Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

Got them all done and glued in place. I'm glad this was suggested, I wasn't going to add these as it wasn't in the instructions but I like the way it looks.

Jesse

DSCN3177.JPG

DSCN3178.JPG

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

The addition of the hammocks was a great idea Jesselee. This way your ship has that "authentic" look as well as a conversation piece.  Great going my friend.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

very nice job on the hammocks........looks really sweet!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Was going to have an update today but our oldest dog Abby passed away today. I had to buried her and because of my health condition it has totally wiped me out. Sad day for me.

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

sorry to hear Jesse...my condolences to you and your family.   a dog is just as much part of the family......lost one myself :(  Haps {Happy} has been gone now for almost eight years.......me and the misses still miss him.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Sorry about your loss, Jesse. We lost our Abby about a year ago. Lovely Golden. Take it slow and easy; get your strength back.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Sorry to hear that, losing a dog is very painful. I feel for you. Take care

Jesse -  I can only echo what the others have already said.  Our love for our pets is almost as great as their love for us.  I know that I grieved long and hard when I lost a dog.  Hard to say good-bye.  I understand and sympathize.  

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana

Sad indeed JesseLee. Loosing a faithful and trusting friend is always hard to cope with. We wish you and your family strength.

With kind regards,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

I'm sorry to hear about Abby.  They are family and losing one is so damn hard.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Me and my pups feel your loss.

The emptiness of a dear and loyal friend.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Thank you all for the words of encouragement. We had Abby for about 12 or 13 years. I'm gonna miss her a lot.

Worked on the deadeye strops. likns, preventer links, etc. that are involved with the chain plates. Made the standard jig using different size nails and pins. Did the way the instructions showed. I would rather solder the joints but I am not set up soldering much so i had to settle for dabbing each spot with CA glue and hope it holds well enough. Got them all in the channel slots and got the molding over the ends. It is all still in a rough state. Still need to sabd paint, and touch up the glued spots on the links with gun metal enamel paint.

Sorry for the out of focus pictures. My camera was dropped a few years back and the screen is mostly black now so you cant tell how the picture is focused or centered until you put the card in the computer to look at.

Jesse

DSCN3182.JPG

DSCN2986.JPG

DSCN2987.JPG

DSCN3181.JPG

DSCN2985.JPG

are you making sure that all of the fastening brads are below deck level?   speaking from experience  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Well, a little setback. When I tried to pin the preventer links at the bottom the whole chain plate assembly hangs too far down. It all reaches over the wales. Now I have to clip off all the links and shorten them so that everything ends just above the wales. This is gonna take a while................

Jesse

• 2 weeks later...

Gotten behind on posting updates. Completed the topmasts, topgallant masts, tops, crosstrees, fids. cheek blocks, etc. to add to the lower fore and main masts I had completed in earlier posts.

Jesse

DSCN3070.JPG

DSCN3071.JPG

DSCN3072.JPG

DSCN3162.JPG

DSCN3164.JPG

DSCN3165.JPG

DSCN3166.JPG

DSCN3167.JPG

Wow, you have been a busy beaver JesseLee and well done I should add.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Very Impressive Jessie.

Peter

Current Build:     USF Confederacy 1778 - Model Shipways - 1:64

Completed:         US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64

San Francisco Cross Section - Artesania Latina - 1:50

Future build:        HM Granado - Caldercraft - 1:64

LeRenard - Artesania Latina - 1:50

very nice progress....the added detail looks great!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I rigged the lower lift blocks, jeer blocks and slings before gluing the masts in place.

Jesse

DSCN3179.JPG

DSCN3076.JPG

DSCN3180.JPG

DSCN3194.JPG

Edited by JesseLee

I always worry i wont get the masts glued at the right angles. I made these jigs hold the at the same angles on the plans. Each one is precisely made to fit around the mast and around, over in between, etc. all the stuff in the way to hold it exactly into place. Used small triangle squares to make sure they are not leaning on the sides. I had all this down with a combination of clothes pins and masking tape until the glue is set.

Jesse

DSCN3183.JPG

DSCN3184.JPG

DSCN3185.JPG

DSCN3186.JPG

DSCN3187.JPG

DSCN3188.JPG

Beautiful work on the masts JesseLee and a very cleaver jig.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra