US Brig Niagara by xken - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Scale 1/64

The last couple of days rigging and hanging the two course yards has brought a whole new meaning to "yard work". Again I had to do some detective work since the plans have drawing errors and conflicts in details. I went to the picture file on the replica ship and sorted things out between the two.

Here are the two course yards rigged before hanging including the cargo lifting tackle with hooks. This may save some time for those who down the road will build this kit.

post-18498-0-25560800-1442506471_thumb.jpg

Here is the foremast yard hung in place using the same technique as the real ship as described in the assembly instructions. It would have been helpful if a final assembled perspective drawing was included in the plans in addition to the separate details.

post-18498-0-05499800-1442506502_thumb.jpg

Here is a closeup detail which I had to sort out from the replica images. This again demonstrates my lack of experience in ship building and that certain details are not explained for those building a ship for the first time. 

post-18498-0-19809300-1442506518_thumb.jpg

Here are the two yards hung in place. I now understand why certain elements are configured the way they are and result in a tight fit once in place. Now more lines can be added to the course yards before moving up to the next yards. This is like playing chess and having to think two or three steps ahead so as not to add an interference line.

post-18498-0-16211700-1442506531_thumb.jpg

Now back to "yard work".

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

Fantastic rigging work Ken.  It amazes me that you chose such a complicated build for your first ship, and not only are you doing a masterful job with it, but you are doing it in an incredibly short time frame.  

I was hanging my first (of only 2) yard on the AVS last night and thinking about how a full ship rig might make me go insane, and then come here and watch you handle it with aplomb, as your very first build.  Great stuff.

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement on this build. I completed the main mast topsail and ran out of .012" black rope; so I ordered more from Chuck as well as a couple of other items. While waiting for the order to come I decided to move onto the boom and spanker and again with more detective work due to lack of some details on the plans.

Here is a completed main topsail yard.

post-18498-0-19861900-1443047657_thumb.jpg

Next I sorted out the boom and rigged it per instructions and images of the replica ship. Here is an overall view of both the boom and spanker in place.

post-18498-0-82547700-1443047759_thumb.jpg

Here is a closer up view. What surprised me the most was how strong the boom became once rigged.

post-18498-0-82306100-1443047775_thumb.jpg

Here is a detail of the boom rigging with the boom centered with the stern attachments.

post-18498-0-69567300-1443047788_thumb.jpg

Here is a detail of the spanker attachment at the main mast just below the course yard. As rigged the lifting ropes work. Here you can also see the great quality of Chuck's rope in scale.

post-18498-0-43483700-1443048086_thumb.jpg

A rear view of the rigging in place. Here you can also see the flag halliard. Can anyone share what the size of the flag should be? 

post-18498-0-71431700-1443048106_thumb.jpg

Now that the rope order arrived back to finishing the rigging on the balance of the yards

Ken

Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

A rear view of the rigging in place. Here you can also see the flag halliard. Can anyone share what the size of the flag should be? 

Since the Niagara is larger (at least in sparred length) than the America, you should make sure to use a larger flag than the America does.   :)

For reference, the America is listed at 130' LOA, 145' sparred length, and 130 gross tons vs. Niagara 123' along cap rail, 198' sparred length, and 297 long tons.

post-14925-0-39483400-1443050742_thumb.jpg

Have fun making and hanging that flag!

You've done a great job with the rigging Ken.  :dancetl6:  I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around the fact that this is your first wooden ship build.  Very nice work. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Brian, thanks for the image! I also found this one of the replica brig which shows very clearly the size it should be for the period. Roughly 1/3 from the waterline to the top of the spanker.

post-18498-0-63019400-1443111223_thumb.jpg

Many historical paintings show ship flags being quite large compared to those today.

Being a scratch builder of various subjects and this is the first "kit" I have built in years; it is much easier to build when the parts already exist. I guess from my stand point the challenge is sorting out what is correct when conflicts arise between the instructions and the plans and also no detail on either for some assemblies. If I were an experienced ship builder with the knowledge and experience of previous builds this would have been much easier to execute. This being my first ship build my intent was to learn, which I am doing. My next build the Constitution will be much easier than this one.

Ken

Ken,

I was pretty much joking about the flag on the America.  That flag is so huge that they don't even try to fly it when the sails are up (they have a much smaller flag that fly's when they are under sail).

That flag on the Niagara is pretty good sized though, and you are right about historical paintings, although I always wonder about how much of what we assume is 'right' in many paintings is something that was changed by the painter for artistic value.

No matter what size you choose to make, based on the rest of your work, I'm sure it will look fantastic!

Finished hanging all the yards and then added the yard bracing lines. I started at the top royal yard and worked my way down. In the following images are overall views as well as closeups. I must say that I think I have tied clove hitches in all possible positions securing lines to their respective positions using tweezers. One disappointment was the inconsistency of the drilled holes in the blocks being drilled at angles which impacted the lines and caused extra time an effort to correct. In the next build  I will buy Chuck's blocks.

You may see untrimmed lines and that is to allow them to set overnight due to stretch before being glued in place.

I realized as the lines were added that each line had a prime function in the structure and interrelated with each other. I still have more lines to add from the masts to the yards for support.

Here is an over all view to date.

post-18498-0-16743200-1443463733_thumb.jpg

Here are more pictures showing details of attachment points.

post-18498-0-26325600-1443463749_thumb.jpg

post-18498-0-36266200-1443463770_thumb.jpg

post-18498-0-33784200-1443463794_thumb.jpg

post-18498-0-96832500-1443464944_thumb.jpg

post-18498-0-81355100-1443464980_thumb.jpg

Here is a front view and please forgive the camera distortion in the pictures.

post-18498-0-25743300-1443463821_thumb.jpg 

Now back to more yard work.

Ken

Fantastic work Ken.

You finished two full rigged masts in less time than I did a single mast with only one square sail.

I'm impressed.

Could not agree with you more on the kit blocks too.

Very nice work Ken. 

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Coming along really nice.  Yes, I too found out that the more lines you added to the yard arms the stronger they got.  I too also noticed the inconsistancy in the block holes.  Some times a block was not drilled at all, and for the most part I ended up drilling bigger holes anyways just to get the required ropes through the block.  I found it tedious and did slow things down but I had to remind myself that I was not in a hurry and the frustration of trying to put a rope in to a narrow hole was far more frustrating than taking a few seconds to drill a bigger hole.  Because every time I tried to put that big rope through a small hole it ended up unraveling the rope.  Which ended up setting me off even more.  My advise, slow down, drill the hole now and save your sanity later.

Even with the Syren blocks I drill them out based upon the size of line that specific block will be getting used with.  I guess it's just part of rigging ships!

Yes no matter what rigging is always a challenge. Scott I found by putting a drop of CA on the end of the rope kept the rope ends from unraveling and also hardened  the end to function like a needle to feed into holes. Once the ropes were through I just trimmed the end down very close to the glued area. My issue was not so much the hole size as much as the side by side alignment which through off the block when lines were tightened.

I am now trying to figure out the lift lines for the topsail, top gallant and royal yards which are not shown on the plans. What is confusing is some block with lines are shown in the yards lowered position but not shown in the raised position and where they attach on the masts. The picture on the box shows the yards in the lowered position with the lines clearly visible from the end of the yards to the mast. Oh well the joys of what I will call imperfect plans and my lack of knowledge since this is my first build. :)  

Ken

Your Niagara is looking great and your rigging is coming along fine.  As a first time build would you advise getting this kit or another kit?

David B

I would recommend this kit for someone that is experienced in building ships and with a knowledge of rigging. I have found the assembly instructions and plans somewhat lacking in completeness in some critical details. I found the pictures of the replica ship being very helpful in filling the gaps and resolving how to complete some of the missing information. The kit itself is amply stocked with wood and the laser cut parts are good quality. I would recommend purchasing the rope and blocks from Chuck. The cast metal parts were of good quality but I was short a few of the cleats which ME replaced quickly.

I would study both my build as well as others as supplement guidance to the assembly instructions and plans.

I would also welcome others who have built this kit to comment as well about their experiences in building as well as some of the challenges they had. Please keep in mind that this was my first ship build, but I have many years of experience in scratch building other subjects.  Despite some of the challenges I found this to be a very enjoyable build and have learned a great deal and my next build will be much smoother.    :cheers:

Ken

Finished up all the yard bracing, added the foot ropes and crane lines and cargo lifting hooks. For the benefit of novices that will follow building this I will share a couple of techniques used.

First in adding the lifting lines I found I had to add blocks to existing down lines. First I secured the lines with a little stretch to tighten the lines; then I added a touch of Gorilla Super Glue which is thicker and allowed the ability to position the blocks and tacky enough to hold onto the line. Once glue set then wrapped and seized in space.

post-18498-0-11275700-1443916371_thumb.jpg

I then added the foot ropes to the bowsprit and spanker boom. This required tying a series of knots on the line. First I did a test clove hitch on the ends to determine how much line needed to be able to use one line with the center area untreated with a mixture of 50/50 water and white glue. I then tied the knots for each side and only soaked the knots and one space at each end of the knot series. I allowed the glue mixture to set while weighted down overnight. I first tied the clove hitch to the end of the bowsprit and boom using the untreated center section; then tied the loose ends as needed and carefully formed the knotted areas to curves.

post-18498-0-33916400-1443916963_thumb.jpg

post-18498-0-05717200-1443916975_thumb.jpg

post-18498-0-27527700-1443916990_thumb.jpg

Next I added the cargo hooks and rigging. I formed the hooks using .020" brass rod and needle nose pliers around to hold the single block. Once cut from the rod I hammered the hook shape with a drift punch at a slight angle to allow for a taper to the hook shank. I then added solder to each side of the hooks to fill out the body of the hook.

post-18498-0-95549400-1443917328_thumb.jpg

post-18498-0-43424800-1443917337_thumb.jpg

post-18498-0-83401900-1443917346_thumb.jpg

post-18498-0-67640400-1443917364_thumb.jpg

I still do not have a good photo area so here are a few overview pictures of where I am at now with the above additions.

post-18498-0-54948000-1443917491_thumb.jpg

post-18498-0-48442600-1443917516_thumb.jpg

post-18498-0-78978300-1443917529_thumb.jpg

post-18498-0-66088000-1443917551_thumb.jpg

Next I will add the flag lines to each mast and then rig the anchors and down the road the hammock rails and stanchions.

Ken

Beautiful work Ken. B)  I can see a lot of guys that are wanting to build the Niagara, using this build log as a primer, since you've found the, shall we say, "short-comings" in the kit, and shown the how-to's in overcoming them. :)  If you don't mind my asking, where do you source all of your assorted brass stock, such as wire, tubing, bars, and sheet-stock. I know it will be a handy thing to keep around once I start my MS Constitution, and the other builds as well of course. 

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Ken:
It's really looking good.  Hooks look great - like how you flattened the hook portion.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

George,

I get most of my brass needs from these folks but keep in mind they have a $20.00 minimum so plan your purchases. 

http://www.specialshapes.com/

If you have a particular need and do not see it listed ask; I have gotten 1/32" tubing from them. Shop around their site you may find some interesting items. Enjoy!

Ken

"Beautiful work Ken. B)  I can see a lot of guys that are wanting to build the Niagara, using this build log as a primer, since you've found the, shall we say, "short-comings" in the kit, and shown the how-to's in overcoming them."

Read my mind....I'm defiantly bookmarking this build log for when I get back to my Niagara,  truly impressive workmanship Ken

I continue to be amazed with your build.  I understand the frustration from not bein able to find all of the lines "anchor" points on your build.  Even during my Rattlesnake build I found a couple of times where the top yard lines were not shown on the plans.  I simply found an open spot or ended up making one by tying directly on to something else like a rail instead of a pin or cleat.  Just make your best guess and keep it clean.  In all honesty, no one who has not built the ship would know.  And I bet even people who have built the ship would not know if you didn't say anything.  Don't lose sleep over it.