Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

Nice carronade Jesse! They're gonna look great :)!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

I also would like to keep the wood look.  I started experimenting with powdered water soluble dye. It adds the color but still leaves the wood grain.  I will experiment to see how dark I can go and still have the wood grain show.  

I also have ebony but until I get a worktable set up in my shed I hesitate to use it.

I will experiment more when I finish the belaying pins and move on to the cannon. 

Richard.

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Jesse,

Great job on the Syren. Here is a link on how to make a small lathe using a power hand drill. It's cheap and works. I made it and use it to cut canon barrels and taper masts and yards. Put a foot long dowel or square stock  and you can cut several pieces in one set up.

http://www.utube.com/watch?v=yCaGW9z4bIM

Sorry, link won't work. Search Utube for homemade lathe. There are several.

Edited by ca.shipwright

a lot of great idea on making cannons...I'm sure you'll come up with the ideal solution soon  ;)   great job thus far my friend!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Good luck with this Jesse, turning them individually will be a challenge so that they are all consistent.  After making a template, maybe try a few more to see if they look pretty much the same?  So the wood doesn't look like wood, they need to be completely sealed with all pores filled.  Painting them with a couple coats of CA is an idea for this.  It will penetrate deep and harden the wood, dries fast, and won't gum up from sanding like multiple layers of paint or finish might, and it sands easily.  The downside is that sanding each one of these guns will get tedious, and you don't want too coarse a grit of sandpaper, otherwise deep scratches will look like wood grain. 

Current Build: Golden Hind - Mamoli - Galleon 1580

Made a makeshift lathe out of my drill. Some true Redneck engineering. Pretty crappy looking & it wobbles some but does ok for what I'm doing. Used a bunch of the scrap pieces left over to create the cradle to sit the drill in. I know I could have cut out something that looked better but I don't like to waist anything & this gave me something to use all those scrap cut off ends for. I made it for function not for looks so I'm ok with it.

Real life, health & other things are keeping me from getting much done but I am very slowly working on them. I've only turned 4 but they are turning out to be very consistent so far. Wish I could feel better so I could move along a little faster.

Jesse

post-6826-0-05103300-1459980408_thumb.jpg

Edited by JesseLee

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Nice makeshift lathe! Those carronades will look great on the ship!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

JesseLee,

Looks good to me, and what's more important, it does the job!!! That's what counts ... Sorry to hear you're still not at full throttle ... I'd hoped you would be movin' an groovin' by now ... Keep your spirits up, for it sounds like your carronades will come out good!

Cheers mate

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

just do what you can......hope you feel better soon.  every bit of progress you make brings you closer to completion  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Great looking lathe there JesseLee.  A few years ago I demo'd a similar setup I used to turn a few small items.  One has to use what one can to do the job.  With time on hand all your canons will be completed sooner then you think and besides, it's a hobby and have fun.  Hope you are feeling better soon my friend.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I like your approach to the cannons.  I turned the ones for my Constellation using brass rod, files, and dremel  with a chuck.  Wood is probably much easier on the hands I would hope.  Looking great.   I hope you get to feeling better and can get back to the bench.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you all. I feel blessed to have such a community of friends here on MSW! :D

Jesse

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

• 2 weeks later...

Still working on turning the carronades. going very slowly, still not feeling well. Got 11 of them turned. Here is a shot of 3 of them being formed on a dowel, the metal template & various other tools I'm using to make them.

Jesse

post-6826-0-44868900-1461359052_thumb.jpg

Great looking carronades Jesse! Clever idea with the jig and template! Been going through a wee bout myself lately, and I feel your pain. Hope it goes away sooner rather than later.  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Jesse -

I admire your ingenuity!  Your improvised cutting tool will certainly guarantee that all carronade barrels are uniform.  Nicely done.

I hope your health improves.  I am retired from the U.S. Forest Service and over the years picked a number of ticks from my body.  So there but for the grace of God...   And some of my good friends and former colleagues are dealing with tick related illness.  Hang in there!

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana

Those carronades are looking great Jesse! I hope you feel better soon!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

Member of:

Still at it, my friend. You've got some stamina!!! Looking very good ... I like the mold you are using to make them of equal size ... turning three at once will make it faster too. Looking forward to the first stain on them ... Keep it up ... you're still in my thoughts!

Cheers

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I love the way you're turning the guns, Jesse.   The template is a great idea and ensures they all look alike.   

I'm hoping you start feeling better.... 

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

A nice bit of ingenuity Jesse.  I would have turned a master then cast them in resin.  I think my sister left them back in Chitown.  Making many duplicates on a lathe is time consuming and nerve wracking.  I am glad you are feeling better. Kudos.

David B 

I need to learn how to do that David. Have no experience with casting.

Jesse

I have a Syren in the box for a future build - I'm definitely learning a lot from your log and enjoying your mods and ingenuity!

- Stubby 

"They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters;

These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep."

- Psalm 107:23-24 (KJV)

JesseLee,

Your carronades are a huge improvement over the kit parts. They look like total junk compared to what you are producing plus you will have the satisfaction of having done it yourself. I am looking forward to seeing them installed and rigged. They will look great.

Feel better my friend.

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Agree with everyone else Jesse........sealed and painted,  the barrels will have the smoothness of brass.  great job.........your doing well in spite of how you feel........strength and determination  ;)   I hope you feel better soon.   totally impressed  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

I have paused my work on the carronades for the moment. Another MSW member is sending me a lathe Dremel attachment. I am very humbled a blessed over the kindness & generosity people here at MSW have shown me. Since being disabled from my chronic lyme disease our income has dropped dramatically so finances make it difficult or impossible to buy kits, tools, etc. to give me something to work on. I have been gifted 3 kits, an assortment of wood, had tons of support & encouragement & now this is coming. I feel so blessed to have found this group of people! As I thought about all this it brought a tear to my eye. Ship modeling is wonderful therapy for me & helps keep my motor skills from deteriorating as fast. It means so much to me. Thank you so much everybody!

Jesse

Hi Jesse -

While waiting for the Dremel attachment, you might consider working on the deck fittings (Chapters Twelve and Thirteen).  And as Chuck recommends, "Each fitting should be treated as a mini modeling project of its own".  For me, these have been very satisfying and given me a sense of accomplishment.  The binnacle and companionway turned out much better than I expected.  And of course the build logs by Sal, Dubz, Rafine, and Gahm help to visualize the finished product.    With the main fife rail, note the warning to be careful when drilling holes in the laminated fife rail - it is still rather fragile as I learned the hard way.  So...grab some of these small fun projects that help move your build along.  And I hope you are feeling better.

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana