I received my copy of the DVD today after a short wait for it to come from the USA.In a nutshell and Australian film crew spent 8 weeks filming with Dr Mike in his workshop.Michael Bezverhny is a Russian master modelmaker who at the time this DVD was produced,was the only modeler to ever score a perfect 500/500  in the world shipmodeling championships.He is actually a fully qualified heart surgeon who earns more money building ships to commission.I only actually stumbled on this DVD by per chance when looking at Dr Mike's work on the internet.I do thank Brian C for confirming it was well worth the purchase as he already had a copy.This DVD is by no means a new release,but doesn't appear to have been mentioned here before.

The DVD is just over three hours long and rather than actually following the build of a specific model,Dr Mike demonstrates various techniques used throughout the build process,however is work in progress build 'Rivoli' is used many times to illustrate where the various techniques apply.

Don't expect a Steven Spielberg production as the editing is amateurish and a little disjointed in places,however the is nothing amateurish about the work being demonstrated.On the whole,any builder whatever there level of experience will learn something from this DVD.My only disappointment was that Dr Mike's hot melt adhesive technique for hull plating wasn't shown.

So if you fancy an insight into how IMHO one of the finest,if not the finest model shipbuilders in the world does it,this is well worth a look.

Details can be found at  www.modelshipbuildingsecrets.com

I am in no way affiliated with the production company involved,just a happy customer.

Kind Regards Nigel

post-1641-0-70510000-1392138887_thumb.jpg

Edited by Matrim
moved title all caps away

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Nigel,

That sounds very interesting, I'll take a look.

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Nigel,

Unfortunately, all I could find was a woman named Mariann – and a site building lego models. :huh:

Kester

My apologies Kester,the homepage no longer seems to be valid.the link above that Pete has shown does.They do also have a page on Facebook.They have made some changes to the site as they were experiencing problems with Paypal transactions.I originally tried to order mine in December,but encountered issues with the Paypal in that it wouldn't take the payment.I did receive an email last month from them addressing this issue.I should have copied and pasted from my email,but was lazy and used the address on the box :o  :o 

Kind Regards Nigel

Thank you very much indeed again Brian for giving me the 'heads up' on this one.Yes it was very interesting,he is an extremely talented modelmaker.I think the general message that does come across is the fact that while he may have a reasonable selection of Proxxon tools,most operations are done using normal or modified hand tools,no fancy cnc machines or laboratory conditions.In fact his workshop is smaller than mine!(at least when mine is tidy :D )

I did particularly like the movement joints concealed under the central planking to allow for expansion and contraction of the timber,that is one feature I will be copying.Like I said,shame about the hull plating.Apparently he melts hot belt glue sticks in a pan and spreads the glue on the tiles with a notched spreader.These plates are reheated on a hotplate prior to fitting.He has stipulated never to use CA to glue these on as the bond weakens with natural movement of the timber.It would have been nice to see it on film.

Kind Regards Nigel

was the only modeler to ever score a perfect 500/500 in the world shipmodeling championships.

I've never heard of this. I wonder what parameters you take in account for a ship modeling championship. How do you decide what is the best? What do you base your decision on? Who comes up with the guidelines for the "best"?

Do you also sit next to this person while he builds? Are techniques judged as well?

I know, so many questions...... I need to research this on the NET.

Marc

btw. I will check out this link as I am curious what a "ship modeler champion" is.

I just downloaded the PDF. What an amazing detail. No detail is omitted. It looks like he took the original ship and shrunk it with all the details and items that make up the ship intact. The metal work is intense, the canon barrels have all the printings of the original.

The nails on the deck planking are exactly aligned and spaced, almost too perfect.

Edited by flying_dutchman2

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Hi Marc

Here is the link to his Rivoli build on the Russian forum,and this one works :D It will give you an idea of the level in question.In Russia building model ships is a sport and the champions have almost the same 'fame' as say a footballer in the UK or a basketball player in the US.

Any modeler who makes his own nails from solid silver(for the colour) and then fits over 100 in each gunport lid is at the top of their game in my book.

http://forum.modelsworld.ru/topic3439.html

Kind Regards Nigel

Ok Nigel, thanks. I found the link, courtesy of Pete. Thanks also for the other link, the one that worked. Fantastic pictures!

Are the Russians thinking of making this an Olympic sport? :)

Kester

This is truly extraordinary work.

Brian C - can we assume from your post that you are part of bringing this work to a wider audience? And can I find somewhere a log about your own Royal William build?

I stopped short of buying the DVD, just can't justify the cost, but Dr Mike sure puts the rest of us to test. Utterly amazing.

Anyway it is all about inspiration - onwards and upwards! Daunted as I am...

cheers

A

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

I have seen clips of this master model maker on you tube. Indeed he is very talented and his work is superb. I would love to own a copy for sure!

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

I got a copy for Christmas. I just wish there were more parts/topics covered :)

Looking at the Russian site build - its just beyond beautiful.

One thing I have noticed - both on the DVD and the site - he does his deck planking in one run - no joints. To me in small scale this looks so much neater.

Current builds:

MS Syren

HM Suppy

Dos Amigos

Completed:

Schooner for Port Jackson

MS 18th Century Longboat

Bounty Launch

Ok Nigel, thanks. I found the link, courtesy of Pete. Thanks also for the other link, the one that worked. Fantastic pictures!

Are the Russians thinking of making this an Olympic sport? :)

This is an interesting question Kester :D In Russia there is a state funded body(can't remember what it's called and certainly won't be able to spell it),that promotes and judges model ship builders similar to an olympic committee.Competition wise there is of course Naviga which is regarded amongst the toughest of competitions.One of our members Garward,won a Gold medal there for his Le Fleuron cannon model

Kind Regards Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

I recieved Dr Mike`s DVD yesterday.

post-838-0-39753100-1393400454_thumb.jpg

The DVD is 3hr.18min long with the contents of :- The Plans, Internal Construction, Hull Construction, Keel Joint, Deck Beems, Gun Ports, Deck Nails, Deck Corking, Top Deck Construction, Top Deck Planks, Top Deck Nails, Top Deck Vanishing and Beveling.

There are loads great tips and it`s far too much to take in on one sitting,

Great DVD.

mij

xebec 1:60 scale, scratch build

Hi Mij

I am glad you like it :) as regards Proxxon,I noted that as well ;) The majority of builders including professionals from eastern Europe use either Proxxon tools or homemade/custom built tools.I think the info on the dvd is invaluable regarding the jigs/attachments Dr Mike has designed to get the best from these tools.I do appreciate the arguments on this forum for many of the American made tools,but if you don't live in the US and do this for a living,you need next day spares backup.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hello fellow members,

this is not against anyone who likes or purchased this probably nice DVD, but I have a Little bad tast on my toungue when seeing Promotion being made for taking Money for things that should gladly be free to members on MSW.

In my opinion it is against the Spirit of this wonderful MSW Forum. I invite the authors of the DVD to join in to this comunity and to participate in this great international Web-site

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hello fellow members,

this is not against anyone who likes or purchased this probably nice DVD, but I have a Little bad tast on my toungue when seeing Promotion being made for taking Money for things that should gladly be free to members on MSW.

In my opinion it is against the Spirit of this wonderful MSW Forum. I invite the authors of the DVD to join in to this comunity and to participate in this great international Web-site

Nils

To be honest Nils,after reading your post four times,I cannot work out whether you are having a go at me personally for posting my find of this DVD.After all in your eyes I could be seen as promoting it.My only question is,surely your argument would then apply to any modeler who chooses to write a book.After all,are they not 'cashing in' on the hobby?In my opinion a DVD is no different to a book,other than it probably does demonstrate things a little.better.

I would mention again that I have no connection with this DVD's producers.

Nigel

Nigel,

my comment was neighther me"having a go at you" personally or anybody else on this Forum as I pointed out first Thing, nor have I "acused" you for having a Connection to the DVD pruducers. So why make a fuss of it ? On the other Hand it is and stays my opinion that the spirit of this Forum is of give and take, for tips, help sucessful practiced techniques, etc, and for sharing all this with others without cashing from fellow members. Everybody of course should have his or her own opinion and is always welcome and free to do so.

Sorry if this has caused confusion between us.

If you agree, we shake Hands and enjoy our Weekend...

Cheers

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I agree with your philosophy regarding the forum Nils.I am not 'falling out' with you over this :) Your post probably hasn't come across as intended.I feel you must appreciate though there are several 'prominent' model makers out there(I am not going to mention names) who have written books etc,and were they to start posting on here,they would be inundated with so many questions,they wouldn't have time to do anything else.

So Nils,we shake hands,and enjoy your weekend

Kind Regards

Nigel

We buy books on how to build, why not a DVD.  I've been considering this one but haven't bought it yet.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

yep, good resolution and great close ups. Its a bit of a amateurish production and edit, but the commentary is explained by a Australian and translated from Russian. The techniques of the Russian master modellers are what you should be interested in. 

I think I will pick it up then. The image and sound quality are all I really had to go on as the clips they showed didn't really provide any techniques or insight as I would imagine they want to keep those for paying customers. The photos in the PDF on the web site were truely inspiring and I think even if people don't buy the DVD it is worth stopping in to see the free photos!

I bought same video a course from the Russian shop, as a part of 12 disks DVD. Yes, all understand that it very poor quality cinema installation, but the main thing in it not it, and examples of work of this master.

I think, you know a site of the Russian modellers where it is possible to  give ask und to look at their new works, you can ask questions in the English, many people very well understand this language, but also always there is Google the translator. :)

http://www.modelsworld.ru/shop/product9317.php

• 1 month later...

I received my dvd yesterday, i've watched the first chapters and already can't wait to try that technique.

I'm really glad i ordered it, money well spend.

Now only to find the time to continue watching it.

Chris

Current builds :    

On hold :

IJN Yamato by DeAgostini - 1/250

Completed builds :

Bermuda boat Corsair (scratch)

President by Sergal - 1/60