Waxing the threads

hello

now I'm working on rigging my first model ship

and i just want to understand do i have to wax the threads ?

and for what is good to do this ?

and What is best to buy and where?

:)

thank you

Michael.

"smooth seas do not make good sailors..."

:pirate41:

MY FIRS BUILD : H.M.S BOUNTY (mamoli)

SECOND BUILD :The concord stagecoach 1:12 youtube link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJzCs9umWPI 

CURRENTLY BUILD : H.M.S VICTORY (Caldercraft) : http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15501-hms-victory-by-michael101-caldercraft-scale-172/

Hi Michael. Check out the discussion about waxing rigging line on this thread. Hope it helps you.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/7480-wax-for-rigging-lines/page-2?hl=waxing

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

• 1 month later...

I have found that another sewing product is far superior to traditional bees wax. It is Heavenly Thread. Find it at your favorite quilting shop or sewing shop, such as Joanns. :)
comes in a small blue cubic container. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a "waxing" sign in the window of a beauty parlor the other day and asked them if they did ship model rigging and all I got was a blank stare. :o

You should wax because:

It eliminates the "fuzz" so your rigging will appear true to scale.

It tends to seal the thread and prevent its holding moisture ambient in the air.

It makes the thread stiffer, which can be a help in forming catenaries when portraying slack lines.

It can make threading the thread through holes easier as it makes the thread stiffer, although dipping the end of a thread in CA glue these days will turn the end of a thread into its own "needle" and is easily clipped off when the threading is done.

Beeswax will eventually dry to a hard surface which won't hold dust, but if you don't put your model in a case, it probably isn't going to last long enough for dust to be a problem.

I simply draw the thread over a block of pure beeswax several passes and then between my thumb and forefinger to remove any excess and even out the application.  Always has worked for me.