post-18711-0-72576300-1463186815_thumb.jpeg

Ok I have a problem with the instructions in that they have you place the planking on the main deck then flip the boat over to do the hull simply because the deck is curved and it gives a weird lay on your work surface You either support the deck on towels or foam or risk breaking off the supports for your paddle wheel I used folded up hand towels Either way Next as you can see I began by soaking a section of the veneer at one end so that it bends instead of snapping when bending it at the stern With a light pressure you can glue the stern down and let it dry for a few minutes then lay it over and it forms a nice line Make sure you start with a strip down the absolute middle so that planking is even on both sides as you progress outwards Do alternating on each side Here she is in the early stage of planking Good luck right

post-18711-0-06294000-1463538969_thumb.jpeg

post-18711-0-58641200-1463539046_thumb.jpeg

When I built this kit, I did plank the main deck before the hull, but I did not glue the planked assembly on to the hull until both were planked. A word of warning - be careful with the extensions at the rear of the deck, where the paddle wheel will be... they can snap off quite easily.

Ok guys they hull is planked sanded and varnished now it wants me to install the keel and bow peice However I'm not sure how they want me to put it on it sits at a very strange angle and means I would have to sand down the bow quiet a bit If anyone has a idea please let me know

post-18711-0-55715300-1464111963_thumb.jpeg

post-18711-0-11830000-1464111975_thumb.jpeg

post-18711-0-00850600-1464111989_thumb.jpeg

post-18711-0-96619600-1464112004_thumb.jpeg

If I am remembering correctly, you were supposed  to leave a gap at the bow between the two sides of planking, fitting the bow and keel pieces between the to runs of planking. In my case, I dry fitted the keel piece, marked where the planking should end, then ran my planks to that point with a slight overlap. This allowed to sand down the opening, making for a nice, tight fit for the pre-cut keel  and bow. I wish I had taken and posted a lot more pictures, but my build log is on this site. I was pleased with overall result, despite my rudimentary modelling skills.