CUTTY SARK by keelhauled - Mantua - kit bashed - First wooden ship build

Hi Tasmanian, 

For rigging plans, I'd use Campbell's plans. 

They can be purchased in person at the Cutty Sark's shop or online at https://shop.rmg.co.uk/collections/prints

The sail and rigging plans are 5 pounds and the general plan is 8 pounds.

For info on how to post go here: https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/forum/47-questionsinstructions-on-how-to-use-and-post-to-this-forumsite-problems-or-suggestions/

Best

Marc

Hi Denis, Lou, and Harry!

thanks for the complements and feedback.  Much appreciated!!

I'm working on the t'gallent sail now.  Will post the progress next weekend.

Best

Marc

• 2 months later...

Hi Marc, 

I am a newbie to the game, and I am in awe of your work and I have read your blog from start to finish and wow.... I have acquired the same model through a family member and I am going to give it a go. I really need help though as I have zero plans. I really am not experienced at all, and would really need step by step instructions on putting it together. What is your advise on getting easy to follow directions for this model? I am sorry for posting this on your blog, but I thought you might steer me in the right direction! Thanks chap.

charlie

On 4/19/2019 at 9:29 PM, Chuck D said:

Hi Marc, 

I am a newbie to the game, and I am in awe of your work and I have read your blog from start to finish and wow.... I have acquired the same model through a family member and I am going to give it a go. I really need help though as I have zero plans. I really am not experienced at all, and would really need step by step instructions on putting it together. What is your advise on getting easy to follow directions for this model? I am sorry for posting this on your blog, but I thought you might steer me in the right direction! Thanks chap.

charlie

Hi Charlie

Thanks for the kind comments. 

First, i would suggest getting the books i mention in previous posts as well as cambell's plans. For planking, i would follow Chucks tutorial on the subject. There are also several good books on the subject that I'll try to post later today. Also search this site for the topics you need info on.  The book of directions that came with the book were terrible and would actually paint you into a corner. The plans were better, but not great. In fact, early on stopped using them and only worked off of campbells plans.

This model and rigging is pretty ambitious for a first model. You will have thousands of hours in building and research. If that still sounds exciting i would recommend buying and building a beginner or entry level plank on frame model from model shipways or  Artesanía Latina. They have good directions. I'd stay away from Mamoli, mantua, or most other european companies for a first build, the directions are sometimes in broken english or so packed together on the plans that it is difficult to follow.

Building an entry level plank on frame (bulkhead) model with good plans will help understand what has to be done on any plank on frame model and will develop your skills. 

Message me for help when you need it and start a build log and ask for help when you need it.

Best

Marc

Thankyou Marc,

sounds like great advice! I think I may have to learn to walk before I can run! It’s going to take me a few years to get there, but I am prepared to put in the work! I will check out Campbell’s plans and try something smaller to get the planking skills polished. Do you recommend following anyone else’s Cutty build?

thanks again!

charlie

Hi  Charlie, 

sorry for the late reply...

check out these books.  They were helpful to me.

• Historic Ship Models by Wolfram Zu Mondfeld
  • ship Modeling from Stem to Stern by Roth
  • Ship Modeling simplified by Mastini
  • Ship Models from Kits by Colin Riches

Nenad has a terrific build log for the Cutty.  His ship is for all purposes is scratch built.

Harry (hoff00) has an awesome version of the kit build 

Thank you, Marc!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:42 AM, Chuck D said:

Thankyou Marc,

sounds like great advice! I think I may have to learn to walk before I can run! It’s going to take me a few years to get there, but I am prepared to put in the work! I will check out Campbell’s plans and try something smaller to get the planking skills polished. Do you recommend following anyone else’s Cutty build?

thanks again!

charlie

Hi Chap,

Just for a "Heads Up" for you, the Cutty was my third build, A/L Bluenose II, A/L Mare Nostrum, 10 and 3 months build time respectively.

Cutty was 6.5 years of weekends, something like 3,500 hours?

(Some days, I'd walk into my Ship Room and walk straight back out.😀)

As with Marc's experience with instructions, no use....

Sergal/Mantua plans are not that accurate either, some of the Rigging, (Backstays, Etc), is "Simplified" (Mi9ssing)

A couple more publications that may assist with research,

The Cutty Sark - Basil Lubbock

The Cutty Sark -  C.N. Longridge

I wish you all the best in your endeavours, happy to assist, as we all are on this site.

For you Marc, Thank you for the very kind comment,

(Apologies for "Hijacking" your thread to add my two cents worth)

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Harry, 

thank you for adding valuable insight and advice!

You are always welcome to join in the conversation!!!!

much appreciated.

I also have many days when I walk into the shop, look at the ship and walk back out.:blink:

Charlie,

I have several rules, which include never work when your tired.  I've worked a few minutes too long and in an instant caused damage that required hours to fix.  No long sleeves.  I always have some object (chair, table, whatever) preventing me from clipping the bowsprit when I move around the ship.  I use a lazy during parts of the build and have the table marked and other markers to ensure that the ship can rotate without the bowsprit striking an object (i have a block wall that always seems to be reaching out to the bowsprit).  Always wear safety glasses whenever you use power saws, dremels, etc.  I also have a rule for my wife: not to disturb me if a power tool is on or If my hands are near the ship.  A startle is dangerous for either the ship or my hands.  I don't want to damage either!

Best,

Marc  

2 hours ago, keelhauled said:

Harry, 

thank you for adding valuable insight and advice!

You are always welcome to join in the conversation!!!!

much appreciated.

I also have many days when I walk into the shop, look at the ship and walk back out.:blink:

Charlie,

I have several rules, which include never work when your tired.  I've worked a few minutes too long and in an instant caused damage that required hours to fix.  No long sleeves.  I always have some object (chair, table, whatever) preventing me from clipping the bowsprit when I move around the ship.  I use a lazy during parts of the build and have the table marked and other markers to ensure that the ship can rotate without the bowsprit striking an object (i have a block wall that always seems to be reaching out to the bowsprit).  Always wear safety glasses whenever you use power saws, dremels, etc.  I also have a rule for my wife: not to disturb me if a power tool is on or If my hands are near the ship.  A startle is dangerous for either the ship or my hands.  I don't want to damage either!

Best,

Marc  

The "Startle" is the worst....

Sounds like the Bowsprit/Jibboom is reaching out for the wall, rather the other way around....

Yup, the Cutty is long and requires special handling.

(One post I saw some time ago, was that one modeller left the Jib Boom off, (Don't recall the model), until the last.... Didn't work for me as many Forestays terminate on this.

(Had the same issues as you Chap, how to protect wots already done.)

And, yes, I had some "Breakerages" contributing to hours lost.

No Vino Collapso/Oblitarato either.... (Sorry, couldn't help myself.... 😀)

Definitely, No cats, esp. Abyssinians!!

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Thanks again guys! I feel like I am at base camp of Mount Everest looking up and thinking “what have I got myself into!’. It’s going to be a slog, but I am not in a hurry, you can’t rush these things as you guys very well know! I am still in the research portion of this project, I want to know the ship like the back of my hand! Keep you posted!

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay in posting.  

I have been working on the ship.  Not as much as I'd like!  Life gets in the way.  I've been traveling for work then I was traveling weekends to visit my wife and a sick family member she was taking care of for a month.  Everything is quit for a month!  Time to get back to working in the shop.  

I finished rigging the fore mast and rigged the main stay sails.  Problem there was I didn't think far enough ahead and the sheets actually prevented me from working on the lower main mast and would have prevented me from rigging the yards and sails on the main.  Lesson learned - don't get carried

away.

Her is a couple of photos to give you an idea of where I'm heading as far as the sails.  I wanted to reduce the sails blocking the deck and reduce some of the bulk aloft.  Essentially my model is close-hauled with the fore sail set, the main sail and mizzen will be hauled up in their gear, and the royals and sky sail will be furled.996210728_DSC_6080-lowres.JPG.94b1c1e4d3967d3c895034cec4c073d5.JPG

203053658_DSC_6081-lowres.JPG.7aaef194b80b73bf20183434426b0f77.JPG

The photos are from the Cutty Sark and Other Famous Clippers.

My sails are cork-screwed according to diagrams and actual photos of clippers.  The Thermopylae photo above shows this effect.

Here is some of my progress

The ship without the royal and then with the royal rigged.1070701583_starboardview.jpg.bc2c2d078cade3328fdcda9677062eca.jpg

1408894062_starboardview1withroyal.jpg.a02e96226b0ca4d4e4c1802f15f6a334.jpg197749544_starboardview2withroyal.thumb.jpg.82bfb575e7161f04aa835a279b8647a5.jpg

I ran the lines through the sheaves 

312592152_rigginglinesonforemainrail.jpg.b8a6c5b13b6adb479ffb1468eb4c4067.jpg1335291930_foremastlowerrigging.jpg.f2370f459ab42a1b87d931cfefe85421.jpg2023946450_foremastaftrail.jpg.f370ebd5573ccabc58ac6be6d6cd7fce.jpg1963317372_foremastmainrailbelayedport.jpg.4a13388ad6defde4f70f2289d593a6a2.jpg2036621420_foremastmainrailbelayed.jpg.d9230211856f8ec653ead7c775fc6fdb.jpg

A couple of photos of the pin rails.  By the way, the lines coming down would be a mess without the fairleads. I don't have a current photo, but will go back and take some to show how effective they were.  The other challenge was with the pins that have two lines belayed.  Once the lines are belayed with three figure 8 wraps on on those little pins there isn't much room for the line coiled lines (especially if they are the correct length).  Most only have one coil of lines on the pin.  although if one of the lines were short and the coil not that thick, I belayed both coils (mainly on the for mast pin rail and the spiders of the main and fore mast).

398294485_portrailwithlinebelayed.jpg.b864cba180c0232891fe45823a2eef51.jpg2036117687_starboardrailwithlinebelyed.jpg.c22138629f59de566d831398dcef4698.jpg

the aft view of the fore royal and top525190063_royalfromthestern.jpg.940531544ba7ff243c67b929eebdfc02.jpg274110355_topmastrigging.jpg.5525b834e2426865cb7d454a78803720.jpg

Now on to the rigging the ralines on the Main Mast!

568494750_ratlinesstarboardmainwithtemplate.jpg.b58631e74cf41b965d253c29c430b898.jpg

thanks for looking!

marc

fore mast lower rigging 2.jpg

fore mast rigging.jpg

Thanks Harry!  I appreciate the complement! 

I seem to be rigging every line at least 3 times.  Seems each time I run a line, I don't like the run and think that it can be done better.  

I'm also finding the close-hauled sails are a real pain to rig around.  They almost completely block access to the starboard side of the masts.  Makes rigging that side of the ship a very slow, delicate process :stunned: 😳😖

WOW!!!   such a nice job with the rigging Marc.  very wise not to wait on making all those rope coils ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Marc,

I've got 3 Abyssinian cats that can help with that....

(Maybe not.... Probably cause more grief playing with Rigging....)

Happy to contract them at $NZ 40.00 per hour to rid your House and Section of Rats, Mice, Etc. 😊

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi Chap,

Serious Stuff,

Thought I'd remind you since your on the Main Mast now....

The only error that I found with "Campbells" plans was a Single Bock just below the Main Mast  Band, Lower Main Course.

This should be a "Double" to accommodate the Mizzen Braces.

(I had difficulty "Retro Fitting" this, it's really difficult after the fact, a single block is installed and Rigging added, almost impossible.)

Have a look-see at the plans....

Anyway, my experience.

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Excellent job !!!!!

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Thanks Nenad!  I hope you are doing well!

Harry,

Thanks for the warning!!! 

I'm looking at the plans.  I believe I see what you are alerting to.  If you are looking at the plans, It appears to me that on the main mast, just below the band that supports the crane for the Main course , that there is a block attached to the aft most shroud, which says " 9" single seized to shroud."  To me it looks like BOTH the mizzen lower topsail brace and the mizzen course brace run to THAT same block (although the plans say that it is a "single" block.  In reality it should be a 9 inch Double block.  Is that correct?  

Sorry I don't have an ability to insert a photo of the plan.  If needed I can go back and do so.

This also reminds me that I need to make sure that I rig all blocks attached to the shrouds right after finishing the ratlines.  As you said it will be almost impossible one the sails go into position!  I also need to check all of the blocks attached to the masts for what seems like the millionth time.  I checked over and over on the fore and  still found about 4 single blocks that should have been doubles after the rigging was underway.  Each block took a couple of hours of tedious work to remove the incorrect block and replace with the correct one.  It was almost impossible to fix (at least it seemed that way).

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Marc

Edited by keelhauled
clarification

Hi Chap,

Yup, that's the Block!!

I initially had a Single tied off there. It was very problematic to replace with a Double.

Have fun!! 😊

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

No worries Chap,

Yup, it will save a bit of grief....

The Mizzen Top Mast Brace is the Inboard hole and the Main Course,(Mizzen Cross Jackyard?), the Outboard hole in this Block.

That was the only error I found in the Campbell plans. (I used A/L Plans also but did not plan for Sails like yourself. (A/L plans were a product of Abyssinians trashing the A/L C/S kit chasing a rather large Bush Rat.))

The thing I found, which may be of use is that you Rig Standing and Running "Aft and Up"

Braces "Stern to Stem" Top Down. (Worked for this chap, don't know if that's the norm but worked out o.k.)

(I say Top Down as if it's done any other way, you'll paint yourself into a corner, upper Braces are inboard, Blocs/Belaying, lower are outboard, Blocks/Belaying.... It's a real "Spiderweb" esp. for Main and Mizzen Braces.)

In my humble opinion, it might be an opportune time to attach your Pendants on all Masts soonish before Backstays, Etc. get in the way, leave plenty of line at the Belaying points for adjustment.

When are you attaching Deckhouses/Skids/Davits/Pumps/Hatches//Boats? You might need to consider the impact of these also?

In my opinion, get them wrapped before Rigging gets in the way....

I'm happy for any other criticism of this procedure, worked for me after thinking and experimenting for a few weeks/months.

I guess also that the rigging is "Live" (It Moves, Mine does.... 😊 (The Yards move in 3 dimensions and difficult to square everything.)

Once the Braces are on everything neatens and tightens up, you'll wonder what the problems ever were....

(A caveat, This was the first "Fully Rigged" Ship that I have attempted, others may have a different opinion/method.)

Your on to it anyway. 😊

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Thanks Harry, 

Good points and advice.  I'm checking the deck fixtures -Deckhouses/Skids/Davits/Pumps/Hatches//Boats as I rig to make sure that they can still be put into place.  I'm most concerned with the davits and boats aft the main mast. So far the big issue was not checking access before glueing the sheets for the main stays sails into place.   As I said earlier, the sheets blocked easy access to the front of the lower main mast and would have been a big issue for rigging the pin rails.  Luckily I was able to release the sheets from the sail - Hopefully I can get them re-attached ok when the time comes.  I appreciate the info on rigging the braces.

best, 
Marc

:imNotWorthy:

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hi Chap,

I am sure that it will all come together in the very near future, I don't think you are that far away from completion!!

Regarding "Davits" I called on a Billings offerings. I extended the "Vertical" component with a bit of Brass tube and let them into the Main Rail.. And Below, Pinned into the Waterways....

The Skids were modeled on A/L, 2 laminations of 0.5 X 5.00mm Walnut suitably clamped and curved, Brass soldered and inserted into the Main Rail.

Mantua Lifeboats were o.k. but for the Longboat/Captains Gig, I fashioned these form a bit of Balsa block, let in a Keel and planked with 0.5mm Walnut.

(I figured that since these were upside down, it didn't matter....)

(I know that space is tight on the Deck, it was for me too, without Sails!!) (I feel you pain here....I guess that the kit is not as "Scale" as it should be....)

Anyway, some hopefully good information, hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs....

As I have said previously, your on to it!! 😊

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi Michael, 

You are too kind!  This is my first wooden ship build.  Although at this rate (speed) it might be my last.  I was hoping to do three other builds, but I'm already 50.  Not sure how much time is left.😉

Thanks for the input Harry!

On a side note, for the past three years I've wanted a little bench metal lathe.  I finally found one on craigslist that was the model I was looking for. :dancetl6: I'm going this weekend to take a look.  I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but it might be too late. Hopefully it won't be a let down.  By the way, 400 pounds seems a little heavy for a bench top lathe  :omg: - at least to me.  Luckily I have a 2 ton shop lift once I get home,  but how am I going to get it into the SUV?  The current owner said two people can lift the largest part and have done so in the past. :unsure: He also said that he would help me put it into the SUV, which is extremely nice of him and raises my faith in his assessment that two people can lift it. Still......

I need to get some friends with trucks!😁  

back to rattling down the main shrouds!

Marc

Edited by keelhauled

Hi Chap,

Don't worry about the speed, if you do you'll go backwards!! 😊

(Only 50? No stress Chap, your young!! 😊 Me 21 or otherwise known as 58 years young.....)

My C/S only took 6.5 Years of weekends, I think that I've mentioned before, 3,500 hours or something like that. With Sails and all the extra tuff you are doing, it will take some time, your build is, as I have stated before, awesome!!

My colleague  in my last Tenure used to say "So many Ships, so little time." (He was/is a very funny Chap, My chosen pastime I guess.) He was probably correct.... I've got a few ship Models in storage, and, I must get back into the Sanson.... 

(In my previous post, "Main Rail" should have been "Pin Rail.")

Good luck with the Lathe, get someone else to do the lifting!!

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson