Homemade Mini Clamps

I thought that I might start to make a few homemade mini clamps to use for shipbuilding and I remember that on the old site I came across a wooden clamp that was in the shape of a C and used a bolt and washer and a nut. It was used in some way in the framing process. Do you think I can find it now? No. I have done a Google search for images etc... I can't find at all.

So, I thought why not place a post on MSW and lets see all of the mini or not so mini clamping systems that the users have made.

So lets see if we can help each other and show some pictures and share some ideas. I sure would like to see some of the contractions that members have come up with.

Sorry, I can't be the first because I haven't made one yet, :D  

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

I would like to second that. I know I've seen some really neat clamps by Danny Vadas and would love to see an instruction sheet on how he made those neat little clamps, but I know he must be busy rebuilding his logs. I also saw some neat clamps on another builder's log page but don't remember where.

So if any of you have the time, thanks.

Alex

Check EdT's Naiad build log.  I think they may have come from him.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Check EdT's Naiad build log.  I think they may have come from him.

Mark

I checked EdT's Naiad log and I did see a couple of clamps that looked homemade and very nice, but they were not the ones that I was searching for. 

By the way, I like the way the new site looks and handles. I was able to look up his posts very easy.

Edited by Long9Ron

Ron

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

I would like to second that. I know I've seen some really neat clamps by Danny Vadas and would love to see an instruction sheet on how he made those neat little clamps, but I know he must be busy rebuilding his logs. I also saw some neat clamps on another builder's log page but don't remember where.

So if any of you have the time, thanks.

Alex

Alex

You're right. Danny Vadas has made some nice clamps and has pictures of them under his HMS Vulture build. He does mention that someday he will make a post on how he made them. That would be nice to have.

Ron

Dan had also shown a lot of clamps in his Vulture build log.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

The clamps that I was thinking about were something like the picture below. I'm not a very good artist. :D I know that I saw something like this somewhere on the old site. It was used by placing between the frames to hold down the planking while gluing in place or whatever else. I thought it was a great little clamp and would like to make some. Which I will do. Anyway, if anyone has some pictures of clamping devices they have made, please share. Thanks

post-327-0-11921900-1362078693_thumb.jpg

Ron

Hmm... is that the one with the toothpick that holds from the other side of the frame?  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hmm... is that the one with the toothpick that holds from the other side of the frame?  

Mark

I know what you mean there, but I think it was just the washers that held it in place on the underside and on the top of the frame. The washers being big enough to straddle the two frames. The wood piece just big enough to go between the frames.

Ron

Are you looking for this type:

attachicon.gifIMG_8545.jpeg

attachicon.gifIMG_8546.jpeg

Like Mark said it has a toothpick on the other side to hold it.

Remco

Remco

They look nice, but not the ones I was thinking about. Same principle though. 

Ron