HMS Bounty by thomaslambo - Artesania Latina – Scale 1:48

... I'll get enough so I can do some testing....and at some point I'll post the results.

Boyd

I look forward to learning your results !!

With the additions you are making, I reckon this will be a very interesting build to follow.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

CaptainSteve,

I hope so, I have many plans for additional supplies and furniture on (and under) the lower decks.  Then I'll do more cabin additions on the middle deck (Captain's dining room and several items in the galley among others).  I also plan to change the design of the middle cabins included in the instructions.

My concern now is how much detail do I include before the very messy planking and sanding activity.  And if I wait, how hard will it be to add details after the planking is completed (no more access to the lower decks from the port side of the ship).  

I'm hoping I can cover much of the detail with tape and cellophane plastic, but dust has a nasty habit of finding it's way into almost anything.

Any ideas.....

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Hi Nils,

Thanks for coming aboard....and I really appreciate the kind words on the build.  

As you know, this is my first build so I can use all the moral support I can get.  

I just checked out your scratch build, wow really nice and love the detail work on the inside (another open hull build).....I may borrow a few of your ideas :)    

Boyd 

Yeah, certainly Boyd, go ahead,

I`ll be pleased if it can be of any help to your`s

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nils and John,

Thanks so much for following my log and all your kind words....new builders like myself need as much encouragement as we can get. 

By the way, following your builds has been an education for me....this is one very precise and detailed hobby....but I'm feeling the addiction pulling me in every day now....and the Admiral has noticed it to be sure  :cheers:

Boyd 

Hey Boyd,

Oh the dust issue! I've used a can of CleanDr multipurpose duster(used to clear sensitive electronics) As long as you don't get to close and blow your house down

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Hi Matt,

Thanks for coming aboard....and the encouraging words.

Great idea and I actually have a can of the stuff in my ship yard (I'm a retired IT guy...hence the attention to detail).

Well, guys like you just feed my addiction....one look at your build log (and a few others) and I knew I was toast....off to the dark side I go :cheers:

Boyd  

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Some additional work I did in preparation for the middle deck install (gave me a chance to use several of my power tools):

First, I went ahead and added wood dowels on the middle deck support beam/frame joints.  As noted in an earlier post I really think these joints are weak do to so little gluing surface area, so a little strengthening won't hurt (all 24 joints - inserted a 2mm dowel, set about one half inch deep at a slight angle).

Note; the Dremel Stylus tool in the picture below; it's without question one of the best tools I ever invested in….it allows precision work with the gun grip and light weight design.  I was able to drill the dowel pilot holes by free hand with the Stylus….using a small starter hole (set with a pin drill) to keep the drill from wandering off the mark.  I then cut off the dowel with my razor saw and cleaned up the joint with my nifty little Proxxon pin sander (love this thing as it’s easy and efficient).

Second, I broke out my DB 250 Lathe and played around with making some “Pillar Chock” replacements (instructions call for rounding off a piece of 5mm x 5mm walnut supplied stock).  Thought I might “kick it up a notch” with some fancy Pillar Chock’s.  Note; I haven’t installed them yet…still editing at press time on the best looking design.  When I settle on the design I'll build a template to duplicate a half dozen of them.

Third, I went ahead and started staining and painting the middle deck pieces in preparation for planking.  I’m going to stay with the same method as the lower decks (black paint and gap for tar, along with an awl and sharpie for treenails). 

However, I’m going to change methods on the main deck.  I was so impressed with Chuck’s method for simulating tar and treenails (#2 pencil, and drilling and filling holes with putty) I decided I’m going to give it a try.

post-17392-0-92432100-1428357908_thumb.jpg

Keep in mind this is not about scale (you'll never see these dowels)...so I used a larger diameter for strength

post-17392-0-69220000-1428358209_thumb.jpg

Dremel Stylus cut the pilot holes free hand with this tool

post-17392-0-56837900-1428358291_thumb.jpg

Nice little pin sander that is easy and efficient...it melts wood like butter so be careful

post-17392-0-78633600-1428358255_thumb.jpg

My new Proxxon DB250 Lathe...been waiting to use this little gem...love the way you can feed a whole piece of stock through it  

post-17392-0-36549100-1428358334_thumb.jpg

First (free hand no template) test version of a fancy chock dry fitted so I can check the look out 

post-17392-0-26004800-1428358357_thumb.jpg

I didn't realize the value of closeup HD pictures of your work, as it allows you to check details you normally might miss with the naked eye. I'm thinking I need to stain the chocks darker to match the door frames and possibly need to close the gaps between the facade wall and the beams.....I show'ed this to The Admiral and she said "you gotta be kidding, you're off the chart anal"   :)  

post-17392-0-10779200-1428358413_thumb.jpg

Second version of a fancy chock 

post-17392-0-80827900-1428358436_thumb.jpg

I'm thinking about using square walnut stock so the top and bottom moldings are square as opposed to round, not to mention the color will match :)  

post-17392-0-12570600-1428358464_thumb.jpg

Middle deck stain (bottom side)

post-17392-0-79888500-1428358483_thumb.jpg

Middle deck black paint to simulate tar

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Most excellent Boyd. So if the vote is on, I say head and foot of chock #1 and the belly of chock #2. Also, I've learned in time that being called "anal" is actually a term of endearment.

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

I'll second Matt's call above. The only proviso is that, in looking at your very first support (Chock #1), the bottom part should actually be bigger than the top part.

Soooo ... mebbe you could just turn the whole thing upside down.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Crack out the drugs, poor Boyd has caught the illness! Mate, you've bought the tools, you've started detailing things most people will never see ... you're well on the way to the asylum. All i'll say for now is ... welcome to the asylum. You're doing a great job, please keep posting. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

I'll second Matt's call above. The only proviso is that, in looking at your very first support (Chock #1), the bottom part should actually be bigger than the top part.

Soooo ... mebbe you could just turn the whole thing upside down.

Hi Steve,

I agree, and thanks for the feedback…exactly what I need.  I’ll try and turn a few more in the next day or so and post the results.

Thanks for keeping an eye on my log, I really appreciate it. 

Boyd 

Crack out the drugs, poor Boyd has caught the illness! Mate, you've bought the tools, you've started detailing things most people will never see ... you're well on the way to the asylum. All i'll say for now is ... welcome to the asylum. You're doing a great job, please keep posting. 

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the positive encouragement…. and I really appreciate you keeping an eye on my log.

Yup, I feel myself being pulled toward the dark side….I’m really enjoying the level of detail and precision involved with this hobby.   Your AL Bounty build and a few others inspired me to take the jump with this particular kit.

Question; did you glue between every plank with PVA, and if so, did you make any effort to wipe off excess glue on the inside of the planks or were you just very careful with the amount of glue used (Ok I’m being anal again)?

Boyd 

Boyd 

Thomas, on my Bounty I failed to edge glue the planks. That's why over time, the gaps between the planks appeared. If I were to do it again, I would definitely edge glue the planks and wipe off the excess. As for what's inside, once you build it up and fill her with barrels, stones, etc you won't see the other side of the planking - so don't worry about it. More important to make sure those planks are snug and well glued. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for coming aboard my build log.  

Your Golden Star is coming along nicely and you have a fine eye for detail.  

The AL HMS Bounty is an interesting kit with it's open starboard side and limiting the builder to only one layer of planking....it will be a challenge to be sure :)

Boyd  

Boyd 

Thomas, on my Bounty I failed to edge glue the planks. That's why over time, the gaps between the planks appeared. If I were to do it again, I would definitely edge glue the planks and wipe off the excess. As for what's inside, once you build it up and fill her with barrels, stones, etc you won't see the other side of the planking - so don't worry about it. More important to make sure those planks are snug and well glued. 

I figured as much because I've seen your builds and know you wouldn't let gaps between the planks go on the initial build.  I've read to many posts about builders mentioning planking coming loose after a few years.

I'm going to use Medium Ca (on the frames) and PVA (on the inside edges of the planks) when I get around to the challenging planking job.  

I thought about changing out the walnut planks but decided not to make the investment in this particular build.  However, I did order walnut sheets for spiling as my guess is almost every plank below the Bulwark (particularly on the bow) will need major work to fit.

Me thinks I'll be making a long journey into the dark side....and maybe take the blue pill before I cross over    :)

Boyd 

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

OMG -- I just tuned into your build!  You mentioned my build log early on, so thanks for checking it out....but you are putting me to shame.  As a first timer, with this same AL kit, I was really over my head.  But you seem to have a great knack and eye for this.  There aren't many suggestions I can make; just keep doing what you're doing.  I think I may put aside my build and wait til you catch up so I can ask you questions in real time.  I'm at the point of finishing up all the main deck features, including putting blocks around the mast holes and I'm finding it almost impossible to distinguish (from plans, instructions, parts list and photos) one type and size block from another.  Wait, this isn't my build, its your's, so I'll just say it again -- great start and keep on posting.

Just thought I'd add that I did painstakingly glue the edges of my planking and it is well worth it.  Only problem is that it makes you need to place the plank and snug it up a little quicker lest the small amount of pva on the edges dries.  I always apply pva to both surfaces to be brought together.

OMG -- I just tuned into your build!  You mentioned my build log early on, so thanks for checking it out....but you are putting me to shame.  As a first timer, with this same AL kit, I was really over my head.  But you seem to have a great knack and eye for this.  There aren't many suggestions I can make; just keep doing what you're doing.  I think I may put aside my build and wait til you catch up so I can ask you questions in real time.  I'm at the point of finishing up all the main deck features, including putting blocks around the mast holes and I'm finding it almost impossible to distinguish (from plans, instructions, parts list and photos) one type and size block from another.  Wait, this isn't my build, its your's, so I'll just say it again -- great start and keep on posting.

Just thought I'd add that I did painstakingly glue the edges of my planking and it is well worth it.  Only problem is that it makes you need to place the plank and snug it up a little quicker lest the small amount of pva on the edges dries.  I always apply pva to both surfaces to be brought together.

Hi Al,

Can’t tell you how happy I am to hear from you.

You give me to much credit....I never would have attempted this build if it wasn't for your build log.  Captain Fisher’s log was really valuable as well.  Not to mention all the helpful comments from KeithW, Danny and a few others in your log.

You underestimate your skill as you’ve done a fine job so far…..and your planking job is beautiful….I can only hope mine comes out as well.

Regarding future steps in my build;

Basically, from what I can see the instructions drop off at 94-112 (which are highly summarized to be polite).  They basically tell you to follow the picture book with no narrative.  

Then after you complete 112 you’re on your own with the rigging (no instructions at all – just the one plan sheet and the parts).

I can fully appreciate your concern about rigging at this point.

Have you got a copy of John McKay’s book “The Armed Transport Bounty (aka The Anatomy)”.  This is what I’m using as a reference so far…. and it has very detailed diagrams of all the rigging – far superior to the kit plan sheet.  I plan to use the book in conjunction with the large plan sheet in the kit to try and accomplish the rigging as best I can.

Hopefully some of the experienced builders can help us as we go through the very detailed rigging activity.

Thanks again for coming aboard my build log...please pull up a chair  :) 

Boyd

Boyd 

Guys,

I turned four more chocks and so far I like the one in the last two pictures best as it's more rustic and less refined in shape.

What do you guys think, I would go with walnut with any of the shapes in the first picture? 

The three tan ones look to refined for an 18th century ship to me.  

Also, the one in the ship turned from walnut is a smaller diameter (5mm as opposed to the 6 mm).  

I'm definitely going with Walnut, just need to close on the final design/shape. 

I'll do one more round of test cuts with square Walnut stock to see how square bases and heads look.

I know this seems like a lot of work for one chock but the fact is I'm going to place 8 -10 of them on the lower and middle decks....so I think it will add another nice touch of character to the model.

post-17392-0-04807800-1428616512_thumb.jpg

The two on the left were the first tests, the middle three are new, and the one on the right is something like what the instructions suggest.

post-17392-0-91232800-1428616535_thumb.jpg

Here is the last one I did and like the most (color is good and the shape is more rustic).

post-17392-0-58681400-1428617184_thumb.jpg

Another view.

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Ha Ha, I like the one on the far right -- cause that's all I was able to accomplish.  Wish I had a lathe.  Did you have your power equipment before you started kit building or bought them for the project?  If I ever finish my Bounty I'm going to make the decision to either invest in another kit or put the $$ towards some fancy equipment and try scratch building.  It seems like a lot of the stuff I've had to do to make my kit work was kind of scratch building, so why not scratch from scratch.  Only trouble is, I'm really poor at reading plans.  Anyway, to be serious, I like the last one you did also.  Not too fancy like you said and definitely the right color.

I hear what your saying about the instructions dropping off.  Ridiculous.  Just when you need them the most.  Here's a trick I learned today (better late than never), learn Spanish.  Then you won't have to rely on some bizarre translations into English.  It took me days of wondering and asking others if some blocks (#s 331 and 417s) were single or double cause they appear different in photos and drawings.   In the English parts list they were both just called "blocks."  I finally looked at the Spanish list and there they are called "cuadernales" as opposed to "motones"/   My espanol is good enough to surmise what "cuad" means.  I already made up 10 single blocks on eyebolts before I really questioned what was the right one, so now, hopefully I can use those singles somewhere else.

You and I are in the same time zone.  I live in No. Cal near Sacramento.  What part of So. Cal are you from?

You are very complimentary.  At this point in my build I need all the encouragement I can get cause I've become somewhat frustrated.  I'm at the point where reading diagrams and plans is important and I'm not all that good at it.

I agree with your choice of chocks.  I wish I had a lathe.  Maybe I'll invest in tools instead of kits in the future and do some scratch building.

I do have McKay and its been helpful in some areas, not so much in others. 

Hi Al,

I’ve been building models for years, mostly railroad, airplane and RC fast electric (FE) boats.

Carpentry has been a hobby of mine since I was a kid (my Dad taught me everything I know).  As such, I have quite an extensive work shop in the garage, and also a spare room in the house where I do much of my Bounty assembly. 

I did purchase the mini lathe and a pin sander in preparation for wooden ship building.  I love creating things out of wood so I’m no stranger to fabricating parts.

I suppose I may turn to the “Dark Side” eventually but it sure is nice to pull pre-cut keel and bulkhead parts from a kit and hit the floor running….

Stay with the rigging….as you know this ship building business is all about dividing and conquering (one careful step at a time – often times requiring much research).

I was born and raised in Southern California….I live in the San Gabriel Valley (about 15 minutes east of the Pasadena Rose Bowl - go UCLA Bruins).

Thanks for the support and stay tuned….I’m finishing off some details down below and will start laying the planking on the middle decks over the weekend

:cheers:  Boyd

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Hey Boyd, when I looked at your last chock in your line up my brain goes to home and building details. There is a large amount of columns that retain the square shape at the top and bottom, and the decorative aspects in the middle. Have you tried that? I like your last picture because, as you said, it looks more rustic with smooth, yet subtle shaping without hard lines.

One thing that may help the appearance of strength is iron bands, possibly at top and bottom. Just throwing you a brain teaser.

You are really doing an excellent job. I like how you throw out a bunch of options that you're working on, makes my brains see things that I might not have otherwise.

Matt,

Right on target as usual.

I'm going to turn square walnut stock next to see how square top and bottom supports look.  Great idea about the iron bands.  I think I'll try them on both versions (round and square).

I'm really having fun with my mini lathe (great power tool)....using a combo of turning tools, files and sanding sticks. 

I really appreciate your support and ideas Matt....keep them coming

And some day I'll actually get to planking the middle deck!! 

Boyd 

Alright, finely got my four-jaw chuck in the mail today and immediately headed to the ship yard to turn some 5mm x 5mm square walnut stock.

Well, I think I hit pay dirt with this version of the Pillar Chock....loving the square supports and Matt's suggestion of adding Iron Bands.

Maybe add a few nails on the bands to polish it off......what do you guys think?

Boyd 

post-17392-0-63291600-1428786511_thumb.jpg

post-17392-0-07831700-1428786528_thumb.jpg

Edited by thomaslambo

Boyd 

Now those chocks look strong enough to hold up an elephant, and pretty enough for an entry into a castle. Looks awesome!

Now those chocks look strong enough to hold up an elephant, and pretty enough for an entry into a castle. Looks awesome!

Thanks much for the positive comments and ideas.....keep them coming.

Just finished three hours of middle deck planking....time for a double portion of rum :cheers:   

Boyd