Robert E Lee by rodgerdodger - FINISHED - Amati

Great job on the Robert E Lee. I’m wanting to build this boat and am not satisfied with the detail or quality of available plastic kits so am considering the Amati kit and visiting relevant build logs. All of my experience to date is with plastic ships and planes and am cautious of tackling a wood kit. I think I have advanced skills with plastic kits and photo etch parts. I certainly have the patience needed as I spent 5 years building the Trumpeter 1:350 USS Yorktown with Pontos PE, and 2 years on the Revell 1:350 Bismarck. I got Best of Show for the Yorktown in an IPMS show. Suggestions, cautions, or encouragement to offer?

Edited by Dhart

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Is anyone still reviewing this posting who has built the model?  If so, I have a question; I am currently building it and am working on the paddle wheels.  The plans reference part number 84, which is defined as 1x3mm strip.  However, the scale drawing appears to use 1x5mm strip.  The 1x5 looks better on the model because the 1x3 does not have sufficient size to "dip" beyond the spokes like a real paddle wheel would do.  My question is which size did you use and if it was the 1x5, did you have sufficient material in the kit?  Many thanks, I am really looking forwards to doing this model.  I have made two other wooden sailing ship models and really enjoy this hobby, but these plans are not the most reliable...

I built this one a while back and used the 1X3.  It probably would look better with the 1X5, but there is so little showing that very few people will note the difference.  See closeup below.  There is an overall picture of my build in my introduction several weeks ago.

Message me if other questions.

Andy

IMG_0347.JPG

• 7 months later...