Pelikaan Dutch Beamtrawler 1999 by kees de mol - FINISHED - scale 1/75

Kees,

Marcus should be able to read Dutch, something in his genes ;) Thanks for mentioning the book. I'll have a look around too, interesting

Cheers

That would be great. I like the book very mutch because there are a lot of details about the ships. I believe the builders didn't work with plans, just by memory and a craftmens eye. In the book are some withnesreports from a man who observed the building of "bomschuiten" for a while.

Some time ago a group started crowdfunding to build a replica of a "Bomschuit" because they had found the original keel and some other parts under a dyke. I believe it is the KW76. Ithe replica is being build in Spakenburg.

The keel and parts were displayed last summer in front of the Andreas church in Katwijk. This beautiful church is found on many photo's with Bomschuiten on the beach of Katwijk. The church was used for many years as a wearhouse and saltstorage for the fishingcompanies in Katwijk. (the salt still causes a lot of problems and is very expensive to remove) We (protestant church) raise money all year trough to pay for the restauration ans cleaning of the salt.

This one, for instance

You see the typical design of the bomschuit: it is like a box...

They were designed to get ashore at high tide, so that they could be unloaded and serviced at low tide.

This because many of the fishing villages at the northsea did not have a harbour (completely impossible to dug a harbour in the flat sandy beaches.

Jan

post-176-0-34635200-1481102182_thumb.jpg

Hello Marcus. I bought that model in a secondhand shop for the price of a couple of beers. It's called a Bomschuit and it is scratchbuild (not by me ;) ) but it's not very acurate, more a decorational model. I think the scale is around 1/20. If you are interested there is a very good book about these ships written by E.W. Petrejus, 1954. I have a copy but it is in Dutch. Maybe there is an english translation somewhere.

Kind regards, Kees

Kees,

Thanks. It is the mast in the back that got me confused. I do have several books in pdf form on flat and round boats.

I know the name Petrejus and I think I can find something from him on Google.

Another book I have 'Vlaamse Visserij en Vissersvaartuigen' book 2, by Gaston Desnerck, 1976, bought it a long time ago in Amsterdam at the book store 'de Slechte'. I paid 30 guilders for it and looked it up recently and it is now 330.00 Euros. I am missing Book 1., but I am not going to pay 330.00 Euros for that one.

While I am on the subject there is a freebee floating around from before 1895-1905 called Ship Building from its beginnings by Emile van Konijnenburg, It is in 3 parts and in English. Nice plans, good descriptions and many boats and last but not least several German books on these types of boats. The Germans have written much on this subject.

For the none Dutch people here; The Dutch had numerous types of flat and round bottom boats. Every town that has a wharf has a many types of these boats. For pleasure, for freight, passengers, etc.

Several years ago I started writing an article on this for the Nautical Journal. It got huge as I was describing every boat possible with no end in sight. So I put it away. I can split it up in sections.

Sorry for hijacking the thread......................... back to you.... Kees.

Marcus

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

The vessel on the right does the foremast fold back?

Yes thats because the boats were pulled high on the beach in fall and winter. The boat with all the gear, sails and flags on it is very strange. I think it was on display or something maybe for some important people to show. Normaly they were like the boats with the mast fold back.

• 1 month later...

Had some work done on the Pelikaan. All the details under and next to the spraydeck, the fish collecting bin, the railing on the spraydeck and added the fishingline guids on the deck.

Now I want to finish the inside of the bullwark and then i will add the front piece of the ship to the hull. I have to find a solution for the electric wiring.

Kind regards. Kees

31454813283_c4bff98bb1_c.jpgUntitled by Model Fishingships, on Flickr

32115709522_e7e3233558_c.jpgUntitled by Model Fishingships, on Flickr

32227941431_09c0a77c94_c.jpg by Model Fishingships, on Flickr

31971131930_30ed6e30b1_c.jpgUntitled by Model Fishingships, on Flickr

32197802912_a3453d62dc_c.jpgUntitled by Model Fishingships, on Flickr

31537034003_bc0e4d9ac0_c.jpgUntitled by Model Fishingships, on Flickr

Also bought me some new tools for the heavier jobs. A hangmotor

32162150465_dab8c6bb49_c.jpgUntitled by Model Fishingships, on Flickr

31352079203_97b70a4191_c.jpgUntitled by Model Fishingships, on Flickr

awesome progress Kees  :)   glad to see your back  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello Kees,

I just recently found your build log and have read it from the beginning.  Your model is turning out wonderfully and the level of your craftsmanship in styrene is so impressive - some of the best I have seen.  Thanks for sharing your techniques and videos - I have learned a great deal.  It is logs such as yours that inspire me to do better with my own modeling.  I hope your health is improving - keep well.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Hello Gary,

Nice to see that you found my log and I wish you a lot of fun reading my log in the future. I am glad that I can give you inspiration and that i have the chance to contribute to this great shipmodelling forum.

Regards, Kees

Kees,

The details on this boat of yours are amazing. You're thinking of everything that belongs on this boat.

Excellent job.

Marcus

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Working on the Pelikaan.

I started on the bullwarks and realized they are the last structural things I have to build. All the other parts have been build and now is the time to put together everything.

32355285002_8669fdc49c_c.jpgUntitled by Model Fishingships, on Flickr

Yesterday I glued the spraydeck on the hull (and with this the maindeck and the structure under the spraydeck which were attached to the spraydeck)

31663886674_31e324c30c_c.jpgUntitled by Model Fishingships, on Flickr

After that I finished the bullwarks and the next thing is to finish (sanding etc) the hull so I can paint them.

31697948004_2e60ff90e4_c.jpgUntitled by Model Fishingships, on Flickr

I also made the metal stands. They are attached to the hull and will be fastened to a wooden plank. It's just the structural part the finishing will follow. The pipes are hollow so I can lead electric wire through them later.

31663886864_20a4aacde4_c.jpgUntitled by Model Fishingships, on Flickr

32355283332_8e37b2ca70_c.jpgUntitled by Model Fishingships, on Flickr

Cheers

Kees

look'in good Kees ..... can't wait to see more  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 2 weeks later...

No words... just a little vid...

32697560331_ae70502c7e_c.jpgUntitled by Model Fishingships, on Flickr

This took a lot..... a lot of hours to make. And that times three......

I IIKE IGHTS.........

:cheers:

Hi Kees

I recall that you were building a model of a trawler, but why did you post a photo of the full-sized superstructure in the photo? Are you trying to trick us into thinking that that's what you built? Ahem...of course you built it and of course that would've taken a heck of a lot of work and no doubt, only you and a few select other modellers would've been able to do it so well.

Damn fine job, Kees. It looks so realistic.

Amazing.

Cheers

Patrick

video or not.........it's an awesome looking structure!    very well done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Have a flickr account but the video is only private

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Lovely work on the lights, Kees.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)