La Créole 1827 by archjofo - Scale 1/48 - French corvette

I daresay that this build is the "gold" standard to strive for.  I'm pretty much speechless.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I tend not to look as closely at time periods outside of my specific interest (17th C.), but that is obviously a mistake on my part!  WOW!! Johann, your ship chandlery skills are second to none, as is the fashioning of all the rest of the ship.  What a beautiful model!  I'm late to the party, but I will catch up and follow along until the end.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

You are a phenomenal modeller, Johann, your work and realism of model performance are admirable.

Thank you very much for this beautiful inspiration and plenty of useful information about ship equipment.

Best regards,
Doris

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

Hello,

it's always a great pleasure for me to receive such a positive response, for actually a tiny detail.
For the nice comments I would like to say thank you very much, also for the LIKES.

Here it continues with another piece of equipment:

Bouée d'ancre (Anchor buoy)
For the execution of the anchor buoys for my French Corvette, I originally assumed that these were customary around 1800, also made of cork discs (2.5 - 3 cm thick). Therefore, my assumption that the drawing to anchor buoy of J. Boudriot from the monograph to La Créole is rather schematic to understand, as well as the buoy on the Parisian model.

5b4195fa9f9d6_bouee_dancre_La_Creole.JPG.237ba72961b23e26563c6d95e5d44126.JPG   
Source: Monograph La Créole

5b41960aa4544_bouee_dancre_La_Creole_sw.JPG.6d4229a2d8a825350edc20852dd9d096.JPG

Source: Monograph Original Model

However, the buoys made of cork disks have uniform structures, contrary to the presentation of J. Boudriot; These remind me more of bands or rings. Thus I tried to get even more information for the production of the buoys.

5b41961926157_Ankerboje271cmKorkscheiben.JPG.b6802215b348776842ae90149d08ff3c.JPG 
Source: Seventy-Four-Gun-Ship Vol. 2, J. Boudriot

M5026-2003-DE-559-4.thumb.jpg.47258031b330a3fe4a9adbec9de748d1.jpg

Source: Royal Museums Greenwich

In Franz Ulffer's handbook of seamanship, a buoy with banding is shown. In addition, subdivisions can be seen in the longitudinal direction.

bouee_liege_ufflers.JPG.20e8a7ef4d1a4f4a1a7933c937367e1d.JPG

Source: Franz Ulffers, Handbook of Seamanship 1872

Consequently, I tried again to study the relevant passages in the monograph in more detail.

Accordingly, Boudriot describes the buoys in such a way that they consist of four light wood parts, which are held together with a banding. From what these bands should have passed, I could not find out so far. However, it is obvious that they may have been very thin iron bands.
In order to get clarity to the implementation of the buoys in the model scale 1:48, I must probably get some information.
Maybe someone of you can contribute to this?

Sequel follows …

Thank you for your comments and LIKES,

dear friends!

When making the hoops for the buoys, I used a small goldsmith anvil.

DSC05974.thumb.jpg.94a5a233a2d665fdd05987873471a8fb.jpg

DSC05975.thumb.jpg.cc9885fbf57b2dd4399962c782f3b8dd.jpg

DSC05980.thumb.jpg.9a164143543bdedcff79edba34f596ff.jpg
The ropes of the slings were served.
To serve the ropes I use a little wonder tool from our member Robert @Tarjack.
In addition, more information: LINK

DSC05983.thumb.jpg.5e1416d1845a493466d563578c899cb1.jpg

Johann, I am always in awe of your craftsmanship! I guess these metal hoops are (silver) soldered together from thin brass strips? How do you fix them in position during the soldering to achieve the desired ring diameter? 

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Hello Thomas,
recognized correctly, these are thin brass strips.

This I cut with the table saw of a brass sheet is 0.25 mm thick.
After the provisional adjustment of the ring diameter (slightly smaller than necessary), the two ends are brazed with silver solder.
For this I form the ring so that the obliquely filed ends touch on pressure.
I hope I have explained it somewhat understandable with my poor English and using the Google translation.
For safety, the following drawing:

IMG_1578.jpg.50df7759f8a4cc8f79dc7e0d59b03e77.jpg

Edited by archjofo

All your detailed work is just beautiful. You are a great artist. WOW. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Thank you, Johann, for explaining the making of your rings. It is very nicely explained, sounds pretty easy, and I know it is not. It takes some pretty advanced craftsmanship to get this sort of thing done with the kind of results which you always show.

Thomas 

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Hello,

thanks for the nice comments, and also for
the LIKES.

An anchor buoy has been completed in the meantime.
I put the buoy rope around the arm of the anchor and tied it to the anchor shaft twice.
The size of the buoy rope is one-third of the cable. The length varies, for it is shortened or lengthened according to the depth of the water in which you will drop the anchor.

Usually the buoy rope  was at least 18 threads long.  

DSC06000.thumb.jpg.e35d09f0cb974f807ba5e50d911cfa19.jpg

Hi Johann,

Super work as always...

Let me know the meaning of the "thread" in your phrase;

"Usually the buoy rope was at least 18 threads long."

(18 coils?)

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)