Jump to content


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

1 Follower

About shane762

  • Birthday 09/05/1972

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    New Market, MD

Recent Profile Visitors

163 profile views
  1. Serv-O-Matic as art?

    That looks great, I bet I could make a five or six week project out of assembling it. Maybe I'll have the only Syren Rope Walk featuring Marquetry. Seriously though I'll definitely be picking one up.
  2. Howdy all. My modeling time is currently in short supply thanks to my three-month-old baby. Even though I don’t have the time, energy or concentration to really dig into a model I’ve still had the urge to work on something. ANYTHING. I had recently purchased a Serv-O-Matic from Syren and the cherry it’s made of was so beautiful I decided to make it my project. I don’t think I need to do a review of the project as I see so many of them in use on various build logs, but I’ll just say to anyone debating about getting one – Get it! The quality is terrific, and Chuck’s service can’t be beat. Mine had a very minor issue when I received it and Chuck had it corrected wicked quick. I followed Chuck’s instructions and spent a goodly amount of time removing all the char from the pieces. Time consuming but worth it. I used a true sander as much as possible to avoid rounding the edges too badly. After sanding to 220 grit I assembled everything but did not affix the gears or end pieces. Then I rubbed in by hand a coat of 100% pure Tung oil, wiped off the excess after an hour or so and then repeated the oil coat the next day. After that I allowed the unit and all the pieces to sit in the brightest window of the house for about a week turning the pieces each day to make sure they got even coverage. As most of you probably know Cherry darkens and reddens naturally and that process can be sped up by exposing it to bright natural light. Once I figured the Tung oil was as cured as it was going to get (not really at all but it’ll at least stop seeping) I applied two coats of semi-gloss water based polyurethane with a careful sanding between coats. Lastly, after allowing the poly a week or so to cure I applied a coat of past wax to get that soft burnished look. So below you see the result of me turning what most people would do in a few hours into a two or three week project. In one of the pictures you can see an untreated piece of cherry which gives you an idea of just how much a little work will bring out the color and character of the wood.
  3. Nice. Thanks for encouragement. Currently my house and mornings and evenings and days are dominated by 14 pounds of three month old baby. My modelling time is zilch. I'm thinking that by posting logs of my prior builds it'll at least keep me kinda connected to modelling. On the plus side I'll have plenty of time to mentally plan out my next build which will be of the E.C. Collier Skipjack.
  4. I have a question that might be hopelessly dumb. I have two builds that are well documented with photos but I never did build logs on. The models are now finished. Is it ever a thing to do a build log on an already finished model or is that considered poor form? If I were to start one would I enter "finished" in the thread title right off? I looked through many, many posts to see if this had already been addressed but I may have overlooked the answer. thanks. Shane
  5. A little late to the discussion but here are some photos of the E.C. Collier's hold. She's on display out of the water at the Chesapeake Maritime Museum. And she's what I'm planning my next build to be. Unfortunately the last time I was there I didn't have any plans on building her so I didn't take that many photos of her. But you can see the hold used to be red similar to the hull color. The cabin could literally be any color you want just keep in mind these were working boats owned by guys who didn't have a whole lot of extra money. Probably the best way to determine a good interior color would be to go out to your garage, see what house paints you have left over from the last time you painted and use that. Ok, kidding but not by too much.

About us

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research

SSL Secured

Your security is important for us so this Website is SSL-Secured

NRG Mailing Address

Nautical Research Guild
237 South Lincoln Street
Westmont IL, 60559-1917

About the NRG

If you enjoy building ship models that are historically accurate as well as beautiful, then The Nautical Research Guild (NRG) is just right for you.

The Guild is a non-profit educational organization whose mission is to provide support to our members in their efforts to raise the quality of their model shipcraft.

The Nautical Research Guild puts on ship modeling seminars, yearly conferences, and juried competitions. We publish books on ship modeling techniques as well as our world-renowned quarterly magazine, The Nautical Research Journal, whose pages are full of articles by master ship modelers who show you how they build those exquisite details on their models, and by maritime historians who show you what details to build.


Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research