In need of shipyard workers or boats crewmembers

21 hours ago, SELtd. said:

I am drawing on the collective knowledge here...I am looking for a figure of a ships captain, possible a fisherman, in foul weather gear at the wheel. I can work with a scale anywhere from 1/87 to 1/48th. I am more of a model railroader and want to use this figure as a memorial statue in the "quaint, touristy fishing village" I have planed for the sea side expansion of the layout. Any leads would be greatly apperciated!  TIA!

You mean like this one?

https://www.dailybreeze.com/2017/12/08/out-with-the-old-ports-o-call-transition-sparks-angst-and-confusion-on-eve-of-demolition/

• 8 months later...

for Napoleonic figures, try a firm called Historex…  parts are capable of mixing up and its quite easy to knock up a ships captain with not a lot of work...

WW2 you can get Italeri crew for German, USA and British navy. Masterbox and others do mechanics etc that would convert nicely if you wanted to do a port scene...

I managed to get some figures for my Victory x-section cannon crew in 1/96 from a wargames figure supplier, close enough in 15mm. I just wish the manufacturers would stick to a set scale, as otherwise its not a viable  commercial venture to produce figures for many periods in so many different scales!

Manufacturers do stick to set scales, but different areas of modelling (for historic reasons) prefer different scales.

1/120 is the gauge TT railway scale and approximately that of the 15 mm wargaming scale

1/96 is half of 1/48 and close to the gauge HO railway scale (1/87); close to the coomon ship model scale of 1/100 in continental Europe

1/72 is a common scale for model soldiers in (soft) plastic, model aircraft, and close to the OO railway scale (1/76)

1/60 is the scale of the 30 mm flat model soldiers and also used for some ship models

1/48 is the classical gauge O railway scale, commonly used for military and aircraft models; ship model in continental Europe are 1/50 scale

1/32 is the classical model railway gauge 1 (or 7 mm) and model soldier scale and also used for military and aircraft models

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 3/6/2013 at 5:07 PM, probablynot said:

Yeah, I'm looking too.  In my case it's 1:35, so 2 inches would be just nice.

I need 1:54 scale.

K. Arnold noobie with a LOT to learn

AL "Scottish Maid" renamed "Lady Gina"complete

AL "Virginia"  renamed "Gina Marie"complete

Al Virginia (second build) complete

Corel "Scotland" in progress
OcCre "Corsair" in progress

Does not exist.

The closest is 1:60, but commercially there are only the classical flat tin-soldiers as far as I am aware. I know this, as I built a couple of models in that scale and was never able to crew them - my sculpting capabilities are not that good.

Until some 25 years ago there was a Swedish company Rose Miniatures that also made 30 mm 3D-figures.

Some of the 'war-gaming' figures might work, but they are nominally 25 mm. I think the figures of Perry Miniatures (https://www.perry-miniatures.com) are nominally 28 mm, which translates to 5" in a 1:54 scale - still a bit on the small side. 

One has to scan their range to see, whether any figures for conversion into marine civilians would be available. Personally, I am not very fond of the war-gaming figures, as for some reason they are always chubby, almost cartoon-like representations with too big hands and feet.

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

You might do a search on some of the 3-D printing sites that offer figures.   If I'm recalling correctly, they can be scaled but probably cost extra.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

5 minutes ago, wefalck said:

The 3D-printing files have to be set-up for each scale separately, so these sites only offer printing at set scales.

In principle, something along these lines is useful: https://www.heroforge.com.

I wasn't aware of that and made an assumption (bad thing).   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I routinely print models 'offscale' For minor tweaks in scale, the printability isn't significantly affected, and can just be tweaked to give the appropriate dimension.

When upscaling, the detail becomes rather 'soft' and can look oversized if taken too far, but generally there is no limit to the amount of upscaling you can perform if the degree of softness is acceptable.

When downscaling fine details can become unprintable 'as is', however if dimensions are mutable, the slicer can add a 'hair' of horizontal expansion to retain printable minor walls, and I routinely print models with an intended scale of 1:72 or 1:100 down to 1:330 with few problems, as well as 1:700 to 1:1000 and 1:2973.

It is likely that a model generated explicitly for the target scale might print with a better result - but there is a broad range of printable scales for any single model where it will print, with broadly acceptable results.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...