HM Cutter Cheerful 1806 by Stuntflyer (Mike) - FINISHED - 1:48 scale

Thank you all for the kind words and "Likes".

Ryland, it was great seeing you at the Naval Academy while we checked out the Rogers Collection. If you are ever in the area, we usually have our club meetings the last Tuesday of the month.

Erik, I will get those additional photos posted next week sometime.

Mike, I'm still trying to figure out the display case and stand. As soon as I have something, I will post it.

Mike

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Michael, I had a lot of fun building her and Chuck's laser kits for the ship are great.

Mike

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, Kurt! 

I'm still thinking about it and should have something worked out soon.

Mike

• 4 months later...
On 6/29/2017 at 11:31 AM, Erik W said:

Any chance you'll do a photo shoot of the finished build and post more photos? :)

Erik,

Sorry or the late reply. I did manage to take a few shots today. However, the new site pushes a reddish/pink hue on all of my photos. ;). I wonder if anyone else has the same issue.

I really need to get started on the stand and case. If I don't, the dust will take over and eventually hide the ship completely.

_DSC8159.thumb.jpg.732bab320c87a8122e9463d120ac8535.jpg_DSC8160.thumb.jpg.a5f5058fdb57592e77a547e3d4ae8232.jpg_DSC8169.thumb.jpg.df3527fa2c6848d9ed6f2407c3b93f70.jpg_DSC8171.thumb.jpg.5d054f5c09ecd9dd42e6f3281cf5ee2c.jpg_DSC8172.thumb.jpg.776256e010280cfce372fafc3266943c.jpg_DSC8174.thumb.jpg.903dce44aabae61a080a443ecaa10c5e.jpg_DSC8175.thumb.jpg.c6d87a346357514739c560a0bcd4ba3f.jpg_DSC8176.thumb.jpg.f546d6f04be73e37ba90b48ba8d0af62.jpg_DSC8177.thumb.jpg.5b6e4ab2abb0113670bfd50e6619ecfe.jpg

_DSC8170.jpg

_DSC8173.jpg

_DSC8168.jpg

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Thanks, Greg!

So, I just re-calibrated my monitor after a year of not doing so. The colors are not perfect, but definitely looking better.

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Very impressive Mike.  I love how clean and precise everything is.  And your photography is an additional bonus - awsome stuff.  Your always raising the bar and continue to give us something to aspire to.  Cant wait to see your future work on the Winnie..... 

Steve 

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea 

Stunning work Mike !!

congratulations to this beautiful built cutter, an awesome piece shipwright art..., love it...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you Steve, druxey, Thomas, Nils and for all the "Likes" too!

The only thing left to do is to get her on a stand and in a case.

Mike

So very nice!

Maury

Mike,

Thanks for the additional photos!  You did a superb job on her . . . and set the bar high for the rest of us Cheerful builders!  The detail shots will be useful as a reference when I get farther into my build.

Erik

Erik, you're welcome and thank you!

I finally figured out what was causing the reddish/pink hue in the above photos. It was the overhead light bulbs I was using which were recently changed. I should have known that it was my doing. ;)

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Mike,

This is one heck of a fine mode, a real pleasure to studyl!!!

John

John

Member: Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

Current Builds: Tugboat Dorothy  Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #1 (complete)

Iron Clad Monitor (complete) 

Sardine Carrier which I will Name Mary Ann (complete)

Pilot Boat John H. Estill Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #12 (my avatar)

Harbor tug Susan Moran

Coast Guard 100' patrol boat

• 6 months later...

Joe,

I use a Nikon D5100 on a tripod. I chose this camera for its low price yet it has a really good 16 mega-pixel sensor. 

I only use prime lenses. Zoom lenses are okay, just not as sharp.

Closeup I use the Nikon AF-S Micro NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED Lens.

Further away I use the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens

Mike

• 1 year later...
On 5/15/2015 at 1:09 PM, Stuntflyer said:

I made 4 sanding blocks with different curves

I realize you completed this a long while ago, I'm just ordering Chuck's Cheerful, he noted yours was a good log to use for reference.  Do you have photos or can you explain what you did with different curved sanding blocks please?

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Inspiring.   Thanks for sharing this project with us.  Congrats. 

Glenn,

The balsa sanding blocks that I used on Cheerful when fairing the hull were of various shapes and sizes. I used sticky back sandpaper on all of them. Some have a more pronounced curve that are shorter in length for those areas near the stem. Others are longer with a shallow curve for sanding amidship. A block that allows you to fair across 3-4 bulkheads is what I would recommend. You can even use wide planking strips which are able to cover a broader area. Of course there are other ways of doing this other than mine. What's important is to take your time to get it to the point where you can run a batten over areas of the hull and see a smooth run without dips, etc. On my Cheerful the char was almost completely gone after fairing.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Glenn, maybe try these “Soft Sanders”? They look stiff yet flexible enough for a curved, undulating surface.... I think Mike used them on his Winnie also.  I’m going to get some for my next build.  I am thinking the green and purple ones in 5 and 8” sizes. BTW, are you going with boxwood or cedar for your cheerful?

https://www.shop.softsanders.com/Woodworking_c4.htm

Edited by ASAT

You might also have a look at beauty supply shops.   I get the disposable finger nail files (comes in assorted grits) and also the blocks that have a foam center.  I think the last time I bought the files, they were around $0.75 each.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Fairing is so much fun. I have a collection of various sanding tools, but I’m always looking for a better way. Thanks for the replies and the link.  I ordered the cedar version from Chuck yesterday. 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 1 year later...