Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

Catching up a bit:

I really like your copper plate stamp.  Just the few pictures you've put up make the method really clear, thanks.

In future, to make a piece, like your cap rail, with a flat bend, you can make a laminated assembly with several square lengths bent around the curve.  Use a series of pins or nails set to the curve, or cut a block of wood to the curve and use that to determine the curve as you glue additional lengths of the square stock.  A piece of plastic wrap underneath will help it release.  If it's all the same type of wood, the grain shouldn't be too noticeable.

Just another option, Admiralty make a copper paint that has micro flecks of copper in it and it is supposed to darken over time.  I really liked the colour, as its a different, but not a complete contrast to the copper plates.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

That looks really, really, REAAAAALLY very nice JesseLee!  You could try washing the copper with diluted dishwashing soap and rinse with clean water.  Use a sponge - - a little stray water on the wood won't hurt a bit, as long as you allow it to air dry.  

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Jesse

Yep...really nice job on the copper plates. I'm in the 'patina' camp, because I've always thought it looks more weathered and, hence realistic; but that's just me.

Whichever way you choose would look just as good.

Nice job!

Cheers

Patrick

Happy Birthday!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

May I be addin' me Birthday Wishes as well, Jesse !!

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Almost missed it.. Happy Birthday Jesse.  May there be many many more.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks everyone for the kind comments, likes & all the birthday wishes!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

A belated happy birthday JesseLee.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Jesse just catching up.  Your plating came out great, nice job.  I decided not to do anything with my plates and just let them age over time.  For the edges and corners you might want to try a wallpaper seam roller.  I used one and it keeps the plates down nicely.  Try it on a scrap piece and see if it might help, don't press too hard.  Oh, and happy BD.

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

Well done on the coppering Jesse. And a happy belated birthday.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thanks everybody!

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Getting frustrated. Need to pin the pintles. Been messing with it for several days. Don't have a soldering torch. Have a cheap iron but that wont work. CA isn't holding. Cant figure out how I'm going to get the pins to permanently hold. :huh:

I'm inclined to agree with Joel, if soldering isn't an option, then epoxy is probably a good choice.

Hi Jessie,

Before I bought my torch I used Solder-it, a low temperature soldering paste.  It is available from Amazon, among other places.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058ED0GO?keywords=solder%20it&qid=1446389742&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

• Ideal for speeding up soldering tasks
  • Works with the heat of a match or lighter
  • Will join 22 different combinations of metals
  • Easy-to-use, no mess, no-waste syringe
  • 7.1 grams

No, its not as good as silver soldering, but that requires a pretty good investment and can be difficult to master. It seems to hold up well, especially in areas that do not experience much pressure or pull.  Mine, so far, have held up just fine.  

Richard

You might want to try it.

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Thanks for the input. I might try the epoxy. Will it hold something with such a small surface area to be bonded? (22 ga. brass wire).

Richard, I'll have to check the Solder-It out. I had something like it called Miracle Weld, a paste that was just like that. It didn't work but that was 15-20 years ago. If you have had good results with the Solder-It I will look into it!

Welcome Greg! Thanks for the encouragement. Input is always welcome!

Jesse

There should be enough of a gap to keep things secure.  Use extra and file back to the correct shape.

Pic is of the rudder post (left) and stern post (right) on an Arab craft.  Pin on rudder drops into the gudgeon on stern post, gravity holds it in place.  Yours probably has more of a zig zag edge where the pintles are set in a notch in the rudder post.

post-17589-0-91119100-1446413443.jpg

My instructions say to solder or glue that pin that drops from the pintle & through the gudgeon. Nothing is holding for me. After studying the picture I think I can have the pin come straight down out of the notch in the rudder post. When it is all assembled no one will be able to tell that is coming down out of the wood & is not actually attached to the pintle. It will still work the same. I can still glue it where it touches the pintle on the inside too.