Hello all. Further to my last post to Jerry I wonder if someone could help me with this bow rail thingy.  (my name, not the proper one)  it is the bit that goes in an arc on the top of the vertical bit up to where the sides meet at the front. It should be 5 mm across by 1 mm deep.   My question is, is this generally done by bending one piece? if so how on earth, I've tried all ways.  If it is done in smaller pieces, how are they arranged on real ships so I dont make it look daft.  I've searched the net for clues but to no avail.  Thanks.  Rob.

post-5699-0-90503200-1429385091_thumb.jpg

Hi Rob,

is this generally done by bending one piece? if so how on earth, I've tried all ways.  If it is done in smaller pieces, how are they arranged on real ships so I dont make it look daft.

It's made in at least two sections per side. Check out THIS LINK to my build log of HMS Vulture for the idea.

You will need some wide stock to cut it from, probably not supplied in the kit.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Rob, you're welcome. The link I sent you went to the wrong post. Scroll up the page to the previous one and you'll get some better pics. I've changed the link in my last post to point to the right one.

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

I would have have just butted them without that 'lock' cut out piece

Rob, that's known as a Scarph (or Scarf) Joint. They are used in many places on a ship instead of butt joins (not in hull planking though).

Cheers, Danny

• 3 weeks later...

Just to let anybody who may be interested, know, I'm now on my fifth planking attempt and I think I may have got it this time! I found it impossible to get the planks perfectly butted no matter what I did, even burnishing the wood didn't look perfect as there are so many joints which can be seen at once. The slightest fault jumps straight out, no matter how small. This time I chamfered the edges of each plank before fitting. This gives a caulked effect (or that's what I'm telling myself) and the bigger gaps disguise any imperfections. So far.