Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

now that is just insanely cool!  :)    nothing short of sheer genius......very impressive!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Brilliant work with the jigs, Jesse.Another trick for the old idea bag.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Jesse - Did you drill a hole for the main mast first? And did you drill that hole with the slight rake as shown on the plans? It is hard to tell from the pictures.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Yes, I worried over that very early on. take a look back at page 22 of this build log to see how I dealt with that.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

The masts are set. Hard to get a good shot of them because they are so tall.

Jesse

DSCN3193.JPG

DSCN3195.JPG

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

I had to go back and shorten every one of the middle and toe links so that They did not end beyond the wales.  Used a temporary shroud line to line all the chainplate assemblies to the proper angles.. Got them all done and touched up with paint.

Jesse

DSCN3189.JPG

DSCN3191.JPG

DSCN3192.JPG

DSCN3197.JPG

Nicely done JesseLee.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

you've made some really great progress!   did you need to get on a step ladder to take that one picture?  absolutely splendid!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thank you everybody!

Starting the lower shrouds. Got out the rickety homemade serving machine. Serving the first shroud lines.

Jesse

DSCN3198.JPG

DSCN3200.JPG

DSCN3201.JPG

Made brass spacers for the deadeyes. Sorry about some of the pictures not being as clear as others - old damaged camera. 

DSCN3202.JPG

DSCN3204.JPG

Rigged the lanyards through the deadeyes. Got all the lower shrouds completed.

Jesse

DSCN3206.JPG

DSCN3207.JPG

DSCN3208.JPG

DSCN3209.JPG

DSCN3210.JPG

Looking very nice JesseLee and now the rat lines.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

nice work on the shrouds....considering the time from your last posting,  you didn't take you that long  ;)    I made a jig for the spacing.....first one I ever made.  I like your idea of making a pair.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks guys! Denis, my posting is a little behind from my actual work progress. I tend to get behind on the posting so when I finally do it looks like I suddenly did a lot of work in a short period of time. In reality I have been working on it and not posting like I should and my pictures are building up on the camera and then I start trying to catch up with my posting.

Jesse

I see.........well,  just think........doing it like that,  you'll be done before ya know it  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Well JesseLee at least you have a serving machine, I do not. Rickety or not it serves the purpose - pun intended ;)

A nifty dead eye spacing tool you made my friend and your shrouds look really nice.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Still trying to get caught up with my build log posting. Seems this Lyme is keeping me in sick bay more than the shipyard. Another bad bout with it this week and had to change a starter while sick, no fun.

Anyway.....Served and eyed a rope end for the Main Stay. Tried the more elaborate way to make a mouse for it. I have never done this before so I just had to find out how hard it was. Got it done, completed the Mainstay/ lanyards hearts, etc. Even though the heart looks good this way up close under magnification, I just don't see the need for doing it this way at this scale. The next one will be much simpler- winding thread around to proper shape and glue/paint/whatever.

Jesse

DSCN3211.JPG

DSCN3213.JPG

DSCN3214.JPG

DSCN3215.JPG

DSCN3217.JPG

Yeah, that's a lot of work making a mouse, but it came out rather nice. Agree, at this scale it may not be worth your wile, at least not now with battling that lyme beast.

Hang in JesseLee!

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

nice work on the mouse......impressive under the circumstances.   hoping you recover from this latest setback...your strength is to be commended  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks for all the encouragement and likes! 

Completed the Main preventer stay, Fore stay and the Fore preventer stay. Same process as the Main stay. I did a much simpler mouse for these and can't visually tell any difference.  It was much easier to do the lanyards on the Fore stays because the location of the hearts. If only the rest of it could be this easy to get to, lol. I couldn't find any illustrations on the proper way to tie off the lanyards so I just did what I could on these.

Jesse

DSCN3218.JPG

DSCN3220.JPG

DSCN3221.JPG

DSCN3223.JPG

DSCN3224.JPG

Edited by JesseLee

The model looks stunning Jessie. Well done.

Peter

Current Build:     USF Confederacy 1778 - Model Shipways - 1:64

Completed:         US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64

San Francisco Cross Section - Artesania Latina - 1:50

Future build:        HM Granado - Caldercraft - 1:64

LeRenard - Artesania Latina - 1:50

Thank you Peter and Carl