Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Dubz

      Hello fellow modellers   02/04/2018

      We would like to present on our Facebook page more regularly pictures of your work. If you would like to participate, and we would appreciate that as we wanna promote the forum this way, please visit https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/17711-your-images-for-our-facebook-page/

    • kurtvd19

      An Incentive to Start A Build Log - New Plan Set from the NRG   03/17/2018

      An Incentive for Starting a Build Log

      The NRG’s Generic East Coast Oyster Sharpie plan sets have been selling out – we had to reorder prints 2X already.

      BUT nobody has started a build log yet.  As an incentive we have decided to reward the first three (3) MSW / NRG members who purchase the plans and start and continue* actual build logs** from the plans. 

      The build logs should be started in the scratch built forum and labeled with Generic Sharpie – by “your ID”.  When we have six or more build logs up and running we will set up a group build area for the Generic Sharpie build logs.

      The winners will be able to pick any one of the prizes listed below:

      Free registration for one day at 2018 or 2019 NRG Conference                  ($145 value)

      Shop Notes 1 and 2 set                                                                         ($60 value)

      Nautical Research Journal – all content set                                              ($145 value)

      4 CD's or 1 flash drive         

      Continental Galley Washington Plan set                                                    ($65 value)

      1 year NRG membership or extension                                                      ($50 - $62 value)



      *“Continue” means that multiple posts containing build log content must be made for a minimum of 30 days after the initial post.  Logs will be tracked by starting date and the first 3 that have continued for 30 days following their initial post will be declared the winners.

      **Note the words “actual build logs” – no fair showing a few pieces of wood and going no further just to win. 


      The NRG has a new set of plans available for purchase with a free 200+ page full-color monograph .  Check the NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD NEWS forum below for details.  This plan set is developed for the first time scratch builder with limited tools and experience.  All materials are standard strip stock available from hobby wood suppliers.  However, it is also a great project for the more experienced builder looking for a smaller project to take a break from the bigger builds.  Remember MSW Members who provide us their real name are considered members for the discounted price.  An email or call to the office before you order with your real name and MSW user name before you order is needed for the discount code.


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About robdurant

  • Birthday 03/29/1979

Profile Information

  • Gender

Recent Profile Visitors

618 profile views
  1. Your Images for our Facebook Page :-)

    You have my permission to use any/all of these photos endorsed with the MSW/NRG watermark should you think them worth using Royal Yacht Caroline (Panart) HM Cutter Sherbourne (Caldercraft / Jotika) Sherborne again, in front of keel former for Diana (Caldercraft / Jotika) - both unfinishedHM Schooner Pickle (Caldercraft / Jotika) - my first wooden boat build!
  2. HMS Victory today... a bunch of photos I took.

    Sadly not... and I live on the wrong side of the country. But you can be sure that if I find myself in Greenwich Cutty Sark will have lots of photos taken as well. I only have a couple as it stands but they do show what her coppering looks like in real life quite nicely.... (and my lovely wife giving an idea of scale)
  3. HMS Victory today... a bunch of photos I took.

    Hi Osmosis You're very welcome. Glad they're helpful. Rob
  4. HMS Victory today... a bunch of photos I took.

    I completed a model of Royal Yacht Caroline my father started before passing away, so I have some idea of the privilege and challenge of that task. I wish you and all your fellow volunteers all the best. I'm sure you'll do a great job! Rob
  5. Hi, Not sure if these will be useful to anyone in the middle of building Victory, but I visited today and took a bunch of photos... you can find them here... Flickr photo album I'm particularly pleased with the shot below, including an example of an early 19th Century orange plastic bucket (!) - a perfect example of the thing you DIDN'T see when you took the shot! Anyway, they're there, and if they're helpful to anyone, then I'm glad. Any questions about where the shots were taken, let me know, and I'll attempt to answer them. Rob

About us

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research

SSL Secured

Your security is important for us so this Website is SSL-Secured

NRG Mailing Address

Nautical Research Guild
237 South Lincoln Street
Westmont IL, 60559-1917

About the NRG

If you enjoy building ship models that are historically accurate as well as beautiful, then The Nautical Research Guild (NRG) is just right for you.

The Guild is a non-profit educational organization whose mission is to provide support to our members in their efforts to raise the quality of their model shipcraft.

The Nautical Research Guild puts on ship modeling seminars, yearly conferences, and juried competitions. We publish books on ship modeling techniques as well as our world-renowned quarterly magazine, The Nautical Research Journal, whose pages are full of articles by master ship modelers who show you how they build those exquisite details on their models, and by maritime historians who show you what details to build.


Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research