Louise by Mike Dowling - FINISHED - Constructo

Hi everyone.

Thought you might like to see my next build.

This one is to tide me over until I start another big build. Louise is a small Victorian steam launch, the kit from Constructo who I have never had anything to do with before.

The kit arrived in a nicely packed box with various bits and pieces in numbered bags that are referred to in the parts list. The build instructions are in a booklet in about a zillion languages including English accompanied by a booklet of photographs at various stages of the build. There is also a 1/1 plan sheet showing side elevations and various parts of the build including the boiler construction and that of the cabin.

The only laser cut parts are for the deck and the hull frames. The rest of the kit is various sizes of five different types of wood which seem to be of good quality.

post-10647-0-43466400-1417022576_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-17291300-1417022637_thumb.jpg

Current build : Gorch Fock Occre

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

So, I have made a start. The hull frames are cut in half which means that each side has to be attached to the false keel separately. A rather strange and unnecessary complication to my mind and very difficult to line up squarely. Three of the frames had to be planked and varnished prior to attachment as they will show from the top of the boat and there is no access once the deck is on.

The added complication of this build is that five of the frames have to removed after planking so they are only there as guides and cannot be glued to. This has proved to bit a bit of a nightmare. Once the frames were attached a 'ribband' had to be run along the length of the hull but only attached to the non-removable frames making it hard to glue bendy pieces of wood. Anyway, once on the deck had to be cut out and glued onto the ribbands and fixed frames. The sheet containing the deck was poorly cut with the laser which had failed to cut right through the sheer so some delicate knife work was required to remove the parts.

Finally achieved the deck has now been fixed on and I have faired the hull ready for planking with 2 x 5mm sapele planks.

One rather good thing about the kit is that a set of veneer is included for those who want to double plank the hull. I think in view of the construction this may well be required but it is nice to know it's there in case.

post-10647-0-11450100-1417023389_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-84528700-1417023437_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-22372900-1417023478_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

Louise is a nice looking boat.  It will probably be a fun build.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I guess you could turn this into an RC model but it might be a bit small.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

• 2 weeks later...

Here we are again !!

Louise now has a layer of planking on her hull. The wood used was 2 x 5mm sapele which in my humble opinion was too thick for a boat of this size. It was difficult to bend and much prefers to return to being straight. What I thought would be a problem was in as much as I couldn't glue the planks to most of the frames because they have to be removed and even trying to glue the plank edges meant missing out the areas of the frames.

Anyway she has been sanded and sealed but, if I leave her as she is she will still be sanded again and have at least two coats of clear gloss varnish eventually. I am hopeful that that would make the lines between some of the planks less noticeable.

My question is does she need planking again with veneer or is she OK as is ?

post-10647-0-60783800-1418401606_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-13025700-1418401690_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-28510600-1418401730_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-53059200-1418401765_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-01110500-1418401808_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-46989800-1418401850_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

I would not cover planking that looks that good with another layer.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

I thought you might like to see my progress.

Louise has had her frames removed and now has her keel, her transom piece, her wales and the floor and deck have been planked.

Next stage is to put some frames back in - weird eh ?

I have also been bending the wood for the cockpit frames. Those are quite some bends to expect from 1.5 x 7mm sapele and the eagle eyed amongst you will notice that both bends split at the tightest part. I can't say I am surprised but I hope my repair will have worked  when I remove them.

post-10647-0-59678000-1418825678_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-06706800-1418825728_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-26670800-1418825776_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-06669200-1418825816_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I have rushed ahead somewhat without many updates but here we are. I managed to bend those cockpit surrounds and the trim to go with them and the splits I got have fortunately come out better than I expected so they are now on and varnished.

The boiler I worked on whilst waiting for the surrounds to dry. A lot of wire bending as you can see - not my favourite part as I have always preferred woodwork to metalwork but I am quite pleased with the final result.

Then the cabin had to be made from individual strips of wood, no laser cut ply backing for this ! A good lesson in marquetry I guess, not something I had tried before but I can include pictures of the making and the finished item.

post-10647-0-27124000-1419952160_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-56518300-1419952230_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-67691700-1419952278_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-66208900-1419952320_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-44450300-1419952356_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-07145400-1419952400_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-29743200-1419952437_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-23413900-1419952488_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-36287400-1419952533_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-09661600-1419952563_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-75112700-1419952591_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Beautiful woodwork, your detail work is fantastic.

Bob

Happy New Year to all.

A big thank you to Cap'n'Bob and GuntherMT for your generous comments. All I had to do next was put the bits together, add the awning a some deck furniture and Louise is now finished.

She turned out quite well I think. I did go to the extra expense of buying some brass rod because it gives a much better result. Why do these kit manufacturers include brass wire wound up ? It is impossible to straighten properly and gives a very poor finish although I have to say I used their stuff for the boiler fittings.

Anyway, I hope you like her.

post-10647-0-96954300-1420130890_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-08912600-1420130923_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-15857300-1420130987_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-66605000-1420131019_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-38501200-1420131051_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-63779800-1420131076_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-65987700-1420131105_thumb.jpg

post-10647-0-70898700-1420131144_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Fine job, she looks great, you should be proud.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Thank you Cap'n' !

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Hello Mike!

Wow, what a quick build and a great result!  I agree with Cap'n and say that I hope you are proud of how she came out as your "Louise" looks fantastic.  Your woodwork and planking really does look so good even though you questioned it :)

I can't wait to see your next project.  Congrats again on another great build!

A very nice build. She should fly a red ensign rather than a Union Flag at the stern (see GB03, http://www.becc.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d31.html).Flags can be made to hang more naturally if you soak them in water and bend them to the required shape. Once dry they should keep the natural hang of the flag.

Happy New Year,

Mike

The only reason I put the Union flag on Louise is because that is what came with the kit. Also it is printed on pre-glued paper so there is no point in trying to soak it and any bend you try to put in just straightens itself out again. Anyway, I don't really feel that it detracts from the rest of the boat.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

Especially for mcrwilk !

Louise is now flying the red ensign !!!

post-10647-0-50295300-1420292709_thumb.jpg

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

• 2 years later...

hey howya goin Mike mate, your a great model builder, its a pleasure to go through your build logs.   :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

• 7 months later...

Mike; when planking the planks at the stern take a 90 degree twist. Do you just soak the wood

or what? Thank you.....Moab/Allan

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

Sorry for the late reply, I have only just found your question.

I did only soak the wood but it was a difficult job. If it helps I find sometimes if you soak the wood, then let it dry and then soak it again it bends better and more easily.

Previous boat builds:

Amerigo Vespucci Occre

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

• 2 years later...

Beautiful build.  I love both the wood work and the brass work.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

• 1 month later...