JustBlowingInTheWind

Who is your favorite musician or band?

Favorite musician = Eric Clapton! Close second, Mark Knopfler from Dire Straights. His new stuff is great! Like a mix of folk, rock, a little country, and even a couple waltz'.

Favorite band = Pink Floyd with Supertramp a close second. Not the commercial Supertramp, check out Cannonball Run.

Favorite song? Depends on the day. Probably My Fathers Eyes or Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton. When my Dad died I played those 2 songs over and over for the 8 straight hours I cried.

I'd say that the Music you like is pretty much up my street too. Supertramp was the first band I saw live, must have been 1980 or so - it was the same tour they recorded "Paris". In 1986 I followed a Genesis tour of Germany, saw every show here I think it was the "Invisible Touch" tour but I also saw them on their "Duke" and "Mama" tours before then. I saw Queen five-times live, the last time was in 1984. I've quitened down a bit now since but now that the big bands are not around anymore I take my children to see cover-bands like Brit-Floyd and Musical-Box (Genesis-cover band). My eldest son complained recently that he wasn't around thirty years ago when we got to see all the great bands. The modern bands I listen to are Pearl Jam, Oasis  and Franz Ferdinand. I regret never seeing Oasis live but we never know what the future will bring. It is interesting that my children listen to Music by musicians that are even older than their dad! To think about it: Kate Bush's "Hounds of Love" and Peter Gabriel's "So" were released within a year! Geez! were we spoilt back then! My youngest son is seven and he loves Pink Floyd!

Peter

Edited by Mr. Hollom
GLakie and Jolley Roger like this

Supertramp also happens to be the first band I saw live as well, and also on their 1979 'Breakfast in America' tour.  I saw them in Bremen.  Supertramp, Genesis, Alan Parsons Project, and The Police were my favorite bands during my formative years.  Guitarist Phil Keaggy is my favorite individual musician.  The original question is kind of tricky, because 'favorite' depends on what genre we are talking about.  I also have a weakness for Ralph Vaughan Williams (classical), Solas (Irish traditional), and Seawind (jazz fusion).

uss frolick, cog and GLakie like this

I've got a problem ... I don't have a favourite band or song ... it all depends on my mood ... sometimes I even can't stand music :o ... though some of my favourites: Charles Aznavour - Ma mie, Joan Armatrading - Show some emotion, Astrud Gilberto - Agua De Beber (or her daddy - any song) ... when I look at these I could go on, and on, and on, and ...

Oh yeah ... The sick note ... sung by the Dubliners ... always makes me laugh ... Mozart - Requiem ... Holst - The Planets ... Ella Fitzgerald ......

Canute, clearway and GLakie like this

Very much always hovering at the top of my list; VAST, John Crosby. IMO arguably he is best lyricist of relationships that have an edge to them. Love his voice, love his band

http://www.realvast.com/music.htm

NO, I am not in any way connected to this band other than as a passionate fan. They never received the success that they deserved.

Their best, super well mastered CD is "April"

I have more than 5,000 songs on my hard drive and have north of 2,000 CD's collecting dust. Love all kinds of music. (not trying to gloat, just saying...lol)

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by md1400cs
GLakie likes this

Crikey, I must be the old fan here.

Fave band - The Who, for rockin out. The Doors when I'm in an "LA Woman" kind of mood. Yardbirds/Zepplin, too. And The Grateful Dead - pick any remastered live album.

Fave musician - where to start? Our thread starter hit a few I like. Add Stevie Ray Vaughan for his blues guitar work. Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top) for some guitar riffs. John Lennon (pre-Ono) doing early rock covers.

Fave song -  different every day. Although "Hey, Jude" can strike a cord or City of New Orleans by Arlo Guthrie or Willie Nelson. I have this railroad thing running around my brain.

GLakie likes this

I guess I march to a different drummer as I am a huge Jazz fan. I made my (incomplete partial)  ;)  list up by instrument played and I can say that I have at least 2 albums (or many more) by each of the artists listed below:  The highlighted ones I have heard live in concert at least once.

Guitar: Joe Pass, Django Reinhart, Herbie Ellis, Kenny Burrell, Larry Coryell, Pat Methany
Trumpet : Miles Davis, Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong, Dizzy Gillespie, Freddie Hubbard, Bix Beiderbecke, Harry James, Red Nichols, Chuck Mangione
Saxaphone: John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Joe Lovano, Paul Gonsalves, Ornette Coleman, Cannonball Adderley, Lester Young, Wayne Shorter, Sonny Rollins
Piano: Erroll Garner, Earl "Fatha" Hines, Fats Waller, Thelonius Monk, Ahmad Jamal, Bill Evans, Oscar Peterson, McCoy Tyner, Herbie Hancock, Dave Brubeck, Duke Ellington,Teddy Wilson, George Shearing
Drums: Jack DeJohnette, Jimmy Cobb, Buddy Rich, Art Blakey, Max Roach, Gene Kruppa, Grady Tate
Vibes: Red Norvo, Milt Jackson, Lionel Hampton,
Bass: Dave Holland, Ron Carter, Ray Brown, Paul Chambers, Charles Mingus

Bands/Orchestra: Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman Quartet, Oscar Peterson Trio, Dave Brubeck Quartet

Kind of Blue, Miles Davis' 1959 album, is arguably the best album in jazz history.

Duke Ellington and his 11 piece orchestra played at my college Junior Prom.

Altho I do have a few Blues favorites. Muddy Waters, Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, Taj Mahal, B.B. King

cog, Canute, jazzchip and 2 others like this

When I see the names rolling over this screen ... more and more with every post, I think (yes, it happens sometimes :o ) oh that is good too, and him - or her for that matter - and those are great too ... more names start to pop up ... and with some I wonder what those will be like ... ain't music great :D

Canute, GLakie and Jack12477 like this

Favorite music. Who else but the king! Elvis!

Ok I do like a few other bands as well: The Beatles as an example or soundtracks: ennio morricone is my favourite in that field. Once upon a time in the west is my favourite soundtrack and favourite film. But i digress... new "favourite film" themed post anyone? :)

GLakie and Sjors like this

Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Judas Priest to name but a few, but also older stuff like the stones and some classical. However one of my fave albums for background music while building is Marylin Manson in particular the lest we forget album, but U2, Aerosmith and ZZ Top can get a look in too!

Keith

Harlequin, well said! :)

When I was still working, my supervisor (10 yrs younger) quizzed me as to why Dylan, since he sang so nasally. :huh:  I asked him how many bands covered his stuff or did concerts with the Master. :o  End of quiz! :)

GLakie, mtaylor and Jack12477 like this

Hard choice between Clapton and Stevie Ray, but tonight, I'm going with Stevie Ray Vaughan. Actually started to learn "Life by the Drop", before I sold the 12-string. 

post-12186-0-11561500-1432165830_thumb.jpg

cog and Canute like this

I last saw dylan in Blackpool november 2013......true his voice is not at its best but the aura he still has about him was palpable. I took my then 12 year old son with me and he absolutely loved it. Dylan as usual never said a word during the concert, he did one encore then at the end came centre stage gave a little bow and departed. What a legend....Yes he is an awkward sort of character but some of his lyrics are just beyond comparison....just my oppinion.

Canute and GLakie like this

There was (now defunct) a cafe in Woodstock that a lot of us would go to with our wives after work on a Friday night - Cafe Espresso (aka Tinker Street Cafe) - upstairs was the famous "White Room" where Dylan retreated to for some quiet solitude and song writing. Down the street about a mile was the famous Bearsville Recording studios started by Albert Grossman, Dylan's manager.  From time to time, Dylan and Joan Baez would wander into the Cafe after a recording session, order a beer, pull a couple tables together, put a couple chairs atop the tables, climb up, sit-down and play an impromptu session.  Never knew who might show up back then (60's-70's) or when.

Of course, there were also "scheduled" concerts/performances at the Cafe Espresso on various weekends  but the impromptu walk-ins were perhaps the most interesting and entertaining. Locally most people just referred to it as the Tinker Street Cafe. The outdoor front porch was generally jammed in summer.

The Cafe is now a Photography Center but the Bearsville Recording studio is still active but I'm not sure who owns it now (it was owned by his widow Sally but she reportedly put it up for sale in 2004). They added a 250 seat theater some time back which holds some cool concerts  from time to time.

Edited by Jack12477
GLakie, cog, mtaylor and 1 other like this

I was listening to joan baez talking about a song dylan had shown her the lyrics to.....he asked her what she thought the song was about......a little later dylan asked baez what she thought it meant, and after she had described what she thought the song was about dylan just said....mmmm thats interesting joan....because i havent got a clue what its about. Good lad Bob. 

Jack12477, mtaylor, GLakie and 1 other like this

I can put a few Dutch bands in here but you don't know them  :D  :D  :D

So I'll stay at the safe side and take a few others.....

Animals - House of the rising sun....

The Doors - Riders of the storm......

Sjors

This will show just how old I am. Favorite band:

The Ventures.

Favorite musician(s) 

Gene Krupa, Chet Atkins.

All these 3 reached the status of Demi Gods for me at one time or another.

Edited by Ulises Victoria
Canute, jdbradford, mtaylor and 1 other like this

I stopped to get gas today, and a lady pulled up behind me with a Tom Petty tune blaring out the window.  She turned off her car and radio, and I told her she didn't have to turn off the radio.  She asked me if that was a good song.  I said it was a great song.  She laughed and said, "Now I know your age!"

GLakie, Canute, mtaylor and 1 other like this

I'm fairly young but have an older person's tastes.

Rock: Led Zeppelin, Rush, Lynyrd Skynrd

Folk: Silly Wizard, Wailin' Jennies, Great Bear Trio

Jazz: Duke Ellington, Miles Davis, Benny Goodman

Classical: Tchaikovsky, Copeland, all the classic Germans

Canute, GLakie, mtaylor and 5 others like this

Classical: Tchaikovsky, Copeland, all the classic Germans

I too am a great fan of classical music. Before my step-father joined the Royal Air Force he studied singing in Cardiff in South Wales. He found it wiser to learn something "decent" instead and so he went for the RAF. After his retirement from the services in the early 1970s he completed his singing education in Duisburg in Germany. He immediately got a job as a baritone in the Opera House in Detmold in Germany and later in Krefeld and Mönchengladbach. He remained a professional opera singer until his retirement in the early 2000s. As you can imagine classical music played an enormous role in our home at the time. My mum was an opera-fanatic; the record-player was on without a break. Even today you can play me almost any aria you like and I can most likely tell you what it is and who it's from. My favorites are Puccini and Verdi. Sadly my step-father died in 2003 and my mum in 2005. After that I ignored classical music for years. Only recently have I found my way into it again and was thrilled to see that so many new talented singers have appeaered on the scene in the past years such as Jonas Kaufmann and Rolando Villazon. It was only recently when I came across a concert on YouTube by Placido Domingo, Anna Netrebko and Rolando Villazon in the Waldbühne in Berlin. It's only mainstream but it's such fun! I love every minute of it!

Peter

Cathead, Stevescan, mtaylor and 1 other like this

Cap'n Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters.

(Sorry really like the movie 'That Thing You Do' and couldn't resist).               -Mark

P.S.  Most classical fills the bill.  Try the 'Evening with the Captain' DVD's.  Violin and Cello.  Can't go wrong there.

GLakie and Stevescan like this

Dose no one have any tast for Clasial Music , poor show , if I were naming one very dificult but the lait OTTO KEMPER conducter and composer condukting Beethoven  No six  the Pastorall of cours there are many performers living and dead and it is would be imposiball . robin b

Oh I love classical music, although strictly speaking, Classical is just one period of music. I am more inclined towards the Baroque, but if I start listing all my favorite Renaissance, Baroque, Classical and Romantic composers/musicians, the list would go endless. :)

Edited by Ulises Victoria
Canute, cog, GLakie and 1 other like this