JustBlowingInTheWind

Who is your favorite musician or band?

Anyone heard Supertramps "Brother Where You Bound"? There's 2 songs in it that Roger Waters plays in. Very subtle. Got the CD (hard not to call them albums) and the first time I heard it I knew I heard Roger. Pulled out the paper that came with the disc and sure enough. Famous last words, free as a bird... I like their obscure stuff better than the pop stuff on the radio.

Mark Knopfler (Dire straights) is doing some GREAT stuff, as recently as this year. Seriously eclectic. Some of it's folk, some blues, a little jazz, a great one with Chet Atkins, a waltz, (VERY FUNNY) some country-ish... Some I swear is all of the above in one song. When I first heard his newer stuff I thought, ugh. The I listened again, and really love it now. I think Rolling Stones has him as the 46th best guitarist ever and number one without a pick. One called Beach Combing with Emmylou Harris is great. Rather Country and Rock and roll. I hate Country but this one's great.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Knopfler_discography

David Gilmour as recently as this year. More great stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gilmour_discography

David Knopfler has some decent stuff, but nothing like his brother.

Jazz. Mike Sterns, Fourplay, Dr. Big Band, The Rippingtons, John Scofield...

Blues: BB KING! Riding with the king with BB King and Eric Clapton! John Mayall, Jonhy lang...

When I was younger it was AC/DC, Deaf Leopard, Led Zepplin, Aerosmith, the Stones. Now I absolutely abhor AC/DC. Now I can't even listen to Hendrix:(

Now it's gotta have a piano and some horns. Count Basie/Frank Sinatra, Emerson Lake & Palmer, LOVE The Allan Parsons project.

Never would have listened to blues or Jazz. elvis? Yuk! Now? Heck yea!

County? Never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never,!

Unless Knopfler is involved.

Canute likes this

The Clash, Buzzcocks, Love, The Doors, Joy Division, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Specials, Van Morrison, Curtis Mayfield, Marvin Gaye, The Kinks, Jam, Jack White...

Fave album this year - Bop English

All on vinyl!

hexnut likes this

Saw the Doors live at Forest Hills Tennis Stadium in NYC in 1967.

1967, two years after I was born. They've aged well. Still sound fresh.

mtaylor and Canute like this

Well, if we are talking about 'favorite' bands, I would have to choose the one shown below. I freely admit, it was nowhere close to the same league as those discussed here. It was a small town teenage band, in the era of matching blazers. A big fish in a tiny pond. I am the one on the left (with the Fender Mustang). 

These were some great times for me, cut short by military service. Little did I realize when I boarded the bus, that I would never see any of these folks again. I guess you really can never go home again. :blink:

post-18844-0-21447900-1450585109_thumb.jpg

I love different styles : classic, '60, '70,... : it doesn't really matter.

However : Nowadays, a thought for Lemmy and a quote , rather a title from a Motörhead-song somehow related to our common hobby :

"The chase is better than the catch"

davyboy and Canute like this

Most people that know me say that they have never come across anyone with such an eclectic taste in music as me.  But who am I to argue with that with my I-Pod currently loaded with 6,524 songs.  My collection is mostly blues and rock, but I really can’t think of any type of music that is not included.  Here is a brief (???) list of some of my favorites, so judge for yourself.

Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Jefferson Airplane, Eagles, Michael Jackson, Moby, Ventures, Elton John, Platters, Enigma, Santana, Ozzy Osbourn, Brule’, Gene Autry, BB King, Bare-naked Ladies, M.C. Hammer, Gotye, Howling Wolf, Etta James, Roy Rogers and the Sons of the Pioneers, Seal, Doobie Brothers, Jimi Hendrix, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Kyu Sakamoto, Chicago, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Jimmy Buffett, Moody Blues,  Taj Mahal, Doors, Beatles, Queen, Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Randy Newman, Louis Armstrong, Who, Beach Boys, Meat Loaf, Henry Mancini, IL Devo, Concrete Blond, Israel Kamakawiwo’ole, Enya, Chet Atkins, Doobie Brothers, John Lee Hooker, Roy Clark, Beethoven, Everly Brothers, Joe Walsh, Steppenwolf, Joe Cocker, Duanne Eddie, Roy Orbison, Abba, Proco Harum, Yes, Joe Satriani, Simon and Garfunkel, Tchaikovsky, Johannes Linstead, Stevie Wonder, Loreena Mckennitt, Righteous Brothers, Ennio Morricone, Chris Isaac, Allman Brothers, Frank Sinatra, Sade, Gershwin, Mark Knopler, Pete Townshend and Warren Zevon to name just a few!:P:P:P

Canute, John Allen and CaptainSteve like this

Like almost all what Dave posted. My favorites 50s rock, early blues 20s, 30s depression era, some classical, Chieftains Irish music,

Billy Joel did an album with African back ups Ladysmith Black Mambaza they cut some records very good if I remember right lost need a new one.

But I really get into the early blues most on 33 & 1/3,  Zydeco, Buckwheat Zydeco, Rockin Sidney, Chenier, etc. 

Canute likes this