HM Cutter Cheerful 1806 by Stuntflyer (Mike) - FINISHED - 1:48 scale

Welcome to my build of Chuck's HM Cutter Cheerful. Most of the parts will be scratch built. Others like the false keel, windlass, rigging material and blocks will be purchased directly from Chuck. The wood for this project (all sheet stock) was purchased from Jason at Crown Timberyard. The quality of his wood is excellent and I am looking forward to working with it. As with my other builds, there will be many new things to learn and I will rely heavily on the knowledge base from MSW to help guide me through the process. So please don't hesitate to post your comments along the way. Thanks!.

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

The two halves of the false keel are joined using 1 hour epoxy.  A 1/8” x 1/16 rabbet strip is glued along center of the false keels edge. The false keel has been tapered from the bearding line to the rabbet strip.

post-8351-0-55737600-1430789043_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stuntflyer

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

The completed stem post and keel assembly is now glued to the false keel. I used a # 4b pencil to darken the seams. Treenailing was done using Chuck's method as described in chapter one of his Cheerful practicum. Once completed, the stem post and keel were given a coat of Wipe-on-Poly. The WOP was buffed immediately in order to prevent a gloss finish.

post-8351-0-54178800-1431030207_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stuntflyer

That looks quite good  :)  I would keep some blue painters tape on the bottom of the keel to protect it from getting nicked and scratched once the bulkheads are in position.

I completed all of the bulkhead and filler pieces today using PVA glue. Only one false keel slot had to be adjusted to allow for a 90° bulkhead fit. All of the laser cut bulkheads had just the right amount of slot clearance and no additional work was necessary. Very impressive since the false keel was .230" thick and the bulkheads slots had to be adjusted for this when the laser cutting was done, I think. The 3 piece port fillers call for an overall thickness of 3/4" so I added a 1/16" soft ply filler piece to make up the difference.

post-8351-0-48045000-1431376017_thumb.jpg

post-8351-0-94789100-1431374535_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stuntflyer

Thats looking very good.  And yes.  I made all of the needed adjustments so the bulkheads would fit together nicely.   Its looking just as it should at this stage.

Chuck

After almost three days work the hull fairing is completed. The temporary battens run smoothly with no dips or rises and fall nicely into the stempost. Viewed from above they appear to have a symmetrical run from bow to stern.

post-8351-0-86112300-1431638055_thumb.jpg

post-8351-0-70953800-1431638064_thumb.jpg

post-8351-0-06755600-1431638073_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stuntflyer

Jay,

I made 4 sanding blocks with different curves since the hull shape is not constant. Mine were made from some medium hard balsa. The ones for the bow and stern areas are shorter and span 3 bulkheads. The others, like those for sanding amidships, are longer and span 4-5 bulkheads. I think that using curved blocks will give you a more gradual shape from one bulkhead to another.

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Mike, thanks for sharing your approach for fairing your hull! I was thinking the same about curved blocks working better, but I wasn't thinking of using 4. What you said about using 4 blocks makes great sense, and I'll use at least 4 when I get to that step of the build--again, thanks for the tip! Am just starting on tapering to the bearding line.

Cheers,

Jay

Current Build:

The port sills, port uprights and chase ports are now finished. I opened up the chase ports by 1/32" on each side so I could line them with 1/32" boxwood strip. I wanted to have a clean look and knew that this would achieve that. This should make it a lot easier to paint them when the time comes. With the final sanding of the sills and uprights completed I took another look at the hull fairing and did some more fine tuning. It seems like the more you look the more you find.

post-8351-0-92355300-1432046705_thumb.jpg

post-8351-0-30210700-1432046712_thumb.jpg

post-8351-0-70570600-1432046718_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stuntflyer

Using Chuck's bulkhead kit keeps everything lined up nicely.  I had quite a few adjustments to make by cutting them myself...particularly at the stern.  Looking good.

Maury

When first reading chapter two I kept wondering how this was all going to come together smoothly. It's interesting to see how Chuck has put this to work in such a logical way thus making the process much easier than it looks.

Rather than cutting the stern frames individually, each frame X, Y and Z were stacked together and cut as one piece. Each of the two outer frames ZZ were stacked three together. A tiny amount of PVA was used to hold the parts together while cutting them with the jigsaw. I used Elmer's Washable School Glue to adhere the drawings to the parts. The disc sander and oscillating drum sander cleaned things up nicely afterwards. Given the accuracy of Jason's boxwood sheets and Chuck's laser cutting the fitting of the stern frames was a breeze with no sanding necessary. Frames ZZ were faired as Chuck describes in his practicum.

post-8351-0-59045400-1432318380_thumb.jpg

Though apparently simple, I found that the two stern ports were very challenging to make. They are awkward to hold and care must be taken while making adjustments to the angles. They should be positioned parallel to the waterline.

post-8351-0-85950400-1432318390_thumb.jpg

The square tuck piece was then added along with the filler pieces glued behind it. The photo shows the port side after being faired. A lot of material had to be removed in order to get a batten to run smoothly over the hull.

post-8351-0-50283500-1432320465_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stuntflyer

Chuck,

What would be a good color for the red paint? I have tried Winsor and Newton and they seem to work well. I see that you used Crimson on the Winchelsea

Edited by Stuntflyer

Thats what I use...I use Crimson right from the tube usually but sometimes I will add some raw sienna to tone it down on the brown side a bit.

Chuck

Personally, I am a 'red snob'.  I seldom like the red most people use...too bright in my opinion.  I like the barn red or caboose red type color for internal bulwarks and appropriate deck furniture. 

I am currently experimenting with artist acrylics.  Using "Windsor and Newton Galleria" paint, I mixed a large gob of crimson red and a wee dot of Mars Black...and alot of water.  I am going for the consistency of olive oil for right now.  I think I have the color I want.

The secret (if, in fact, this works) is to start off with the gob or red and add VERY LITTLE dots of black until you get what you want...or what I want.

Now, I will do a test paint to see what it looks like dry, on wood. 

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Before moving too far into chapter three, here is a photo showing the final sanding of the square tuck

post-8351-0-29311100-1432510127_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stuntflyer

I was able to complete the port painting after applying about 15 thinned coats of red over a dark pink base. The temporary battens marking the bottom edge of the wales were pinned evenly on both sides of the hull. For the most part the batten runs matched the reference lines along the bulkheads very closely.

post-8351-0-25975600-1432568211_thumb.jpg

post-8351-0-11951800-1432568223_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stuntflyer

I'm now onto the hull planking starting with the first of the two wale layers. I made sure that each plank fit nicely into the stem to avoid as much sanding as possible. I don't have the clamp and glue technique sorted out yet so I just worked my way aft by hand and glued two or three bulkheads at a time. Although the wale location was previously marked, I did make some tiny adjustments as I went along. This was especially true where I had to ensure that both wales end up at the same location where the break of the counter and square tuck meet.

post-8351-0-05853900-1432774651_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stuntflyer

Really nice progress, Mike

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

• 2 weeks later...

Planking above the wales has proven to be a rather time consuming process as a lot of time was spent getting a good fit between the gun ports. At one point I realized that I had the wrong curve, aft of the last gun port, which required a more upward sweep. Rather than replacing the whole plank I just added a filler piece after the curve was corrected. The filler piece is small and will eventually be covered by the fashion piece.

Photo showing one side completed above the wales and the small filler piece at the stern.

post-8351-0-68914500-1433718362_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stuntflyer

Planking of the port side above the wales is now completed. Both sides have had an initial sanding with 180 grit.

post-8351-0-56510300-1434076495_thumb.jpg

In preparation for the stern planking the outside stern frames were thinned to 1/16" in thickness. I'm looking forward to getting started on the planking so I can tighten up this area which is still somewhat fragile.

post-8351-0-24492300-1434078269.jpg

Edited by Stuntflyer

• 2 weeks later...