CUTTY SARK by keelhauled - Mantua - kit bashed - First wooden ship build

Auh!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

nice blocks  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Popeye and George!!

I'm traveling a lot right now for work, so I'm not getting much done.  

So, here's a quiz.  What's wrong with this picture?

post-606-0-29323800-1433902075_thumb.jpg

Answer:  The cross members are in the wrong locations!  They are in front of the masts instead of behind the mast.  The stays will be in the wrong location.

All three masts are the same!   :huh:  :angry:

Next Quiz: who is the dumbest builder on the site?

Answer:  ME!!

How did I miss this as much as I've been working on the masts?  So the good news is that the mast weren't glued into position.  The bad news was that the cross trees had to be torn apart.. AND the main mast has eyes that wont allow the top mast to lift out of position to step it down.  I guess that they must remove the eyes on the actual ship if the had to un-step the mast.  unfortunately for me, mine are epoxied in place. Therefore, I'm having to take the cross tree apart with the mast fully stepped.  Ahhhh!

The other good thing is that iso-propyl alcohol did a great job dissolving the wood glue.

I guess I should be really happy that I noticed it before I start putting sails on yards and yards into place.  I've been temporarily stepping the masts and dry running standing rigging looking for other issues.  found that I'm missing some blocks and eyes.   oh and that the cross trees were wrong.

Two steps forward, two steps back.  Oh well

Fair winds my friends :cheers:

Edited by keelhauled

That's a bummer you have to re-do them, but at least you caught it when you did, before they were glued to the deck and the rigging was started. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Very enjoyable build, love it,

cheers, Daniel, also master of rebuilds ;-)

Edited by dafi

it happens........damn those gremlins!  :D     you caught it when you did.   you'll make a full recovery  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

So, I've been busy this week.  At last I finally had a chance to work!!

I partially tore apart the cross trees on all three masts moved/reassembled them correctly.  Now they just need to have the paint touched up.

post-606-0-09792800-1434332211_thumb.jpg

post-606-0-36037300-1434332442_thumb.jpg

finished adding all of the blocks to all three masts

post-606-0-79791100-1434332367_thumb.jpg

post-606-0-89799000-1434332366_thumb.jpg

checked the chain clearance on the bowsprit

post-606-0-51894400-1434332210_thumb.jpg  

I also started work on MK III of the deck houses (never happy)

Edited by keelhauled

Marc, where did you pick up those large cutting mats? The only ones I've spotted are small and priced higher than a giraffe's rear-end.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

WOW !!!!

In progress:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

like the looks of the bow....very nice!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Marc, where did you pick up those large cutting mats? The only ones I've spotted are small and priced higher than a giraffe's rear-end.

George,

Have you tried art-supplies shops? That's where I get mine over here. They are expensive, but I think they are worth the investment.

Thanks George, Popeye, Nenad, and Grant!

I really appreciate the support!

the Gremlins are at it again!  I just tried bending the painted copper for the  lower dead eyes.  I saw someone else painted the copper before bending, so I did the same.  The enamel paint cracked and flaked off completely upon bending.  So I've been repainting 58 copper wire pieces for the dead eyes. After bending first, of course! 

post-606-0-58474000-1434415494_thumb.jpg

George, I bought the mats at an art store too.  they weren't cheap, but much less expensive than what the model suppliers were charging.

I finished the 3rd version of the Deck Houses

The forward House

post-606-0-99635900-1434415433_thumb.jpg

The aft house 

post-606-0-38550100-1434415436_thumb.jpg

post-606-0-51294700-1434415438_thumb.jpg

I dry fitted the mast - just to see the scale of this model.

Pretty Large.  That's a 12 inch aluminum ruler centered below the hull

post-606-0-04622000-1434415484_thumb.jpg

Edited by keelhauled

Thanks for the info Marc. Happens there's a Dick Blick Art Supply 1/2 mi from here. Those cabins are just beautiful Mark, and wow, she's a big model. Has to be well over 4 feet when she's done. The Revell I did years ago was only 3 ft., and I thought that was big then.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Nice work on deck houses. Gremlins can move in. But keep doors safe.

How do you plan to attach deadeyes to bulwark? There will be "some" force from lines there after rigging, if you intend lines to be straight. It seems to be tricky part

Mast structures look fragile? Huh ... real entertainment starts

Do you plan golden (glass) cage for Her?

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

sweet job on the structures....hard to get the moldings right to get the right look  ;)  but you've made a huge jump forward......the build is looking a lot better for it.   ...and yes,  that is a sweet size for a ship like this.   there is so much more that can be added to the build.

if your going to paint brass rod or wire......try this.   use steel wool,  or fine sandpaper on it before you paint.  most metal rod or wire,  has a coating on it,  or it is polished giving nothing for the paint to cling on to.   this will rough up the surface of the rod {or wire},  so it will have a better surface to stick to.  primer first if need be.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

George, Nenad, Grant, and Popeye,

thanks for the kind words!

Nenad,  concerning the entertainment that comes with rigging delicate masts and yards.........I can't wait to see your work as well.  You may get there first!  ;)

As to the deadeyes, I'm planning on using epoxy.  I've used epoxy on eye-bolts and was unable to pull them out with pliers. The only disadvantage is that once they are in place, they will be in place forever. I'd have to cut the copper and re drill holes if something is wrong.  Unless anyone has other advice...suggestions? :piratebo5:

Thanks

Marc

Hi Marc,

your deck-housings look superbe.....

Also the mastings and the bowsprit look great

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks Marc, but I think you will finush another CS until I reach rigging

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

Nenad,

I would be amazed if you don't finish first.  although it's not a race.  You run rings around me.   It doesn't help that I'm always traveling.  But I dream of her when I'm on the road.  Always working out problems.  How am I going to deal with this or that?  I have a book full of drawings and notes.  I have pages and pages where I've traced the rigging trying to understand how it is supposed to be and checking all of the the photos I can find.

I have to tell you my friend that my model is so much better because of you. Watching you build, you drive me to redo what I have done to make it better.   You are always making it better and better!  I am glad we are building together!

Take care and thank you for the joy.

Marc

Modeler's circle, my friend. Or CS circle. Bob's work has same influence to me

One of the greatest thing in MSW, and I am so thankfull for this

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

Content of log :

Past build:

I worked on the Cutty's anchor boards. So, like so many objects on this ship, there are numerous versions and paint jobs.  Some photos have white strips painted across the boards carrying on the whales. Their shape seem to be somewhat different in various photos.

Before the restoration, the shape was more flat vertically,

post-606-0-01722800-1435266535_thumb.jpg

post-606-0-41136300-1435266558_thumb.jpg

now after the restoration they curve as they go up the ship.  

post-606-0-28237500-1435266438.jpg

post-606-0-80663700-1435267391_thumb.jpg

In the end, I decided to curve them... 

post-606-0-72972700-1435266784_thumb.jpg

post-606-0-97110100-1435266785_thumb.jpg

post-606-0-61485100-1435266786_thumb.jpg

Interestingly they look like Nenad's.  

post-606-0-82178800-1435267452_thumb.jpgpost-606-0-00162600-1435267452_thumb.jpg

I guess I shouldn't be surprised since we are modeling the same piece for the same ship.

I think I need to shave a little of the thickness near the top.

Marc

post-606-0-03601600-1435266588_thumb.jpg

post-606-0-50929700-1435266616_thumb.jpg

Edited by keelhauled

I'm Looking at the photos posted for the anchor boards.  

It is interesting how much perspective changes the appearance of how wide the boards are.  The model is taken from Campbell's plans and looks correct dead on when compared to photos taken dead on.  but in this post the model's boards looks narrow.  Maybe they will look wider when they are painted black.