Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

I haven't quit. Been slowly working on making the yards and rigging blocks on them a little at a time.  It's taking me a very long time. Hopefully I can get some pictures up soon when things get back to normal around here. Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

It was out west, Jesse. Hope yours was as well.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

hope you had a great Christmas Jesse ;)    given the way your Syren looks,  the addition of the yards will make her look even more impressive!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Syren looks really great Jesselee.  Gwen and I wish you and your family a great 2019.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Always good to hear from you Piet!

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

• 4 weeks later...

I have been slowly working on things a little at a time during the short spells i feel like it enough. I started shaping and constructing the yards back in December. Got them all made and started adding all the blocks, stirrups and footropes. The blocks seemed like they took me forever to rig. I did order a bunch of them from Syren Model Co. so they would look better.

Jesse

Making yards.jpg

Yard blocks @ footropes.jpg

I painted the footropes with diluted PVA glue. Hung these mini clips on them and hung them up to dry to form the proper hanging shapes.

Jesse

shaping footropes.jpg

Completed yards.....

Jesse

completed yards.jpg

This month I started shaping the stuns'l booms and began making the boom irons. I started with the brass tubing supplied in the kit. Found it harder to cut out and drill than I expected. Looked around in my stuff and found some aluminum tubing I got at Hobby Lobby a few years ago. This was much easier to cut out and drill and made the process much faster than with the brass. I don't have proper soldering equipment so I am having to settle with using CA glue instead. Not really how I wanted it but you gotta work with what you have. Have now got all the irons and booms formed, ready to start adding them to the yards. 

Jesse

Making stuns'l boom irons.jpg

stuns'l boom rings.jpg

stuns'l booms and irons.jpg

Well Jesse, that's still no small task that you've finished there.  After all, as they say, our hobby is not a race to finish, but rather something to enjoy while it lasts.  Adding the spar accessories off ship will make the rigging simpler and actually faster anyway.

Keep it up, you're doing a fine job.

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

very nice job on the yards Jesse........more times than not,  I use Ca on the brass too.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Nice yard work JesseLee and if CA can do the trick, so what.  Once completed there'll be no one to put stress on it, it'll last a lifetime.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

• 4 weeks later...

Was planning on posting an update (mostly rigging all the blocks I can to prepare to ad the yards and running rigging) but got news yesterday that a former foster dad lost his battle with cancer yesterday. He is the reason I live where I do. I lived in their home longer than any other foster home growing up so they were the closest thing to real family I had growing up. (I did know my real family but never lived with them growing up.) 

I'll try to post soon

Jesse

Sorry to hear that Jesse.  It's never easy losing people that made a difference in our lives, no mater how short the relationship.

Dave

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Finally caught up on your progress, coming along nicely, getting there.

My sincere condolences its never easy, time eases the pain.

John

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

sorry to hear about your loss Jesse........condolences to you and the family :( 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Sorry to read that Jesse. It's always tough to lose family and friends.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I don't think the feelings for the loss between a real or a foster parent will differ, so I know the pain. My sincere condolences Jesse. I wish you and your family lots of strength during this time of grief.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

My added condolences JesseLee.  

All the best,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

• 3 weeks later...

Finished all the Stuns'l booms on the Yards. Forgot to take a picture of them finished before I started adding them. Have added the Main and Fore Lower Main Coarse Yards. Lanyards, Jeer Lines, Lifts, Leech Lines and Bunt Lines.  I'm not very good at photography so I'm not really able to show all this detail like I want to.

Rigging the falls and tackles for all this is becoming much more difficult for me with the nerve damage in mu hands and fingers so it takes 4-5 times longer than it should but I get through it. I do find it fascinating to actually see haw all this rigging works and where everything is belayed.  I think about how they had to figure all this out over time in the History of sailing. 

I tried to rig the lower Yards without pinning them to the masts like the instructions say. Wanted to let the rigging hold them like the real thing but found out that with a model gravity is not the same and the rigging pulls the Yards upward and they wont sit facing forward like you want then too without pinning them in place.

Beginning the Main and Fore Topsail Yards Rigging now.

Jesse

4.jpg

5.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Nice work JesseLee.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

truly nice job jesse :)   she's filling out very nice!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The footropes are getting a little out of sh. I have decided it is hopeless to keep shaping the hang just right while doing all this rigging so I'm gonna' wait until the end to get them hanging just right again. 

Jesse

• 3 weeks later...

Added a few more yards and a lot more rigging. 

Jesse

L1.jpg

L2.jpg

L3.jpg

L4.jpg

L5.jpg

L6.jpg

L7.jpg

L8.jpg

L9.jpg

L10.jpg

Likewise.  Looks like you've done quite abit of work on your ship since your last post Jesse.

Dave