Hello all

I am enjoying building kits very much, but look forward to kit-bashing and eventual scratch building.

While working on my kits, I will need a piece of (for example) 1/16 x 3/64 basswood.

First, I paw thru my all my kit wood for basswood, then search each little bundle for the 1/16 x 3/64.  This is such a hassle.

So, some questions for the forum:

1. How do you store your strip wood?

2. Vertical of horizontal?

3. Does each type of wood get it's own container, and each size as well?  

This would mean that you would have separate storage for: 1/8 x 1/8 boxwood, 1/8 x 1/8 cherry, 1/8 x 1/8 holly, 1/8 x 1/8 basswood, 1/8 x 1/8 walnut, etc.

4.  How do YOU organize?

5. Other considerations?

Pictures would be appreciated.

J Sherrod

Hi J,

I have a huge storage of strip stock. I keep the long plastic bags that the stock comes in and label the size and then place all that size in the bag. Every size and wood type has its own bag. The size and type is marked on the top of the bag. All of the bags are stored upright in a tall bucket. It is easy to find what I need this way. If you have different types of wood, you can also have different buckets. I have several buckets.  :)

Vince P.

I bought some vinyl fence post covers (square) that measure roughly 4 inches by 4 inches and cut them into 3 foot lengths.  I marked them with a Sharpie by species.  They lay on their sides.  I also have several shoe boxes with bits in baggies and rubberbanded.  Judging from the way my storage area looks, I can use some more.

post-76-0-73579400-1408758236_thumb.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Vince and Mtaylor's advice is good.  Do it like they do in the hobby shops.  Otherwise you're like me and constantly sorting through a mass of wood to find what your looking for!

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

I use large postal tubes. Bought in dozens the box that they came in, strengthened with gaffer tape, makes for a modular storage unit.

The box, or boxes eventually, is/are stored in my workshop roof space.

I have also used square section plastic gutter down pipes cut to length and then glued together to form a grid arrangement.

My bet is that individual imagination will provide many more solutions.

Mike.

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

My experience with storing strips vertically is they take on a bend.  Find a way to lay them flat. 

Maury

• 3 weeks later...

I just implemented this method, using 2" square by 25" square mailing boxes. I cut a section of the top off so I can get the full length strips in the boxes.

post-1072-0-55396800-1410548064_thumb.jpg

post-1072-0-98376800-1410548064_thumb.jpg

post-1072-0-58127900-1410548065_thumb.jpg

I bought these on Amazon.