HMS Diana by Shipyard sid - Caldercraft - 1/64 scale

Hello david...

I'm so happy to see that you're back in business.  I do have one worry though, are we going to be able to put up with your wit.  Just kidding, because I'm sure we all missed you very much.  The Diana deck is fabulous; it looks so good.  Having now built kits from various manufacturers I have definitely decided that from a a material and plans viewpoint nobody can beat Caldercraft. One gets what one pays for. So I'll be staying in touch and hope you do the same.  Regards from the admiral.  She said to tell you that we still are planing a trip one of these days to northwestern England.  Take care,

Best,

Jerry

Hello David, Diana is coming along well, I have the kit waiting in the wings. It appears Caldercraft weren't too fussy with the supplied wood in this kit, I have already replaced most of the Boomerang dowel and will check the planking timber when construction time comes.

I have sent you a PM re the Top & Butt planking jig.

Regards

Gary

This is looking very nice david,   lots of clean detail especially the deck joints.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Greetings all

Well I am enjoying this build now, after my long layoff, and things are going pretty well. I have completed all the work necessary on the gun deck for now, apart from fitting one broken off upright which needs sanding to the correct shape to follow the curve of the planking. And now I need to temporarily fit the top deck before starting the first planking. The bearding line will firstly need to be sorted, so to taper the rudder or not is the question. I am still not sure what to do. Could anybody tell me how many plan sheets I should have, as I have six, and thought there was one showing all framework assembly ( the bulkheads and stern fitting etc) which may of gone missing, so I do not have any picture of the complete assembly framework shown in the first photo. Anyway thanks a lot for viewing and all your comments, and here are a few photos of my progress. DAVID

post-96-0-99379800-1479479570_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-84672000-1479479586_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-93140400-1479479602_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-60835700-1479479618_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-93664500-1479479639_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-10075200-1479479660_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-69691400-1479479694_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-11247000-1479479717_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-68944000-1479479798_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-50878800-1479479816_thumb.jpg

6 sheets my friend. 6 sheets

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

6 sheets. keep up the great work

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Absolutly loving the deck planking - Super Work  clean neat and tidy :)

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Greetings all

Thanks for your comments and likes. Well I have got a bit more work done on the Diana, as it has not been worth venturing out at times with the bad weather we have had. The top deck is pinned in position and the rudder wil be tapered. As you can see I have already tapered the sternpost area, which we all know should have been sorted before any assembly work. The taper is slightly over 2mm at the base, and needs reducing at the top slightly, but I can easily sort that when I need to, at the planking stage, when I can tidy it up. I am about ready to start the first planking, but as you can see some of the bulkhead runs need be sorted which I will do as I go, just checking with strip which I find works for me. Well wish me luck, and I shall be back in a week or two or three. I have taken a few photos to give you an idea what the stern post taper is like, but it is very awkward to achieve a decent view, which could be with the lamination of the ply. Thanks a lot . Regards Davidpost-96-0-57672100-1479846090_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-86865400-1479846157_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-68879900-1479846299_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-84412600-1479846461_thumb.jpg

Looking good David.  Are you planning to plank right to the back of the keel former or cut a rabbet?

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Greeting all

And here we go with the first planking. As you can see I have planked down four strips and now started letting the strips run in a natural curve, with the strip running easily and flat on the bulkheads with no pressure. You can see what happens at the bow when you add the third and fourth strip, the strip is being twisted into place leaving gaps between the strips, and the strip is also not landed flat on the bulkhead leaving gaps between the bulkhead and the strip. So we now need to add stealers later. I bet none of you chaps have ever twisted any planks into position. Anyway, it's going good, with the first plank pretty level with the top deck, although it isn't on the photos as the deck has been loosened off a few times. So this is were I am at the moment. Jason I don't know what I am going to do at the keel yet. Any way thanks for all your likes and comments, here are a few photos Regards DAVID

post-96-0-05671600-1480462596_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-58825100-1480462676_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-95354200-1480462716_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-28624400-1480462752_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-22690300-1480462801_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-75735000-1480462816_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi David,

I'm no ICT expert but ......

I'm sure it's possible - try moving the 'flashing' cursor to the bottom right hand corner of a picture and then tap the 'return' key a couple of times to add a few line spaces. You should then be able to type in your comments there.

Hope I'm not guilty of teaching you to 'suck eggs' (!) but I tend to write my text first as a word document leaving gaps for the pictures , cut and paste this into the 'reply' box and then upload the pictures into these spaces.

I still struggle with the frustrations these clever tech tools throw up at me at times - and I take my hat off to those clever devils who manage to annotate their pictures with arrows, coloured text etc. 

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Graham

• 2 weeks later...

Greeting all

I am about to cut out the 28  16mm x 14mm gun ports, after finishing the first planking. I have this  fluted burr which isn't to bad, but would welcome advice on a decent product you may have used and would  recommend. I am cutting through a double wall which will be  7mm, so the longer the cutting edge the better. Regards .DAVID

IMG_0196.JPG

hi david,

i used a 1mm drill bit. made lots of holes and then used mini files to finish the job.  took time but in the end i felt it was worth it. your deck is great. thank you for sharing the deck jigs.

all the best

mort

I do like your planking very much. Your hull planking is coming along great.  Good work 

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

hi david 

forgot to mention i put painters tape around the gun ports before filing

mort

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Greetings  All

I have taken my Diana out of storage, and decided to continue my build after approx three years.  I tell a lie !!!!!.   All I hear from friends is. “ Where’s that Diana ?”   “ That Ship should have been finished by now” or “It’s about time you started building that ship again” or words to that effect. So I have given in to all the earache I get. As I said I have today got my self ready to continue. I had reached the stage of cutting out the gunports after finishing the first  planking. The ports are roughly cut out on the starboard side, and I intend to line them next, and then start on the Port side.  Unfortunately I cannot locate the two instruction books which I know are in the house somewher,  but I do have  all the plans to hand. What I need to know is the gunport sizes which I think are 14mm x17mm  and if the four gunports with lids ( three at the stern, and one at the bow) are the same size.  I also need to know the strip size I should be using for the linings.  Thanks to you all in advance for your help. DAVID.

25A3A6C6-6B5D-490A-B1C5-BF647B430F61.jpeg

3AD0BADB-51AA-4B94-8383-3AC5D8874F7B.jpeg

62BD67C8-E5FE-4381-8E62-778C9B430DBA.jpeg

FE32D95B-C930-4AF6-9DCF-4139C664B3E2.jpeg

Hi David,

Picks up instruction manual blowing an inch of dust off the top 🙂  I seem to recall that I ordered some wider strip because 1x6mm did not seem large enough....I also seem to recall this was probably the last time I looked at the instructions because they are really not that helpful.  For what its worth, the instructions say the following...

"Gun port dimensions should be 16mm long, 14mm wide and 30mm apart (note:  although I disagreed with the latter dimension as per my log...)

Gunport without lids can be framed using 1x6mm walnut strip.  Cut to length and glue the vertical sides first, followed by the top and bottom frames.  When complete, sand the outer edges flush with sides of hull.

The gunports with lids are framed after the application of the second planking."

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hi David,   so good to see you back on the build.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

welcome home you were missed.

mort

Edited by mort stoll

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:56 PM, Shipyard sid said:

Greetings  All

I have taken my Diana out of storage, and decided to continue my build after approx three years.  I tell a lie !!!!!.   All I hear from friends is. “ Where’s that Diana ?”   “ That Ship should have been finished by now” or “It’s about time you started building that ship again” or words to that effect. So I have given in to all the earache I get. As I said I have today got my self ready to continue. I had reached the stage of cutting out the gunports after finishing the first  planking. The ports are roughly cut out on the starboard side, and I intend to line them next, and then start on the Port side.  Unfortunately I cannot locate the two instruction books which I know are in the house somewher,  but I do have  all the plans to hand. What I need to know is the gunport sizes which I think are 14mm x17mm  and if the four gunports with lids ( three at the stern, and one at the bow) are the same size.  I also need to know the strip size I should be using for the linings.  Thanks to you all in advance for your help. DAVID.

25A3A6C6-6B5D-490A-B1C5-BF647B430F61.jpeg

3AD0BADB-51AA-4B94-8383-3AC5D8874F7B.jpeg

62BD67C8-E5FE-4381-8E62-778C9B430DBA.jpeg

FE32D95B-C930-4AF6-9DCF-4139C664B3E2.jpeg

Welcome back Sid. Its a coincidence that after stopping a couple of years ago I have just restarted with a new build.

Glenn (UK)

• 2 weeks later...

Sid good afternoon, the Dianna will be my next build, after The Vic is completed, LOL i will still be a long way behind you, but will learn from your progress

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Greetings all

Well I will be more than glad when I have all these gunports cut out and lined. I have only lined 12 of the starboard side. The strip is very brittle and the edges break away at times, and some of my work is more than poor, so it shall not be seen !!!.  So I now need to know the size of the second planking strip which will hide the edges of to aforesaid gun ports. Looking at the plans it could be  277 but as I have not located my manuals I do not know what 277 is.  BTW Jason is absolutely correct, the 6mm wide walnut strip is not wide enough to line the gunports. Regards . DAVID

41D245C8-C735-486E-B05E-32108FBFF731.jpeg

Hello Kevin 

I was just preparing my script when I heard your mail ping in. It will be your own fault if you follow me when you start building your Diana , so don’t blame me !!

Sometimes I wish I had never clapped my eyes on it, and took up Stamp collecting.

But don’t let me put you off .     Best regards DAVID

9 minutes ago, Shipyard sid said:

“ Find it Collingwood !!  And no you can’t email Cornwall model boats for one, we are two hundred and and thirteen years to early !!! And don’t even think about joining model ship world with this lump of junk “ !!  

CC93CE9C-5C3C-42F7-B255-B48234740F6C.jpeg

"Hey"!   that could have been me in my early days......

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Greetings all

Well the starboard side gunport ports have all been lined in some sort of fashion as you can see, which I find a very disappointing standard, when I compare my work from a few years back. I think thing should be ok when I fit the second planking, so I shall now ignore the instructions and plank down to the wale as I cannot see any reason why not, and try to make the ports and run of the planking look some thing like decent. It is obvious this  visible area of the hull is the most important. So here we go with a bit of planking, wish me luck. Thanks a lot for all your likes .

regards . DAVID

1FD9D604-4483-41BE-B3BF-E31EA5052A0B.jpeg

D9DACE82-E5CA-4217-BA47-D90DB7C3D42C.jpeg

AC52AB73-8A1D-465B-9671-987A5E9679C9.jpeg

E4714A58-F261-4FB9-BD9B-985D9DDF517D.jpeg

Coming along very nicely david.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Hi David

Looks good to me :)You may want to consider getting a coat of paint on the gunpoint linings before you put the second planking round them... they're tricky enough to paint without having to avoid the final outer hull finish at the same time. My boat ended up looking like a toddler who'd got hold of some lipstick around this point... I'm sure you'll do a great job and it will look really smart as you get the next skin on.

36169400172_c7b1d8e6b3_z.jpg.2e2eb1e3bc0d20b2540f40c4c005dd8d.jpg

All the best

Rob