Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

sorry to hear you've not felt up to snuff..........what you've done so far under the circumstances,  is amazing.   to what others have suggested to leave be,  you've gone the extra mile to make them right....your awesome!   I hope there is improvement in your future  ;)

our youngest just left the nest..........funny,  I was always the one who relied on  'tough love'.    I'll admit..........I miss the little scrapper ;)   while it does leave one with an empty feeling,   we all know that they need to pave their own roads  ;)   keep that upper lip stiff my friend!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

JesseLee,

I know just how you feel.  I'll be driving my daughter to her new home 1,100 miles away tomorrow to start graduate school.  She already went off to college, but that was only a couple hours away..... twenty hours is going to hit a lot harder!  Hang in there buddy!

Stubby

"They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters;

These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep."

- Psalm 107:23-24 (KJV)

Hi,JesseLee.

This kit arrived this very morning (SYREN) so if you dont mind i shall br scrutinizing your build log with a view to

gaining any hints and tips as you proceed.It looks to have a very comprehensive book of instructions good luck

with your build.     J Bode

Thanks Dirk, Carl, Piet, Denis, Jeff, Stubby, and thanks for your interest Janet, welcome aboard!

I got all the brackets on. I decided to change them from red to black. I made the elevation screws. Managed to get 2 pieces of wire through the screws to make 4 screw handles instead of 2.  I tried to get threads on them so they would look like screws but failed terribly and had to give up that effort. Years ago when I worked as a bench jeweler I could have used silver ear ring posts. Wish I had some of them now- they would have looked really good. Anyway, all the carronades are on the sleds & ready to put in place & rigging. I am satisfied with where they sit in the gun ports. Not perfectly centered but close enough for what I have to work with.

Jesse

post-6826-0-08911700-1471834258.jpg

post-6826-0-19281700-1471834294.jpg

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Good work Jesse Lee,

those carronades look very good..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nice job Jesse!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Jesse,

Beautiful work. Are you using a milling machine or Sheerline for all the close drilling? Or, are you doing this freehand with a pin vise or Dremel?

Regards

Michael

Edited by ca.shipwright

Thanks everybody!

Michael, I am mostly doing it freehand with a pin vice. I do use a Dremel some but for the very close & small drilling I can control it better by hand. I tend to make a mess with the Dremel if it is very small and/or very close. As a matter of fact much of my cutting, sanding, shaping, drilling, etc. is done the old fashioned way- by hand rather than the Dremel. It slows me down a lot but I like the control I have & the "feel" that I cant get with electric power. I just seem to work with it better that way. It probably comes from most of my life not having any kind of power tools and having to do things the old way- totally by hand. I have a two storied pipe rack I built for myself when I was in my 20's that I only used a hand saw, sandpaper, glue and a few nails to build it with.

Jesse  

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Jesse,

I used to do furniture building and other macro wood projects. I made 3 foot blanket chest with hand cut dovetails.  A most rewarding project for my wife. I also find the Dremel to "strong" for freehand use. I found more use for it mounted in a drill press or some other contraption.

Regards

Great progress, Jesse! It is quite a mile stone to have all the carronades finished. And they turned out very nicely!

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

I don't use the dremel much either.....the dog hates the sound of it  :D  :D     sweet looking carronades!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 2 weeks later...

Have been making the hooked blocks for the carronade rigging. After making a whole string of them I read about others running into the problem of not enough space between blocks to do the rigging. So I made them all a little smaller both blocks & hooks. This has taken a very long time.

Jesse

post-6826-0-86238300-1473182961_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-93051200-1473182983_thumb.jpg

Nice job Jesse! Those should be fun to use, unless you don't enjoy rigging, and if you don't, they will still look great!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Great job on those blocks!

I too prefer working with hand tools vs power tools. It allows me to screw up a good piece of wood at a more controlled rate! :)

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Great job on those blocks!

I too prefer working with hand tools vs power tools. It allows me to screw up a good piece of wood at a more controlled rate! :)

and you can see  at your convenience how you jam the tool you are working with in your finger(s) or e.g. the palm of your hand ;)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Very n ice looking carronades JesseLee and not to forget to splendid those splendid miniature blocks!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

nice progress Jesse   :)  what size are those blocks......they look small.

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks for all the feedback & the likes everyone.

Denis, the blocks are about 3mm long & about 4mm with the hook.

I looked in my few books I have to see these blocks. Because the hooks were rigged to the blocks I am now adding some line to the blocks to simulate this a little better.

Jesse

post-6826-0-01413100-1474038406.jpg

I got to thinking that before adding and rigging the carronades in place I would rather pre-do a lot of the deck work while they are out of the way. I can just picture damaging some of them trying to work on other stuff all over the deck. I figured I'd make everything, get holes drilled, etc. but not glue anything down until after the carronades are in place. 

First thing is the mast holes. Made a paper template to get the right angle from the plans. Used that to make a crude wooden drill guide. Dilled the mast holes very slowly first by digging out a smaller hole with cutting tools then using drills working up in size and checking the angles frequently as I go. This will get it very close but also give me a little wiggle room later on when the masts are installed. Each mast hole had a separate guide built but I only took shots of one to show the process. Now I will move on to the gratings, and other deck fittings.

I know, how can I work around such clutter?!?!  :o  Don't know how I do it myself. Every time I clean it all up it ends up right back like this again. It just works for me. Part of my problem is a severe lack of space but I think it would still be like this no matter how much space I had. :rolleyes:

Jesse

post-6826-0-60083700-1474730590_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-40685800-1474730840_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-16045300-1474730855_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-82241700-1474730873_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-18150500-1474730930_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-20401200-1474730946_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-37044200-1474730972_thumb.jpg

Hi Jesse -

I drilled mast holes too and I am glad that I did.  I just finished the shrouds and I think the job would have been much more difficult if the masts were wobbling all over the place becuse of lack of support.  Your jig should help insure that the mast holes are drilled at the correct angle.

Your ship is looking good.  

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana