Fair American by ASAT - Lauck Street Shipyard - 1/48 Scale - Craftsman kit with Full Rigging

So, I am posting this log as a result of seeing the build log of DocBlake's Fair American in which he posted a reference showing this kit in full rig done by Mike Lonnecker - http://www.thenrg.org/resources/59-3%20NRJ%20%20Building%20Fair%20American%201789.pdf

My build was about 90% complete until I saw his model and now I want to fully rig mine as well. So I guess I am back to around 60 - 70% complete. I have really enjoyed building this kit, it was my first POF attempt and I not only had fun but I learned a lot about POF building and am pretty confident that I could apply the same techniques to another subject and be successful. After deciding to rig her I needed to find some resources so I tried asking in the plans section for a set of the Model Shipways plans as they include the masting and rigging in1/48 but I didn't get any response but I have since located a set of plans and am eagerly awaiting their arrival. Until then I still have to do some railings and install the head rails and pin racks, channels, deck furniture and complete the stern. Here are some pics of her current state of construction, pretty much out of the box except for the aft cabin deck detail that I did to try my hand at doing inlay work.

post-574-0-78586900-1476315318_thumb.jpeg

post-574-0-79199300-1476315340_thumb.jpeg

post-574-0-06583700-1476315359_thumb.jpeg

post-574-0-88060600-1476315413_thumb.jpeg

post-574-0-15387400-1476315428_thumb.jpeg

post-574-0-65474600-1476315561_thumb.jpeg

Edited by ASAT

Looking forward to watching this beauty grow further 

Beautiful job, Lou. The marquetry is exceptional. The continuation of the deck planking aft up the face of the quarterdeck partition looks a bit unusual to me. Were you going to place a strip of molding at the transition? In addition to Doc Blake's exceptional model, perhaps this one from the American Marine Model Gallery will further inspire and provide a few rigging hints: http://www.shipmodel.com/files/fair-american-full-hull-webfair-american003.jpg

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Robin, Mike and Don,Thanks for the kind words and likes - Mike, do you have a log or pics of your AVS? Special thanks to you Bob, your MS Fair American was a big part of the inspiration to fully rig mine, when I was researching MSW examples of completed models. Compliments from the likes of you and Greg inspire confidence, I know you guys have a discerning eye and an abundance of talent! Greg, that continuation puzzled me as well, I know there should be a panel bulkhead there and I was going to attempt a frame outline of sorts but that panel is also the aft mount for the ships wheel so it might need to be flush. Since the rest of that bulkhead will be missing to leave that area open to the cabin area I think mr. Hunt just simplified the mounting area. It is mostly hidden after the wheel is installed but I am open to any suggestions for improvement. Thanks for that link to that beautiful FA! There are more than a few rigging hints, I like the ships boat and I have not decided whether or not to do the quarterdeck railing more realistically, the LSS version is just a straight top rail, no curved framing or gunport? framing.....

Hi Lou.  I did my AVS build log over at the LSS forum.  But I did post the completed pictures here:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/gallery/album/1235-132-lauck-street-shipyard-avs-by-mike-shanks/

I built mine exactly like Bob's prototype.  Dave did a fantastic job with wood substitution and additional details on his.

Enjoy!

Mike Shanks

Well I redid the planking on the quarterdeck bulkhead transition area, I thought Greg was right, just did not look correct to continue the deck planking there - I like it much better, thanks for the input!! Here is a front and rear view....

post-574-0-80974000-1476395115_thumb.jpeg

post-574-0-66330400-1476395129_thumb.jpeg

Made the quarterdeck railings today, the supplied stanchions were only 5/16" and with the amount that they are recessed into the railings there was only about a 3/16" height difference between the top rail and the upper rail so I made some some 5/8" stanchions and that raised the railing to 3/8" which looks closer to the MS plans and at least gives some realistic fall protection to a sailor on the quarterdeck.... I also did not like the end grain of the walnut stanchions poking through the railing so I "capped" the upper rail with some bubinga stripwood that I had in my stash, also the top railings in this kit just "end" and the other renditions I have seen have a angled piece going forward and ends in some scrollwork - I did the angle but I am hoping that one of you can point me to the best way to make that scrolled end piece - don't have permission from anyone to post their pic of it but maybe look at rafine's ms FA and you will see what I mean... Anyway here is some pics.....

post-574-0-72027900-1476755005_thumb.jpeg

post-574-0-95904500-1476755022_thumb.jpeg

post-574-0-59837100-1476755034_thumb.jpeg

Edited by ASAT

I saw Mike Lonnecker's FA at the NRG conference (actually, helped carry it to the display room from the parking garage), and it's a fantastic model when fully rigged.  I think you'll love it when you are done and not regret making this decision, Lou.

Brian, I know.... It was like a epihiny when I saw his model, just sets it "that much" above and beyond the stock kit.... Hope I can execute it like I envision it.....

Lou

Lou,

Outstanding craftsmanship!

Very nicely done.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...