HM Cutter Cheerful 1806 by Stuntflyer (Mike) - FINISHED - 1:48 scale

Thank you all for the comments and "Likes". . .

It certainly has been an interesting journey so far. Shrouds are coming soon. Speaking of which, I'm not clear on what "turning in" means exactly. I searched and found only limited information. Does anyone have something more descriptive? It would be greatly appreciated and hopefully helpful to others as well.

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

'Turning in' refers to wrapping the shroud around the deadeye and making the throat seizing to hold it in place before adding the middle and end seizings.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Mike,

your "Cheerful" is a real treat for the eye !!!

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Mike a beautiful job on the throat halliard.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Best wishes to everyone for a Healthy and Happy New Year!

The Cheerful plans show 5.5mm deadeyes for the chainplates and shrouds. My eyes must have been playing tricks on me when I first measured them at 5mm. Now that I am trying to install the shrouds, I can see that they are too small and somewhat hard to work with. Chuck has suggested that I could replace them with 6mm ones that would be easier to rig. That's what I'm in the process of doing now. Hey! It doesn't get more exciting than this.  ;)

A while back when I was finishing up the paint work on the wales, I had decided not to paint and weather the chainplates. Something told me to hold off a bit or maybe I was just being lazy. Now that I'm scratching them up, I'm glad I waited.

With the first 6mm deadeye installed you can easily see the size difference.

post-8351-0-77667800-1483140718_thumb.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

I just had to check to see which size deadeyes I bought from Chuck.  6mm.  Annnnnnd, since I'm in full on planking mode, I have to say I admire this plank joint.  It doesn't get any better than that!

post-20029-0-79413000-1483155805_thumb.jpg

Erik

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

I managed to complete the shrouds today.  "Turning in" the deadeyes required a few do overs and a test of my patience. The lanyards are not secured. I like to go back and look at things when my mind is fresh before committing. Next, I want to clean up the chainplates which is something I try not to look at since right now they look like c***.

post-8351-0-11167300-1484686867_thumb.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

The deadeyes and lanyards look good. Nice work. Final tensioning later is a good idea. Things are likely to move around a bit between now and then.

Russ

Very impressive Mike.

Maury

Coming along nicely. I found turning in deadeyes consistently easier off-model. First I mark them while in position, then remove them to turn in the deadeyes, then replace them. However, looks like you nailed them anyway!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

• 2 weeks later...

Russ: I tend to agree with you. Things are moving around a bit, as you say. I'm going to wait until after the lower backstays and mainstay are completed before I start to tighten things up.

Druxey: Chuck's method does seem to work nicely once one gets the hang of it. Like everything here there is some learning to do. Next time I would like to try your method as I'm sure you have worked out all of the kinks.

Mike

Thank you all for the kind words, comments and "Likes".

After a week off vacationing, I'm finally getting around to building again. I finished the lower backstay and tackle today. Next up is the sling and then the mainstay. After that I'm going to clean up some of the scratched paint work. At least that's the plan.

post-8351-0-65540700-1486437495_thumb.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

I read the whole of Chucks Cheerful thread, and thought to myself that no mere mortal could ever replicate that.

You sir, are no mere mortal.

I have to agree with this. You have the cleanest build following Chuck. I know when Erik catches up with you his will be clean as well.

Steve

Edited by Tigersteve

Dharma66, Steve,

Chuck's build is definitely a hard act to follow. I'm amazed at just how much there is to know to even approach what he does so well. He is definitely a good man to have around.  :)

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

The sling is now completed. It is made from Chuck's .035 Dark Brown rope and served its entire length with 50wt thread. Adding the thimble and seizing it was straight forward. The rope length was measured so the bottom of the hook falls about 3/16" below the gaff. A small eye was seized to one end of the rope, while being careful to maintain the proper rope length. This was all done off the ship. After feeding the sling around the mast, the remaining end was inserted through the eye and the last intertwined eye was made when the sling was in position. Seizing the last eye proved to be quite tricky. The sling is short, so holding onto it while seizing the eye proved to be awkward. It took several tries before I managed to do it.

post-8351-0-47921300-1486488747_thumb.jpg

Mike

excellent work Mike,

its all so acurate and clean....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Always a pleasure to see updates from your work Mike!

It looks excellent and as Nils says,acurate and clean..

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)

Mike:

The rigging at the mast looks wonderful. If you had any trouble with the eye on that sling, it is well hidden. Very shipshape.

Russ