Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

Jesse, tree nails are fine if they are subdued and you have to look for them. Too many people accent them and as a result they stand out causing the maritime measles effect.

David B

Made a stand. Tried to make it look like timbers used in dry dock.

George, It will be copper plated so no more tree nails till the deck

post-6826-0-62256100-1438466023_thumb.jpg

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Nice planking job. I never tree nail because I thought they stood out to much . I have seen them done using a piece of tubing with the end sharpened this made a nice effect.

David B

Thanks Robb. Yes she is a bit bigger!

David, I might actually use that method on the deck.

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Great stand, Jesse! I love the weathered timber look. They remind me of a barn beam I have a post drill hanging on.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

Jesse what the tubing does is give you a crucial outline. On a ship the tree nail woul be covered with a plug to cover it. The plug woul lay with the grain of the plank..

David B

Planking came out nice Jesse.  I noticed one thing in the second picture you might want to check.  From the picture it appears that the stem knee isn't tapered as described in chapter one.  It needs to be tapered to fit the figurehead. 

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

I have tapered it- maybe it needs to be done some more?

Some how I missed a crack in the transom. It showed up when I sanded it. My 1st idea was to file a wedge where the line is & glue a piece of wood in the wedge. When I sanded it now 2 lines showed. I had some thin planks left from other builds so I decided to plank over the transom. It worked well. The bad place at the top is ok because it will be covered by another piece of wood later. (the last 2 photos keep loading in reverse order)

post-6826-0-04328300-1438648603_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-42088500-1438648630_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-78065700-1438648668_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-43334200-1438648701_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-67457600-1438648728_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-96945100-1438648759_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-98187300-1438649007_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the discovery of a hidden crack Jesse, but it seems like you've found an acceptable fix that should look nice.  I was thinking maybe some home-made wood filler, from some really fine sanding dust and stainable PVA, may have worked as well. 

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for all the kind words & all the likes. This is a great group of people here at MSW!

The instructions say to add the extra layers of wales & sheer strakes earlier & paint them afterwards. I pre-painted mine because I knew I would make a mess of it trying to keep a good straight line between the painted area & the stained area. Rigged up a simple jig to mark the waterline & painted all the areas that are black. I did use some wood filler on the hull planking to fill in some minor dips & cracks that will be covered with the copper plating.

post-6826-0-58008000-1438714017_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-21191100-1438714057_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-27211800-1438714086_thumb.jpg

Edited by JesseLee

Great idea for a pencil holder to mark the waterline.  I will have to remember and use your method in the future.  I had just relied on stacks of books; testing until I had the correct elevation.  Your invention is much more elegant!

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana

Thanks Gary. The hard part is getting the hole the right height. It took several tries & more than one old spice container before I got it right.

I usually use a tomato can.  But your results are equally good  :D

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Keith, I wondered about that but the kit instructions show it straight so I went along with it, still wondering........

Just catching up again. I really like the timber base. If you are going to make more trenails, a very cool trick I learned from JPett is to chuck a toothpick in your Dremel and run it through progressively smaller holes in a draw plate. This is really fast and you can get really long super tiny dowels. You won't have to taper each one on sandpaper.

Really nice work you've done lately!

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Nice job on the wales Jesse.  I like the waterline marker too,  I was thinking you might be able to use the container upside down so you can make some adjustments to the height by unscrewing the lid, then tape the lid in place so it doesn't rotate any further.  Just a thought.

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

getting caught up Jesse...........very nice progress!   the hull planking looks very nice!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for all the likes & comments.

Sal, I looked at the stem knee. I had started tapering it late one night. The next day I thought I had finished but had not. Thanks for catching that for me.

Edited by JesseLee

Planked inboard stern

post-6826-0-40099200-1438994294_thumb.jpg