Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

Jesse,

I hope you start feeling bettter.  As George said, there's no deadline.   

I think there's merit to our critters knowing when we're ill or even upset.  Our previous dog and our current one insist(ed) on snuggling up with which ever one of us was having a sick day or any kind of trauma.   The new dog senses Janet having a bad pain day will just lay on her foot to let her know she's there.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I hope you get better soon! My cat usually wants to be around someone, be they sick or not! You have a nice cat. I'm sure she just admires your wonderful work!

Edited by Elijah

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Sorry to hear you've been feeling poorly Jesse. Clearly though, you've had a cat scan! :P :P :P

Thanks guys. It is something that I live with every day & will the rest of my life. A good day for me would be a sick day for an average person. I do what I can as best I can but when I have the bad spells it real tough. Anyway, progress on the rudder coat. Made a ? bracket/plate? (not sure what this thing is called). Tried to make it out of wood first but it kept breaking so I bent & hammered a brass wire flat to form it. Did a lot of filing to shape it & dilled holes for brass nails

Jesse

post-6826-0-21148400-1456150218_thumb.jpg

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

It looks great Jesse!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

Whatever it's name, it looks real good and we know what you mean.

Hope those bad days are very few, and you'll feel as good as is possible. You're in my thoughts

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Black-smithing too eh JesseLee.  Iron works look great.  Hang in there my friend, stay strong.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments & likes. Haven't made much progress lately. Getting weaker & having more bad days now so I just don't get as much done as I want to.

Cut a slot in a blunt end tweezer to hold the small brass nails for holding rudder coat on. Got it attached & painted it with flat enamel paint to look like tar which is what I assume they coated it with?

Jesse

post-6826-0-84989100-1457368958_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-79185900-1457368983_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-51620200-1457369004_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-41758300-1457369024_thumb.jpg

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Rudder coat looks great Jesse.  It was good you did it while you could still turn the ship upside down, makes it a lot easier.

Sorry to hear about your health issues, wishing you well and stay strong.

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

Looks rather good, JesseLee .. don't you think ... better slow, than not at all

I do hope you'll be feeling better (acceptable) soon, so you can enjoy your days ...you'ren in my thoughts ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I hope your health gets better soon, Jesse.   The rudder coat looks perfect.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Great work on the rudder coat Jesse....my best wishes for a fast recovery as well.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Hope you are feelin' better soon, Jesse.

(By the way, I was going to comment on the great job you did on your rudder coat, but everyone else beat me to it !!)

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

I hope you feel well soon! The rudder coat looks great!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

Great idea on slotting that tweezer JesseLee and the rudder looks very good.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 2 weeks later...

nice job on the water seal....looks sweet!   I also wish you better health my friend  .

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Doing ok Carl. Going through a pretty bad sick spell which slows the modeling down. I am working on it but not much to tell or show yet. Working on the Carronade sled construction. Making my own eyebolts out of black wire since I don't have blackening solution & don't want the hassle of trying to get paint to stay on the thin brass ones supplied in the kit. Finding all the cast metal parts (wheels & carronade barrels are very sloppy. none of the wheels are the same thickness & none of the carronades are round as they should be. For the last 2 weeks I have been slowly re-shaping these with mini files. It's unbelievable how bad these p[arts are. I don't have the funds to replace all of this so I'm having to make do with what I have, which means long delays. :o

Jesse

Hi Jesse -

Sorry to hear that you are still feeling low.  I hope things improve for you soon.  

I am also in the process of constructing the carronade sleds, and STRONGLY agree with your assessment of the (lack of) quality of the cast barrels and wheels (trucks ?).  For an otherwise excellent kit, these are horrible.  And just like you, I can't afford the nice brass Caldercraft cannon barrels.  So I've been doing a lot of filing as well.  But I guess it keeps me out of trouble...

Hang in there!

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana

rest up Jesse and take your time.........really stinks when you have to improve on kit parts.   remember......a single picture doesn't mean that your going slow,  it's progress  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks so much for the well wishes & encouragement. This is one of the many reasons I love this group of people here at MSW.

As I work on filing & shaping these parts into something useable my mind is thinking of things I could try to do. I've noticed on every body else's Syren builds they say the carronades supplied in the kit are not as thick as they should be. Since I cant buy more I wonder if it is possible to wrap them with thin paper & CA glue to thicken them up Keeping them filed & shaped right as I do this. It would take a lot more time but I think maybe it is possible?????? Anybody ever tried anything like that? Might try making one out of  a wooden dowel just to see how difficult it is. Or... I could just use them as they are knowing they should be thicker barrels.

Also thinking ahead. The plans have the ship rigged with no sails. I'm wondering about furled sails. Haven't seen anyone do this on a Syren model. Problem is I don't have enough rigging knowledge to know how to alter the rigging if I were to do this but I would like the way it would look with furled sails.

Any thoughts or input on these ideas???

Jesse