Eendracht 1666 by moha81 - scale 1:38, reconstruction

Hello guys, 

After a big skip I returned to ship modeling and I continue the drawing and building the 1666 Eendracht, the last flagship of admiral de Ruyter. With my friend we built some machines and soon I'm going to have the plan of the hull.

Cheers,

Gyula

Hello Gyula,

It's great you are building the Dutch flagship Eendracht (Eendragt).

But I want to ask you something if I may. What is your source or reference to draw the plans to build this ship?

On The VOC site I couldn't find the Eendracht from 1666. As far as I know the Eendracht exploded during a battle with the Royal Charles in the Battle of Lowestoft on June 13, 1665. The explosion killed the admiral and all but 5 of the crew.

I wish you good luck building the Eendracht. I will follow your build with great interest.

Happy modeling and take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Hi all,

Thanks for the wishes. Anja, a lot of ships named Eendracht existed, this one is the sister of the Zeven Provincien from 1666. Concerning the dimensions, it is quite similar to the 7P, it is 160 feet long 42.5 feet wide (for the 7P the corresponding dimensions are 165 and 43 feet, respectively). According to these, I can use several sources:

- original contract of the Zeven Provincien

- G. C. Dik: De Zeven Provincien

- the line drawings of the Zeven Provincien by Cor Emke

- Werner Bruns: Geschichte und Rekonstruktion der Eendracht von 1654, Das Logbuch, 2005-2006 (two parts, this is about the former Eendracht)

- drawings of Willem van de Velde (from the NMM Greenwich)

- Cornelis van Yk: De Nederlandsche scheepsbouw-konst open Gestelt, originally published in 1697 (I have the facsimile edition No. 26)

- Kroum Nocolaev Batchvarov: The framing of seventeeth-century man-of-war in England an other northern european countries (master of arts thesis, Texas A&M University, 2002)

Other resources, which discuss mainly the northerd dutch building style:

- Nicolaes Witsen: Aeloude en hedendaegsche scheepsbouw en bestier (1671)

- Herman Ketting: Prins Willem (Hinstorff Verlag, 1979)
- Heinrich Winter: Der holländische Zweidecker von 1660/1670 (Hinstorff Verlag, 1978)

- A. J. Hoving: A Pinasship of 134 feet, published in The Model Shipwright No. 60 (1987)

Maybe some other things that help me to compare and consider the dimensions. There were a lot of informations and a long discussion about the ship with Jan and Amazone before the former site disappeared :(

Cheers,

Gyula 

Edited by moha81

wow and  in shaal 1:38  thats  e uge ship  119 cm long  over the stevens.

i which you al the best whit the build  and wil come see how you evolv  in the building proses   

Hello amazone, 

good to hear from You. I could download the drawings from the book of Dik and it helps a looooot in identifying old dutch expressions. So far it will be really helpful, and thank You again for your help. I'm drawing the waterlines now from the drawings of Emke and Dik, and they serve perfectly. I had to re-draw and re-make the Rondsomhouten, but now it is fine. Pictures coming soon...

Thanks for the link Wim. Strange thought that the VOC site doesn't mention it.

Sorry Gyula, we let you get on with your plans now.

Take care,

Anja

That's not strange: the Eendracht 1666 was not owned by the VOC, but was a ship of the admirality (like e.g. the Zeven Provincien was.)

Up till 1650 many of the war ships were adapted merchant ships owned by the VOC, and rented out to the navy...

Jan

Hi Gyula,

I see in your picture of the frames the quarter circle in the lower ricgt corner. Van Yk also shows these little circles.

But what I don't understand: what diameter is used for these little circles?

Second remark: your gunports in the stern seems to be placed quite high under the 'heckbalk'. Will the gunports lids fit under the transom?

btw do you know this link: http://www.otteblom.nl/

It's in Dutch, but you will certainly understand the drawings :)

Jan

Edited by amateur

hi moha  i probely gonne start building  the utrecht somwere begin april, i did most  of the plans alraydy  ( on paper) bicos i dond know how the  use e  drawing program .

first i wantet the do the eendracht aswel  but i chose fore  e diferend ship 145 foot . 

the gunport seems ok i think the lids can be atats  on the hekbalk ( i gonne chek that )

Hi Gyula,

I see in your picture of the frames the quarter circle in the lower ricgt corner. Van Yk also shows these little circles.

But what I don't understand: what diameter is used for these little circles?

Second remark: your gunports in the stern seems to be placed quite high under the 'heckbalk'. Will the gunports lids fit under the transom?

btw do you know this link: http://www.otteblom.nl/

It's in Dutch, but you will certainly understand the drawings :)

Jan

hi moha  i probely gonne start building  the utrecht somwere begin april, i did most  of the plans alraydy  ( on paper) bicos i dond know how the  use e  drawing program .

first i wantet the do the eendracht aswel  but i chose fore  e diferend ship 145 foot . 

the gunport seems ok i think the lids can be atats  on the hekbalk ( i gonne chek that )

Hi,

I hope You remember that we had long-long discussions before on the dimensions. Unfortunately, I did not made a copy of those, so they are lost... :(. Jan, the radius of the little quarter circle together with other lengths denoted by little green lines in the drawing were taken from one of the examples of Yk's book, scaled to the present width and height of the ship. I don't remember the exact location in the book, but I did a lot of drawings before, if You can remember. The dimensions of the gunports were taken also from the book of Yk, page 61 and 65: they were chosen to be square-shaped WITH the rabbet of the transom, so the "holes" are a little bit wider than high. The lids're going to lay on the lower rabbet of the transom, while the upper rabbet establish a place for mounting the hinges and opening the lids. This is quite similar to the solution can be seen on the 7P replica. 

Here are some new pictures of the 'Rondsomhouten' and the 'Wrangens'. I'm done with the half of the rounded wood, I did it by hand with a sharp knife. Now it can be seen the difference between a usual, simplified planar mirror and this one. Do not pay attention to the blue lines drown on the lower part of the rounded wood, those are just signs for where I should not go with the knife.

post-1785-0-86057600-1362936883_thumb.jpg

post-1785-0-12495800-1362936893_thumb.jpg

post-1785-0-63020800-1362936900_thumb.jpg

post-1785-0-90360600-1362936907_thumb.jpg

post-1785-0-14064500-1362936915_thumb.jpg

Nice carving work.  And with out using any power tools either.  Impressive.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice carving work.  And with out using any power tools either.  Impressive.

Thanks. "By hand" I meant that first I used power tools to cut and sand the rough shape of the parts. Then I carved the ends of the beams to fit into the rounded wood and then also carved the rounded wood to the correct shape. I use power tools when it is possible and reasonable, but there are two things: The flat we rent is really small (something like 49 square meters and I have 3 small kids :) ) so it is not possible to store and work with power tools making large noise and dust. I can do those jobs in my friend's workshop in another town... what I can do at home is final hand carvings, sawing and sanding, fitting and gluing the parts together, and, naturally, drawing the plans. And, moreover, in some cases (especially as making curved surfaces) I trust more in my hands than a power tool, so I rather take my time.

Edited by moha81

Thanks for anmswering.

Yes, I know the pictures by Van Yk.

I was wondering whether or not you found anything written on the dimensions and scale of the lines and circles in these pictures.

But apparently: no rules given by Van Yk.

Jan

Thanks for anmswering.

Yes, I know the pictures by Van Yk.

I was wondering whether or not you found anything written on the dimensions and scale of the lines and circles in these pictures.

But apparently: no rules given by Van Yk.

Jan

Yes, yes, there are no rules, just 1-2 examples. I know that it is somewhat artificial, so I tried to use Emke's drawing as a "guide to the eye".

Hello Gyula,

I came a little late to this log, but want to mention that I was also playing with the thought to build the former Eendracht (1653), but decided to go with my second choice - De Zeven Provincien (1665) since there were many people did (still doing) a lot of research on this ship before. I still am having a lot to do on my 7P with checking what could be right - and will never be 100% right I know.

... However, how lucky I would be to see these 17th century ships being well documented and built.

I wish you a lot of luck and patience with coming as close as possible to the ship you have chosen to present. I admire the Artitec with their diorama. They made so many of these ships in quite nice representation - although not of wood, but it looks great indeed.

I personally do not stick too much on Dik, Winter and specially not on Ketting, except for some details. Dik should had done a good job on rigging I heard. The lines by Cor Emke are definitely a good starting point. Also the knowledge by Ab Hoving represented in his books is very fundamental.

I will follow your progress with interest.

All the best

Dražen

There are no boundaries...

… besides those we set for ourselves.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Gyula,

I came a little late to this log, but want to mention that I was also playing with the thought to build the former Eendracht (1653), but decided to go with my second choice - De Zeven Provincien (1665) since there were many people did (still doing) a lot of research on this ship before. I still am having a lot to do on my 7P with checking what could be right - and will never be 100% right I know.

... However, how lucky I would be to see these 17th century ships being well documented and built.

I wish you a lot of luck and patience with coming as close as possible to the ship you have chosen to present. I admire the Artitec with their diorama. They made so many of these ships in quite nice representation - although not of wood, but it looks great indeed.

I personally do not stick too much on Dik, Winter and specially not on Ketting, except for some details. Dik should had done a good job on rigging I heard. The lines by Cor Emke are definitely a good starting point. Also the knowledge by Ab Hoving represented in his books is very fundamental.

I will follow your progress with interest.

All the best

Dražen

Hello Drazen, I also follow your log, I'm really interested in! Thank for the wishes. Anyway, sorry for not writing so frequently and not answering right on time, but I have bunch of other things to do I'm always searching for the possibility how to steal a little bit of time. I wish all the best for You too.

Hello Drazen, I also follow your log, I'm really interested in! Thank for the wishes. Anyway, sorry for not writing so frequently and not answering right on time, but I have bunch of other things to do I'm always searching for the possibility how to steal a little bit of time. I wish all the best for You too.

I know this feeling - being boss of my own company (innovation management), making De Zeven Provincien, new high end Dynaudio loudspeaker boxes, bow for shooting, sports, and many other things :huh:

... at least, I feel no boring

Dražen

There are no boundaries...

… besides those we set for ourselves.

The scale is 1:38, so the transom is 22.5 cm wide :). The dark wood is walnut, I'm going to use it basically for planking above the waterline. The light is hungarian ash, it will be used below the waterline. The inner structure and everything else is going to be made from pear, apple, cherry and plum. I like vary the woods and leave them in their original form. Many-many other woods exist besides pear, ebony and boxwood... and they are far more not as good as preferred, I think.

Hi all,

Some additional pictures. The keel is set. It thickens to the middle from the stem and the stern. Naturally the keel is not horizontal and also it has a really small curvature. That's why it was really tricky to form its 3 individual parts. Below the main deck I don't want to work out anything, so it is going to be a POB. Sorry for the bed, apparently it was the only place in the flat where this monster could take place. Usually it wastes time on the top of the bookshelf. So what I do not have at the moment is: place. I work on the plans at home, on the parts at the workshop of my friend, and I finalize and put the parts together at home again, on the dinner table... I can sand outside the flat on a really small entrance terrace, so on. But works, that's the point :)

Gyula

post-1785-0-63169000-1365107453_thumb.jpg

post-1785-0-07505600-1365107466_thumb.jpg

post-1785-0-58519500-1365107478_thumb.jpg

post-1785-0-75528900-1365107487_thumb.jpg

Hello Gyula,

Great to see you back on the forum and with a very beautiful ship too.

What you have been able to do so far is just outstanding.

I'm looking forward to more progress pics.

Cheers, 

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Gyula,

good to see you back. Impressive work!

Janos

Hello János,

It is also good to 'see' You again! I'm quite sad about the crash of the former page, especially as the long discussions about the plans, because I did not make a copy of those and some informations are just lost.