Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

Wow! Those are some nice cleats! Great work Jesse!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

very nice progress since I last looked in Jesse!   the home made cleats are super......very nice work on the mast as well  :)   glad to see your still getting to the table....

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 3 weeks later...

Making the Fore and Main Tops.

Jesse

DSCN3025.JPG

DSCN3026.JPG

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Drilled all the holes. Used snips of wire on top to hang the blocks. Painted black.

Jesse

DSCN3051.JPG

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Made the deadeye plates from .012 black rigging line like the instructions show. Wasn't sure about this at first but after trying a few it looks fine. Form an eye, seize above it and add glue. After painting (I used gun metal gray/black) and you cant tell the are made from rigging. Pull the 2 loose ends through the holes in the top to tie around the deadeyes on the other side. The instructions said to tie an overhand knot, glue and snip off but I tied an overhand knot, looped back around bottom of deadeye then tied another overhand knot around the bottom of the deadeye for extra security when rigging will be pulling on them.

Jesse

DSCN3053.JPG

DSCN3054.JPG

DSCN3055.JPG

DSCN3056.JPG

DSCN3057.JPG

DSCN3059.JPG

Love what you've achieved with the masts, cleats and tops, should all look stunning all in place.  The deadeye plates do look convincing, nicely done.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hi Jesse.

I have been following along with your build with great interest. Your long boat by-the-way looks fantastic. the way you are going, have you ever thought of joining the scratch build club?

kier

Saving for: HMS Vanguard...Victory models.

finished: Bluenose11...Billing Boats... (sorry no log.

Kier, I have done some scratch builds before.

Jesse

I didn't have much choice. Kits are not cheap. A poor man has to build it from scratch. Actually started carving small ships from scratch when I was a teenager. I did buy one kit in my early 20's to learn planking but most of my life I had to make them myself. The last 2 kits were gifts. This one is about half the kit and half scratch.

Jesse

Nice going JesseLee, good bit of progress.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while again but I look at it as I have a permanent Dr.'s note! :(

Progress on the tops. Made the rails. Began tapering/shaping the top masts. This is how I mark pieces that are eight sided like these are in places. Shows me exactly where the edges need to be. I started out scraping them with a razor blade. Just getting this far causes me to have excruciating pain throughout my body especially in my back and shoulders. I intended to keep going a bit longer but our cat Izzy decided she wasn't going to let me. She got right on my lap and would not stay down and out my way so we retired to my chair for the evening.

More to come soon,

Jesse

DSCN3060.JPG

DSCN3063.JPG

DSCN3065.JPG

DSCN3066.JPG

DSCN3069.JPG

Jesse,

apparently you are doing a good job as the yard master (your kitty) is more interested of cleaning than supervising.

That looks so good.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

our furry friends seem to think we've had enough,  more than we do  :D  :D   mine like to direct me to the TV room.......some of the best cuddling time ;)  you have done some beautiful work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed that I hadn't done the rudder chains. Started to do it like the instructions say but after reading what Dubz says about this I did it the way he did. 

Jesse

DSCN3078.JPG

DSCN3087.JPG

DSCN3088.JPG

DSCN3089.JPG

heck yea !   gotta have those monkey chains  ;)    nicely done......and the stern set up looks really sweet too  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Jesse Lee,

It wont really resemble a MSW Syren with the changes you have made, first class. The stern, rudder, and wheel in addition to all the other refinements changes the whole aesthetics of the build. Kudos this Buds for you:cheers:

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Well done JesseLee, she's looking great.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

I'm looking at areas that i know I will have trouble reaching into later when masts, rigging, etc. are in place. Looking at Dirks build I went on and did the anchor ropes on deck now. I found this a little difficult to do.Making sure everything attached at just the right place wasn't that easy for me.

For ropes that need serving I'm using a homemade machine. I was talking to a friend of mine about wanting to get Chuck's. He wanted something to do so he went and made this. Not really what i wanted but it works. For someone who doesn't really understand serving or anything in miniature he actually did pretty good. It is a little rickety but it will do for now until I get a better one.

Jesse

DSCN3121.JPG

DSCN3122.JPG

DSCN3125.JPG

DSCN3098.JPG

DSCN3099.JPG

Jim, I really don't know. Dirk has done research on things like this on his builds like the correct rigging for the ships wheel and rudder. I tried to look this up myself but didn't find what I was looking for so I trusted Dirks research into it and copied him. The kit instructions do not show them. Maybe some others could shed some light on this and teach some of us about this?

Jesse

Let me see if I can help. When raising the anchor. The actual anchor rope (line) does not go around the barrel of the windlass. There are a couple of reasons for this. One is the anchor line is too big in diameter and it is very messy. So a messenger is used. This is a smaller line that is attached to the Anchor line with a tool called nippers. So as the windlass goes around you often have to pause and release and reattach the nippers. Also once the Anchor is raised the anchor line is made fast by tying the messenger to the grating etc. Remember the Anchor is one of the heaviest items on the ship and could do a lot of damage.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

I think the lines attached to the anchor cable are "stoppers" (not sure how/if different then "nippers").  They are made fast to iron rings on the deck then secured to the anchor cable to ensure that an anchor can't run away if it somehow breaks loose.  On modern ships chain stoppers and pelican hooks are used.

HTH,

Keith

Nice work Jesse. No comment on your build (which is excellent) but the chaser cannon tackle is awful close to the rudder tackle. I wonder how they managed that?

Edited by lambsbk

Excellent work JesweLee. Your cable server is much better then mine - - I don't have one.  If I need one I'll make my own as well, rickety or not, it works.

Your detail on the anchor cable is spot on.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra