Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

I received  this kit as a gift. Very excited about it. Here are pics of the box & contents. Pre-reading over the first part of the instructions. Everything I've done before has been more simplified so I know this one will take me longer but I am ready to dive in!

post-6826-0-63553300-1430445181_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-82824100-1430445210_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-48361500-1430445235_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-89203600-1430445276_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-10791100-1430445305_thumb.jpg

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

I'll be following along JesseLee.  She was my first and I really enjoyed the challenge.  Chuck's practicum is first rate.

Have a great voyage.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

count me in!  .........sounds like a wicked good time!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Jesse, looks like a great build. Some day I'll build her. Until then, I'll pull up a chair and follow along. Where's that popcorn?

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Welcome sygreen, Augie, Thomas, Sal, Grant, popeye the sailor, Pythagoras & Ken! Glad to have you along. I'll probably need some advice as I go along so it's good to have others around to ask for help. Will try to start posting first steps after I return from a Drs. appt. this morning. I'm looking forward to this build. I know anything coming from Chuck is high quality, I love his rigging rope so I know plans designed by him has got to be good!

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Whoops ...

I nearly missed the beginning. The stands are filling up fast ...

I'll just take a seat up here in the nose-bleed section.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Welcome aboard Steve!

As bad as I want to get to work in the shipyard, I had to get an epidural & they told me to lay down for 6-7 hours so I'll have to wait....... :huh:

Almost to late for the party.......

Count me in for a while....

But I'll be missing something.........POPCORN.

If you don't mind ,Jesse, I will put it in the corner.

Only the beverage is Mark Taylor his thing.

Sjors

'Bout time you showed up with the popcorn Sjors!!! ;):P

Sorry to hear that the medical situation is slowing you down Jesse. But as Augie said, we'll all be here ready and waiting for you when you're ready to go again. And now we have Sjors's popcorn to keep us going while we wait. ;)

We're ready when you are... hmm.. quite a crowd.   I'll bring a chair and kick back...post-76-0-23601800-1430523501.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hey all y'all, don't forget me  ;)  I'll use one of the beverage crates Mark is bringing to sit on - the empty ones that is.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Nice to see you've arrived Mark - I was wondering who was going to cover the bar duties. ;) Pass me a cold one please, to go with Sjors's popcorn.

Sjors, Mark, Piet, George- glad to have along! popcorn sounds good to me too! Popped the old way right? Not this new fangled microwave crap?

Well after every imaginable delay possible ( & a few unimaginable) I finally got started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somehow I missed getting pictures of my beginning steps of gluing the rabbet strip on the bulkhead former & cutting the bearding line but I did get these steps done. I like the way the instructions have you make a rabbet. My other kits didn't have this.

Tapered the stem knee & glued it & the keel to the bulkhead former. Taped the temporary false keel on now ready to move on to the bulkheads.

post-6826-0-18222200-1430614830_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-85526500-1430614895_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-73649800-1430615110_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-20774700-1430615134_thumb.jpg

Cut the bulkheads out to start the dry fitting & tapering the angles on the sides. Barely got started & I can tell I'm losing my touch. This stupid disease makes anything manual difficult for me & I already broke my first bulkhead. Drilled a hole through each piece & glued a toothpick through it with wood glue.

post-6826-0-34881800-1430615872_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-23573400-1430615893_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-30329400-1430615917_thumb.jpg

Edited by JesseLee

As enthusiastic as we all might seem Jesse, nobody's in a hurry here. Whatever speed you feel good with, will be great until you're feeling better. Take your time and have fun! :) 

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Jesse,

You're off to a good start.  Those frame pieces are delicate and I don't think you'll find a modeler anywhere who hasn't broken some off.   Now if they made the bulkheads from cast iron... they might not break.  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Good catch.  And rest assured (as Mark said) that in the many Syren logs I've followed, there have been quite a few bulk heads cracked.

That rabbet method is really a good technique.  Chuck used it in Confed as well.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Looking very good so far! And don't worry about breaking parts . . . probably everybody does that sooner or later. If I would count all the discarded parts during my Syren build they may add up to a second hull :D. So just have fun and enjoy the build.

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Began dry fitting & beveling/fairing the bulkheads. They were very tight & I had to do a lot of sanding to get them to fit. Had to be careful not to sand too much since these things were VERY tight. Of coarse another break as usual!

post-6826-0-91667300-1430750487_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-03033200-1430750512_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-66203500-1430750591_thumb.jpg

Started cutting out some filler blocks....

post-6826-0-49241800-1430750739_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-39088300-1430750769_thumb.jpg

Well, getting very frustrated with the computer. I wont put the pics in the correct order for some reason but you can figure it out.

Same bulwark broke again so I pinned it with a toothpick. Got the filler blocks all cut out & dry fitted.

post-6826-0-70619100-1430751790_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-15780700-1430751812_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-46716000-1430751838_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-65723500-1430751855_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-97066600-1430751878_thumb.jpg

It's those end-grain joints. They never hold without some kind of re-enforcement. I use dowel or biscuits on a larger scale. Pretty tough with a tiny scale. Good idea with the tooth-pick.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

There's a scripture in the Bible that says "The first shall be last and the last shall be first". This is how you approach loading the pictures. Think of stacking the photos on a desk. The one on the top will be the last one added to the stack. Your doing great. It's more fun from here on as the stack of wood begins to become a ship.

Edited by Larry Van Es

Current build: US Brig Syren (MS)

Larry Van Es

Former President

Ship Modelers Association

Fullerton California

http://www.shipmodelersassociation.org

trip 134