Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

really nice progress Jesse.....stay rigging is very nice {like the mice  ;) }

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 8/1/2015 at 5:15 PM, dgbot said:

Nice planking job. I never tree nail because I thought they stood out to much . I have seen them done using a piece of tubing with the end sharpened this made a nice effect.

David B

There was an article in the Ships In Scale mag. in the Jan/Feb 2012 issue by Robert Steinbrunn, where he used a sharpened piece of thin wall stainless steel tubing  held in a pin vice.  I think this system of wooden bungs was used on ships that used metal fasteners, so most earlier ships wouldn't have done this.  He was building BlueJackets 1/48 scale model of the Smuggler.  He said he made 3252 of these impressions, so it sounded like quite a job. :huh:

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Very nice work JesseLee.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Added the sheer poles fruttock staves and fruttock shrouds. The wood supplied with the kit was too weak for the sheer poles and fruttock staves so I sanded down toothpicks for them, worked much better. Looking at the plans I probably should have the poles about a mm lower but will go with them as they are.

(Somehow the pictures loaded in the opposite order that I added them. They should show from the last one to the first)

Jesse

DSCN3234.JPG

DSCN3233.JPG

DSCN3232.JPG

DSCN3230.JPG

DSCN3228.JPG

DSCN3227.JPG

Edited by JesseLee

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Carl is right, and with your comment it's just a simple job by starting from the bottom up. Your jewelry making skills show with how neat and precise everything is. These closeups can't hide much, very nice work JesseLee.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

congratz on making it to the rigging stage......quite a journey to get to this stage ;)    she's a labor of love......and your off to a good start :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Excellent work on the rigging Jesse, think you've captured the scale beautifully.  The colours really look spot on as well complimenting the rest of the model.  Well done.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks for all the likes and encouraging comments. 

Got the lower catharpins rigged on. I rigged them the way the plan sheet shows them instead of the simplified way the instruction book shows. This wad very difficult because of the very tight space and the scale size.  After doing one I really wished I had just tied them off at each end. Now I dread doing this again when I get to the upper ones. ( Sorry but the pics loaded in reverse again)

Jesse

DSCN3237.JPG

DSCN3236.JPG

DSCN3235.JPG

Edited by JesseLee

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Made guides for the ratlines...

DSCN3238.JPG

DSCN3239.JPG

Those hooks that you're using look very good also.  Are they fittings that came with the kit, purchased, or did you have to make them yourself?

Dave

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Dave, I made them myself from the roll of wire that was sent in the kit. I used to be a bench jeweler before my illness so making small things come natural to me.

Jesse

Something my wife got for me at Hobby Lobby.

Started ratlines. I experimented with the different ways of tying the ends. The first 2 I an eye splice lashed to the shroud line This was hard to do and very time consuming. The next 2 I tied the ends and seized it like the eye spliced ones. Without magnification you cant see the difference so I'm continuing to do them that way instead. It is less time consuming this way too.  A lot of clove hitching to do!

Jesse

DSCN3241.JPG

Steve, my kit came with the ropes missing. This kit was a gift and I did not know if they would have sent me any or not. I also wasn't sure what quality it would be - past kit ropes have always been awful. I probably would have swithed up anyway because I like to use dark brown instead of black for standing rigging. I'm using a combination of other stuff I have saved up. The larger shroud lines are Chuck's ropes from his Syren Co. The smaller is different sizes of sewing thread I got at Hobby Lobby. I was thinking about this yesterday. I'm not sure I have enough leftovers to finish the rigging. Will probably order more from Chuck. It is the best rope I have ever used.

Jesse

Jesse Lee,

Just caught up, what we have here is a great build it gets better every post Kudos:cheers::cheers:

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

52 minutes ago, rtropp said:

Ratliner MS7202

rtropp,

A member posted a series of pics. He purchased one to see if it would ease the pain of tying ratlines. If I remember (and its a big if) He said the loom material appeared sturdy, (there was a plastic loom a line that was worthless) he followed instructions and posted step by step pics. It seemed like much more trouble than its worth.

I am not an expert model builder. I put myself in the mediocre class, one thing I am an expert on is ratlines. When doing the Victory I tried different methods card with lines, clamps with wood spacer etc. Had finished all shrouds and ratlines looked horrible. With input from members and finally gathering up enough courage I grabbed a pair of scissors and cut everything out the whole shebang, shrouds ratlines futtock shrouds. My courage came from MR. Jack Daniels.

I freehand them breaking the shrouds in quarters. I find it faster and not as tiring, and there are other methods all posted on this site in a addition to the item you brought up.

Most builders like Jesse Lee use the lined card review what he just posted, his are perfectly spaced and spaced exactly according to his plans his shrouds and futtocks are perfect.

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Catching up with you JesseLee, fantastic progress my friend. Ratlines are looking pretty good.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

How did you get that realistic sag in the ratlines and how did you get it to stay put?

Dave

ratlines are coming along nicely....I too like the sag you have there  ;) 

I used to have a loom that came with a Heller kit........haven't a clue where it got off to.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

On 2018-04-08 at 7:53 AM, rtropp said:

I wonder if anyone has tried the new Ratliner MS7202 The Shroud Building Tool from model expo?

There is a discussion here https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/17374-model-shipway-ratline-tool/

Doug

Current BuildsBluenose II - AKrabbenkutter / Prince de Neufchatel / Essex Cross-section / Syren / Barque Stefano / Winchelsea / Half Hull / Maria HF31 - Dusek / Bandirma - Turkmodel

On the Shelf: Santisima Trinidad and Cross Section / HMS Cutter Alert / Tender AVOS / Confederacy

Suspended Build: Bluenose II - Billing Boats Nr 600