Royal William by luc - scale 1:72 - RADIO

After finishing the santisima trinidad (07/2013)

5grw.jpg

it was time for a new adventure.

HMS Royal William

er9pu3.jpg

From Wikipedia and buildlog of KeithW

HMS Prince was rebuilt by Robert Lee at Chatham Dockyard in 1692, and renamed at the same time as HMS Royal William. During the War of the Grand Alliance the ship saw action at the Battle of Barfleur of 19 May 1692. The Prince belonged to the red squadron and carried the flag of Rear Admiral of the Red Sir Cloudesley Shovell. She was the first ship to break the French line during the battle.

Later she was rebuilt for a second time by John Naish at Portsmouth Dockyard from 1714, relaunching on 3 September 1719. She was laid up after her re-launch and saw no service at all until she was reduced to an 84-gun Second rate ship in 1756. One year later, she was part of an unsuccessful expedition against Rochefort led by Admiral Sir Edward Hawke. Her squadron, under Vice-Admiral Charles Knowles, attacked the Île-d'Aix and forced her garrison to surrender. In 1758 she participated in Boscawen's and Wolfe's attack on the French Fortress of Louisbourg (Nova Scotia) and an indecisive skirmish with a French squadron. The following year the Royal William returned to Canada under the command of Captain Hugh Pigot to join the attack on Quebec. After the Battle of the Plains of Abraham and the capture of Quebec she sailed back to England with the body of General Wolfe. In 1760 the Royal William was Boscawen's flagship when he took command of the fleet in Quiberon Bay. However, after a severe gale he was forced to return and shift his flag to the Namur. During the expedition against Belle Île of 1761 she was detached with several other ships to cruise off Brest and prevent a French counter-attack from there.

The Seven Years' War seems to be the last time that the Royal William played an active role. She was broken up in 1813.

LINKS TO RESOURCES

Euromodel website
- Royal William Product Page
- Interpretive Information by PiratePete
- Royal William Resource Information

Build logs on MSW

- http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/7195-hms-royal-william-by-keithw-euromodel-172/  by KeithW

- Royal William by VinceP (Euromodel)
- Royal William by Brian C (Euromodel)
- Royal William by Denis Pink (Euromodel) 
- Royal William by Ersin Derebek (scratch) 
- Royal William by Kay (scratch) 

Other resources
- USNA model of Royal William
- Royal William by Victor Yankovitch, also alternative source.

From Wikipedia and buildlog of KeithW

I 'd seen Vic his Royal William on the forum Rcgroups, and the build was so wonderful that i knew that i must build this ship also.

After a dip in building boats over more then 1 year, i started the last month with the Royal William.

I used  plywood 10mm for the false keel and the frames.

1WZX6M.jpg

f8jgls.jpg

Behind the false keel was another boatbuild that failed. A swedisch privateer. Must remove the plans.

Looking forward to following this one. It will not be easy, building it at 1:72 AND making it R/C! Good luck!

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

A few photos of the work I did the past week('s).

Because my english is not very good, even bad, i post pictures instead of text.

the end result

3TGw1p.jpg

bow

oVJajv.jpg

Pn44rY.jpg

stern

BiPByi.jpg

Top (u see the holes for the frontmast and bowsprit) Everthing must be maked strong  for sailing and transport the ship)

5BUw79.jpg

My newst tool for copy hights from the plan onto the ship

81yCUC.jpg

Because i want to build this boat in swiss pear (from arkowood) .

It's now time to find out how much wood i need and wich dimensions.

I'm searching for a list of the wood that in the box of euromodel, but i can't find nothing.

Is there a link of these list ???

thx Luc

Edited by luc

ROYAL_William Resource Info from page 15 you can find component list what is incl. in the kit.

Hope this will help.

Simon

Current build:

Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston by Vanguard Models

Mercury by Victory Models - scale 1:64 - (99% scratchbuild) - on hold

Finished: Bluenose by Amati - scale 1:100

Nice progress. I am not sure if Swiss Pear is a good idea if you are planning to make her R/C. Swiss Pear marks very easily. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

KeithW :

The Santisima trinidad was painted with humbrol paint.

Now I want to really just plain wood.

Vic built his ship also with pear, therefore this choice.

What would you use ??

ps: the pear would by painted with G4 , a colorless varnish.

Pete:

Found you resourcefile a time ago. Becaus i build this ship Rc, my approce of the building is differnt.

My next step is the first planking and the rudder and to make everything rechabel and functionel. Once this is don, I need your resourcefile much more.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

G'day Luc

Great progress, looking forward to see more updates. All the best.

Havagooday from Australia

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

• 2 weeks later...

thank you Greg

the progress of the last month.

finishing the first planking and putting the lines on the hull so i can check of everything is still ok.

On my stern there is a different of a few millmeters. In the kit the frames are 6mm thick , i used +/- 9mm.

this give a mistake of 1.5mm, not much , but to much for the basic to build on.

iz4LsQ.jpg

Hm3Idg.jpg

A7VryN.jpg

xUYcY8.jpg

rbxHzo.jpg

• The title was changed to Royal William by luc - scale 1:72 - RADIO