In need of shipyard workers or boats crewmembers

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.... check model railroad suppliers. "O" Scale is 1:48. You may not find exactly what you need, but you may have some luck locating "blanks" you can "surgically" alter to suit your needs.

For anyone else browsing this thread:

"G" Scale:  1:22.5, 1:29 and 1:32

"O" Scale: 1:48

"S" Scale: 1:64

"OO" Scale: (Varies Slightly between USA And Britain) Most common is 1:76

"HO" Scale: 1:87.1

"TT" Scale: 1:120 (Rare, hard to find)

"N" Scale: 1:160

"Z" Scale: 1:220

Scale people are available in all these scales. Some work may be required to make them period appropriate.

Mods: is it possible to make a permanent note of that for people who are looking for figures?

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Moved to the appropriate forum and pinned....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...

Aye sailors,

come up and see this http://www.preiserfiguren.de/showpage.php?Katalogdownload&SiteID=83

There you all find the Figures you need in every scale, painted and unpainted, have a look to the downloads

This company ship´s worldwide.

see ya

Edited by Tarjack

cheers    :cheers:

Robert

And when the workaholic grabs me, I sit quietly in a corner and wait until the attack is over

Into dockyard:   HMY Royal Caroline 1749 made from Bone

74 Gun-ship 1781 (engl.) Admiralty Model M 1:50 by M. Stalkartt

... I always use Preiser-figurines (and in fact scale my models to match the model railway scales). They are the anatomically most correct and most finely sculpted. They also do 'academy', that is naked, sets in various scales that you can dress with putty etc. as required.

wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Does anyone know of a source of US Navy figures 1/48 scale?

Thanks,

Tim

Hi Tim,

Any O-scale will work for 1/48. Peiser is a good site to purchase a good assortmanet as stated above. But Like I said O-scale works for 1/48. Only trouble is the choice you got is civilian life on railroads and the only Naval figures you will usually find is Navy WW ll on up. Nothing early in Naval for 1/48. Believe me I have tried.

I even called several military miniature outlets and they told me right of the bat, good luck finding something like that....

Your best bet is to purchase O-scale and take a dremel and file and create what you want. Then cast them in diecast metal or resin and create your molds for future builds. that way you will always have your little navy in the era you want. Here's a little help on how to work over your little figures................hope this helps

post-1053-0-92663900-1366641808_thumb.jpg

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

• 2 months later...

Looking for a source for either shipyard or nautical (19th to early 20th century) figures.  My model is 1" = 32" scale = figures would ideally be between 2" & 2.25" in height.  Any idea where I can find some?

Many thanks!

PM me the information, I am able to help you, I am very specail on it, pls see my topic "casting cannon", I put a photo on it which is victory's figures, 8-10cm long. 1:75 use.

best wishes

sy

• 3 weeks later...

Love the picture edbardet!! That's interesting and cleaver. Making models about people building ships. You could of started something here

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

• 3 weeks later...

How large would a standard figure (5-6ft tall) be at 1/64 scale?

My calculation is 6ft = 72 inches. 72/64=1.125 inches or 28.5 MM. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Lion Heart,

Check New Line and Redoubt miniatures on Google--- a pretty good selection of figures for at least the Napoleonic era. Sometimes these wargame figures can be a bit course, but more subdued painting can help. I bought a 28mm British longboat/landing party from Redoubt, whom I am now trying to squeeze into a Caldercraft pinnace--- a project which is causing a lot of cursing and staggering here at the Ward. All cross-pond dealings have been excellent with them.

28 mm is a popular scale with the Game Crazies, but you have to dig a little for what you need for 1/64, assuming your ship was not manned by a hellbroth of Orcs. 

john

Keep in mind that there tends to be "scale creep" in at least some ranges of gaming figures (the figure is larger than the advertised scale e.g. a figure advertised at 28mm actually measures 30mm tall), so some 25mm figures might be more correct size-wise than 28's.

Brandon

Current project: HMS Pandora (1779) CAD build

Thanks all,

This helps. I guess the only way to know if there is scale creep is to measure after it arrives. I found a company callers Cornwall model boats. They list some by scale, I.e., 1:64. I will try a couple of theirs. Shipping is really not too bad to the U.S.

I really wanted one or two figures to help get a feel for the size of a 1:64 ship model I am workin on. Hoped it would help put not only the boat, but parts like cannon, blocks, etc into perspective. May be se how close to reality they really are.

Luckily Cornwall has sailors who are not orcs.

I think the last time I dealt with orcs was in an MSDOS text game.

Yes, that was awhile ago.

Again thanks to all

Richard

Richard

Richard,

Good concept! You will notice that most all of the Wood Wizards on this site keep a scale figure constantly at hand while building. Without that perspective, it is all too easy to slip into building a model of a model, instead of a model of a ship. In fact, some of the Brainiacs here may have slid a little too far in identifying with the Little People, but that's another story..... "Frame of Reference" is a critical factor in good model building. It ultimately is what distinguishes good modelers from amateurs. Your 1/64 geeks will keep your head in the right place. BTW, Cornwall is a great store---- we U.S. types need to watch the shipping $$ on some stuff.

john

Richard,

Cornwall is The Best, period. I just ordered a large Caldercraft kit (32 lbs.) and it took just 3 days to arrive on my doorstep here in CT- and it was NOT expedited delivery. Every past transaction with them (approximately a dozen) has been smooth, flawless. And, they have the best prices (and complete inventory) of any of the internet resources.

Now, how is this relevant? Cornwall stocks both 25mm and 35mm Amati cast metal ("Brittania") figures. Both size sets feature a total of six different figure poses. I found that for 1/64 scale that the 35mm figures are a much better choice; yes, they are slightly larger than a 5foot 6inch 18th-c seaman, but they look better displayed in context with the model. Especially the captain figure. I found the 25mm figures a little too small, they look like midgets and dwarves running around, more like Games Workshop Orcs and Hellions... The Amati figures are about $2.50ish ea., but that's o.k. with me. Shipping from the UK is minimal.

So far, my other attempts to find nicely molded 17th/18th C sailors in 25-35mm scale has been dismal. Even plastic ones.

If anyone here has tips otherwise -even plastic or especially finely cast metal figures, please let me know!

Good Luck.  :cheers:

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

These wargaming figurines in general look more like garden gnomes than normal humans, their proportions are not good at all.

Some years the United States Post Office made a rather customer-unfriendly decision and stopped what was called 'surface mail'. Stuff did take 8 to 10 weeks to arrive in Europe, but with a bit of planning it didn't matter and it was a lot cheaper than 'airmail'. It is quite strange, as you can get stuff from China for almost nothing ... not a good move in a globalising economy.

wefalck

wefalck

Here a link to the French maker "Historex" of excellent 54 mm plastic figurines (mostly Empire and late 18th century) - very easy to adapt, lots of accessories and spare parts, and even all the replacement parts you will ever need (heads with different facial expressions, torsos, arms ,legs etc.).

Their Website is mostly in French, with parts in English.

Enjoy

Gregor

Current build: French schooners La Topaze and La Mutine (Jacinthe class 1823)

Complete: Chaloupe armée en guerre 1834

Complete: HM Cutter Sherbourne 

Gregor,

Nice figures, but I am looking for 1:64 scale (about 25-30mm). please let me know if i missed them. I do not speak French.

Thanks for the tip. They are beautiful figures.

Ron,

Is the 25mm do not look correct, I will order the larger ones. I'll get back to this thread when they arrive.

Thanks to all

Richard

Richard

Historex only works in the 1/32 or 54 mm scale.

The problem is that 30 mm is the classical flat figure scale and rarely any fully round figures were produced. For a short period there were one or two UK manufacturers (one of them had been later sold to Sweden, I believe). They had an outlet in Shepherd St., Central London, but have long gone.

wefalck

wefalck

Sorry, Richard: Historex figures really only come in 54 mm, you didn't miss anything there. For 1/64 I'm working with a 28 mm Amati officer. 1.8 m might be a little too tall for the 18th century, but he's wearing a hat, and having passed for gentleman he's obviously better fed than most of his contemporaries.

;)

Gregor

Current build: French schooners La Topaze and La Mutine (Jacinthe class 1823)

Complete: Chaloupe armée en guerre 1834

Complete: HM Cutter Sherbourne 

You may want to go through this Web-site: http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/. It concerns figures that are nominally 1/72, but in reality there is quite a variability of the 'average' height chosen by the various manufacturers. You may find an 'oversize' set that is more towards 1/64.

Otherwise, dive into virtual 3D-computer modelling and have the results printed in real 3D. I believe that 'anatomical' virtual 3D people are available as a starting point. Could be an interesting small business idea ...

wefalck

wefalck

• 1 month later...

Hi.

I dont know if you can use the figures below.

They are from the game Warhammer and are the Empire troops.

Thease are gun crew that come with the guns.

They come as parts and you assemble and paint to your army colours.

Mixed figures.

post-2328-0-77830600-1380537319_thumb.jpg

Another angle.

post-2328-0-46566300-1380537325_thumb.jpg

Close up of crew

post-2328-0-99515300-1380537330_thumb.jpg

Another closeup of the gun crew.

post-2328-0-21758300-1380537336_thumb.jpg

They are 35mm in height and can be curved with a knife.

Also the gun loading bits come with the kit as well :)

I will be using some in my 1.36 scale cross section.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

• 2 months later...

Here's a little help on how to work over your little figures................hope this helps

Wonderful explanation the drawing attached, thank you! This is exactly  how I worked on my 1:100 Preiser figures. Works the same for all other scales.

First vivisection ...

Victory_Frankenstein_1501.jpg

... and then reassembled, on the right, the poor lad before being transformed ...

800_Victory_guncrew_0842.jpg

... and left in his new life as gun captain, holding a leather bag against the vent  to air seal it, for that no smoldering ashes is pushed upwards, while the barrel is sponged.

800_Victory_guncrew_0848.jpg

Two of the Misters got funny tails made of paper stiffened with CA - one already can guess, the marines ...

800_Victory_guncrew_1002.jpg

... a bit of paint applied ...

800_Victory_guncrew_0991.jpg

.... and the crew is complete :-)
The lieutenant, the gun captain, loader 2 with the bullet, sponger 2 with the wad pads, powdermonkee, the marine (at ease, the crossbelts off and the button opened). Sponger and loader are already at their place, waiting for the rest of the gang, the second gun captain and the 7 auxiliaries to pull the strings ...

800_Victory_guncrew_0977.jpg

800_Victory_guncrew_1100.jpg

Don´t ask what the ship can do for the men, ask what do the men have to do for the ship!

Do not look at the figure and ask what could it possibly do ...

The trick is to have a look at the task and then teach each single man how to be acting accordingly. 

Here is the crew in place, 13 men 

800_Victory_guncrew_1111.jpg

800_Victory_guncrew_1564.jpg

800_Victory_guncrew_1110.jpg

... or a bit more inside the melée: drama baby - drama :-)

800_Victory_guncrew_1579.jpg

800_Victory_guncrew_1574.jpg

800_Victory_guncrew_1566.jpg

Cheers, Daniel
Edited by dafi

• 3 months later...

What size would be at 1:90 scale?

6 feet tall = .8 inch or 20.32 mm

5'8" tall= .755 inch or 19.17 mm.

The good part about 1/90 scale is that it is easy to use 1/87 HO scale figures.  As others have said, Preiser is among the best. Get the unpainted sets. "in the country" has some nice poses and easily adaptable clothing, some of the military sets have separate heads and hands ("resting infantry" is one of my favorites for conversions) that can be mixed and matched for a variety of figures.

• 4 months later...

Verlinden is another source for figures and accessories - I used them for WWII battle dioramas but they can be bashed into anything. Here's their link https://www.verlindenonline.com/

Jack