Gripen 1591 by Matti/NAZGÛL

Hi everyone!

I have an interest in King Karl IX, Gustav II Adolfs father. Before reaching the crown he was a duke and was successful in developing his duches and he created his own fleet. And when he later went to war with Sigismund his fleet became an important part. When he later became king his fleet became part of the swedish fleet. As many men of power at that time in history, Karls seems to have been quite cruel but he did manage to reach remarkable goals in his life and laid the base of what Gustav II Adolf managed to achieve later on. For a while I'v been wanting to make a model of one of Karls ships. When going through the ship lists available I decided to go for the small ship called Gripen (griffin). Gripen was Karls symbol and is to be seen on Vasa stern as well when two griffins puts the crown on Gustav II Adolfs head. Making a model of Gripen will mean a lot of guesses on my behalf as very little is known. 

I like to build by eye and even if I made some basic plans and drawings, I will try to relax and do what feels right as I move the build along.

The design is inspired by the beautyful replica of Duyfken and by paintings by Vroom and other dutch artists. I would like to thank all who helped me with advices and opinions in this thread: 

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/9996-ships-of-the-late-16th-century/

In that thread you can also follow the steps I did when designing the model.

When I finished the Vasa build I had a pile of spareparts left. When looking at the parts I felt I'd like to try and reshape them into something else. I feel this gives me lots of freedom when building it as I can do whatever I feel like and that helps creativity. Worst thing that can happen is that I mess upp and then I can just through it in the bin. 

Step 1 was to design the model. As said that step is covered in the thread mentioned above.

post-3739-0-81004400-1428858743_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-24493500-1428858582_thumb.jpg

Step 2 was to decide what size it would be in. I printed the drawings in different sizes and then decided. The scale is close to 1:70.

Step 3 was to make a more detailed plan just to get the basic set up of the frames and how to reshape them to the lines of my drawings.

post-3739-0-78208100-1428858228_thumb.jpg

Step 4  Was to do the actual reshaping. First before assembly, then reshaping again. The supporting parts are ugly but I liked the idea to just use the left over parts after sawing the frames. Ugly but easy to do and they will be covered later on. I needed the supporting bits to be stronger compaired to say how BB designed theis Vasa kit, as I had to reshape them in place.

post-3739-0-18454300-1428858292_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-27914700-1428858379_thumb.jpg

Next step will be to make the stern, bow and decks.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL
post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

This should be a fascinating build, Matti.  I'm pulling up a chair to watch.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Aah, another Swedish ship. I won't pull up a chair, but the couch and pop corn

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Brilliant matti, will definitely follow with keen interest.

Anton T

Current build

1/78 Sovereign of the Seas - Sergal - kit bashed

1/72 Arleigh Burke class DDG flight iia/iii - Sratch built RC - no log

Waiting for further inspiration

STS Leeuwin II 1/56 scratch built (90% completed)

Previous builds - completed

1/72 HMAS Brisbane, Airwarfare Destroyer 2014 -Scratch built RC - completed

1/64 HMS Diana 1796 - caldercraft kit - completed

1/75 Friesland 1668- mamoli kit - completed

1/96 HMAS Newcastle FFG 2011- scratch built RC - completed

1/75 Vasa - Billing Boats - completed

I like your choice of ship and your design of the ship itself. Were your fore-fathers shipwrights by any chance?

Will be following your built as it is part of my heritage, (Dutch).

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

HI Matti... Nice to see you building again..... will be following along on this interesting build.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Matti,

Good choice, nice design. As I can see, you used similar hull design as Vasa has.  I love galleons, I´m sure it will be the perfect build - I will watch it with great interest. BTW, what is the scale of this model? The frame looks quite big.

Jan

Edited by firdajan

Finished:       Ark Royal 1588

Mary Rose 1545

Arabian Dhow

Revenge 1577 ( first attempt )

La Couronne 1636

Trinidad 1519

Revenge 1577 ( the second one )

Nina 1492

Pinta 1492

Santa Maria 1492

San Salvador 1543

Anna Maria 1694

Sao Gabriel 1497

On the table: Sovereign of the Seas 1636 - continuing after 12 years

All of them are paper models

Hey all! I've been trying to work out the lines. To be able to continue with the other decks, I needed to plank the first one. As I'm building it by eye, I need to see the other decks in place before preparing for a mast and gratings. A bit backward.

Also started on the stern shape. 

post-3739-0-59155500-1429562805_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-29446100-1429562808_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-56935900-1429562811_thumb.jpg

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL
post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Matti;

Looking very good. Especially because you do this from your own drawings.

Different question. Were the Duyfken and the Eendracht the same type of ship?

Thanks

Marc

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Hi Marcus,

Problem is, the 'ship-types' weren't that closely defined.

Many of the "larger" ships of that period were classified as 'Jacht': the ships of Barentz were, as well as Duyfken.

These ships were  around 1600, a relatively small, presumably fast sailers.

Half Moon also classifies in this group. I checked, and Eendracht (1615) is also referred to as a Jacht.

Around 1610, also the name Pinas(se) was used for these ships. Thse PInas evolves into the larger 'spiegelretourschepen' of the VOC, as well as into the more purpose build Men of War of the Admiralities.

With respect ot size: these ships were measued and classifed based on 'lasts' (a measure referring to both space (i.e. cubic something) as well as weight). There seems to be no clear one-to-one relation from 'last' to 'length'. The ships of Barenz were around 30 last, and did presumably measure aroudn 70 ft. (according to Hoving). The Eendracht was reported as 250 last, but the measuring system for men of war did not follow the same rules as for general purpose ships: there is no way you can recompute the size of Duyfken to that of Eendracht, using the size of both ships as measured in lasts.According to Wiki (...) the ship measured 103 feet, and had 30 guns.

My amateurish guess would be that Eendracht would look far more like a ship like Batavia than Duyfken (no way you get 30 guns on a single-decked ship as Duyfken. (compare the pinas of Tasman as drawn by Hoving) 

Jan

Edited by amateur

My amateurish guess would be that Eendracht would look far more like a ship like Batavia than Duyfken (no way you get 30 guns on a single-decked ship as Duyfken. (compare the pinas of Tasman as drawn by Hoving) 

Jan

Jan,

Thank you very much for this information. I am immersing myself with the ships from that era. (I Google'd it and couldn't find anything. MSW is better than Google when it comes to ships.

Marc

Google Translate seems to work fairly well on these two links also.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...