Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

Floyd gave a good explanation of the messengers.......if you want to see more,  go into Dafi's Victory project.  somewhere in the middle of the log,  he shows these ropes and their function.  she's look'in good Jesse.......very nice progress.   any tool is a good tool,  if it does the job. ;)  I don't even own one.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Dave, I'm not sure. This is how close the instructions show them. If I remember right this was discussed some on Dirks and several other Syren builds. Don't remember the details of the discussion  but everyone agrees that everything is very close together here.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Making a little progress. Made the boarding panels, hammock cranes and boards. Cut a strip of card stock paper and marked the spacing for them off of the instruction sheets. I have had to re-glue these many times as I keep bumping and snagging them. I wonder how much of a problem I'm going to have with these as the build continues.

Jesse

DSCN2982.JPG

DSCN2983.JPG

DSCN2984.JPG

DSCN2989.JPG

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Continued.....

DSCN2990.JPG

DSCN3140.JPG

DSCN2991.JPG

DSCN2992.JPG

DSCN3141.JPG

DSCN3142.JPG

look'in really nice Jesse.  are you going to add tulle netting?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Nicely done JesseLee. Your jeweler's touch is showing my friend, splendid work.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Jesse -

When I was adding the netting, I found that a couple of small dabs of super glue worked very well to hold it in place.  Be sure to get the netting all the way down to the bottom of the hammock cranes and not leave a big gap between the netting and the rail.

Your model is looking very very nice.  I admire the quality of your work.

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana

Thanks for the likes and encouragement. Yes, I'm working on the netting now.

Jesse

Making the netting. Taped a section of it down flat. I cut out a guide from a sheet of paper. This took several tries until I got it that fits in the cranes the same size of the netting. Once this was checked, double checked and triple checked I used the paper as a size guide for the netting. I laid it down over the taped down netting and carefully stretched thread along the edges of the paper guide taping the ends of the thread down. (Somehow missed getting a shot of this step)

When I had all 4 thread sides in place I used something called Fray Check I picked up in the sewing section at Walmart. to hold the thread in place. This made a little bit of semi-clear places along the edges but thats ok. After cutting out and tying the netting all around alcohol was used to dissolve the Fray check and remove that stuff out of the netting holes.  

This all took me much longer to do than I expected. I touched up some edges with CA glue where the netting looked pulled away form the rope. I realized too late that I probably used one size too large threading for this net siding but I'm gonna let it go like it is and be ok with it.

Jesse

DSCN3138.JPG

DSCN3139.JPG

DSCN3143.JPG

DSCN3144.JPG

Netting looks quite nice JesseLee.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Merry Christmas to you and your family and a good 2018.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Got the hammock netting installed. Didn't turn out as good as I would like. My camera doesn't capture the details I can see. I would suggest if anyone ties the netting to the rope edging use a much finer thread. Mine had too large of knots everywhere I tied one. Most of it is hidden though. 

Went on and tied the longboat on. was worried it would be in the way of trying to tie to the pin rails but then thought that it might be just as hard to tie it down later too.

Jesse

DSCN3146.JPG

DSCN3147.JPG

DSCN3149.JPG

DSCN3150.JPG

Nice tutorial on how you did your netting Jesse.  

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

I agree with everyone Jesse......the netting came out great!  I'm sure you plan on adding the rolled up hammocks......wait till you do that to make a final decision.

very well done my friend!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Tried to use the open hearts supplied with the kit but every one broke or split. I cut out my own from wood disks from Hobby Lobby. Theses are very thin layered wood disks so they had the strength not to break. Got the open & closed hearts ready to add onto the Bowsprit.

Jesse

DSCN3127.JPG

DSCN3128.JPG

DSCN3129.JPG

DSCN3130.JPG

Bowsprit, Jibboom & flying Jibboom assembly.....

DSCN3131.JPG

DSCN3132.JPG

DSCN3133.JPG

DSCN3134.JPG

Attached the hearts.

This seemed to take up more room than the pictures and instructions show. It was like I made the ropes for the hearts too thick but I didn't want to tear it all up and start over. I'm going with what I got but wish it all fit more snug like the pictures and diagrams show.

Jesse

DSCN3135.JPG

DSCN3136.JPG

DSCN3137.JPG

Edited by JesseLee

Bowsprit, Jibboom & Flying Jibboom all assembled and glued into place. Figurehead glued on. Could not get a good close-up shot of it like I wanted.

This is the part of the build where I have to be extra careful because I always bump, snag and break things that stick out. I actually delayed this step until now for this very reason.

Jesse

DSCN3151.JPG

DSCN3152.JPG

DSCN3153.JPG

Very nice progress JesseLee. Your netting looks just fine and I'm especially impresed by how great the ship's boat came ot.  The hearts look equally marvy and don't fret about the ropes being a tad too large, it seems you are managing alright.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra