Omega1234

The "What did you do in your Garden today?" thread

Well, not today, but last week.

Monday: Got the planks, and saw them to measure

Tuesday: I got the metal profiles for the corners

Wednesday: I drilled 70 holes first with a 3mm, and after with a 6mm bit in the metal profiles

Thursday: Finished the model kits

Friday: Moved them to their respective places in the garden, and started filling them with soil (1 cubic meter by wheel barrow - sigh - I need another .5 cubic meter)

Before:

IMG_2644.thumb.jpg.5b48ccd5b12a1b8908d35f99f0ae0aa2.jpg

After

IMG_2652.thumb.jpg.b09b5a5c5a72d961aa1276a7af068d63.jpg

Nearly ready for planting ... one to top of. Coming week, I'll be seeding some herbs, and vegetables in a seed tray-ish thing-a-me-jig. Flat leaf parsely from last year started growing again, so I'll not be needing that.

mtaylor, Haliburton, Canute and 4 others like this

I love your raised growing boxes... or garden beds...  Whatever they're called..... love them.   I've been giving something like that a thought for our place.  

cog, Canute, donrobinson and 2 others like this

The one closest to the camera in the right hand row is similar to my raised beds. The others are about twice (or more) as deep as mine. But nice beds, Carl. I'm thinking of raising mine up a level.  Right now they are all buried under 1-2 feet of snow, and the soil is probably still frozen.  So another month maybe

cog, Canute, mtaylor and 2 others like this

Mark,

If you want to be kind to your back, or your admiral's, it is an easy way to grow vegetables, or flowers, and have it maintainable.

Jack,

I had two of the lower ones (see first picture), which made working on them easier, but not yet good enough for Marleen, the long bed was better for her to maintain, therefore, the double hight, i.e. 1.333' or 16". Now she can sit on her knees whilst weeding, or planting

sizes:

right furthest to nearest: twice 1 x 1 m [3' 4" x 3' 4"], and twice 1.2 x 1.5 m [4' x 5']
middle: twice 1.2 x 1.5 m [4' x 5'] - I'll be adding another one in the same size

left: 3 x .6 m [10' x 2']

Filled the remaining plot with soil, and added and mixed in compost to all.

Today replaced the old pergola's planks with new oaken ones ...

IMG_2658.thumb.jpg.58e96db4261ce57559e4d963da70207a.jpg

IMG_2660.jpg

IMG_2659.jpg

Jack12477, CDW, Haliburton and 6 others like this

Not much different here. You need a certain temperature to start ... it's just now I can start sowing seeds, and I need to do it inside.

VIyOuQB-sUU-y-JzC9oNxzQ16Of70hh6o1BapteyNot so much me, but my wife is really taken gardening seriously.  She has marked off most of the front yard for new beds and got a new tiller.

Canute, mtaylor, donrobinson and 1 other like this

Hmmm, they show up on both my computers.  I wonder what is going on with Photo Bucket this time?   So much for using the "Cloud".  I'll try to move them to my local and then attach them when I get home tonight.  

donrobinson and Canute like this

When in doubt... upload rather then link.    If they're uploaded they'll be safed and stored with the rest of the site.  if linked, wel.... companies like PhotoBucket come and go and change the way things are done or stored.

Omega1234, donrobinson, cog and 1 other like this

David, You started way too early for Sitka. May 15 is your target date,unless you build a poly tent over those boxes. I know 'cause I was the city groundskeeper there for 28 years.

cog, David Rice, mtaylor and 2 others like this

Bill:

I have been starting in early March. Using a unheated greenhouse and grow covers. Lettuce, Chard, Peas, were already up by this time normally. I keep the grow covers on until the 4th of July.  Lot's of new strains are producing well in Sitka. This is the worst Spring I have ever seen since I have been here in 31 Years.  Temps running 4-6 degrees below normal every day.   You won't believe how many Apple Trees have been planted in Sitka.  Planted ours 2 years ago, and got a crop last fall.  I also have the only known Marion Black Berries growing in Alaska.  I was told they wouldn't grow and produce here. Now others are planting them. Harvested around a gallon our first year. Grounds Keeper?  Sitka now has the highest paid Grounds Keeper in Alaska.  Sean is being paid around $90,000 plus benefits. Not bad for cutting grass. He's about to retire with a very Fat Cow.

IMG_3867.JPG

IMG_3994.JPG

IMG_4239.JPG

mtaylor, Canute, reklein and 3 others like this

On 3/26/2017 at 6:16 PM, cog said:

Filled the remaining plot with soil, and added and mixed in compost to all.

Today replaced the old pergola's planks with new oaken ones ...

IMG_2658.thumb.jpg.58e96db4261ce57559e4d963da70207a.jpg

IMG_2660.jpg

IMG_2659.jpg

Carl

Is that Bamboo growing along your fence line?

Canute, Omega1234, mtaylor and 2 others like this

Mr Bunny

Also changed to initials! It's becoming high fashion ;)

The bamboo doesn't really grows along the fence, as it is bounded by a root resistant circumference. It's a Phyllostachys-Aureosulcata Aureocaulis (5m / 17' high), which would be all over the garden if I hadn't put it on a leash. Halfway down the garden there is a Phyllostachys-Nigra (currently just 3m/10' high) which doens't grow as high, but just as wide if it gets the chance

Canute, donrobinson, CDW and 2 others like this

Saw our first humming bird yesterday.    Now I know it's spring.

She who must be obeyed says I'm building beds around the patio this week.

I didn't know we needed them.   Shows you what I know.

Mark

reklein, Omega1234, mtaylor and 2 others like this

4 hours ago, cog said:

Mr Bunny

Also changed to initials! It's becoming high fashion ;)

The bamboo doesn't really grows along the fence, as it is bounded by a root resistant circumference. It's a Phyllostachys-Aureosulcata Aureocaulis (5m / 17' high), which would be all over the garden if I hadn't put it on a leash. Halfway down the garden there is a Phyllostachys-Nigra (currently just 3m/10' high) which doens't grow as high, but just as wide if it gets the chance

Yes, I had to change to initials. Bunnies all over the world were up in arms in protest, thinking I was giving them all a bad name. :)

Just in time for Easter, too.

6 hours ago, cog said:

Don't ask me the proper name for it as I haven't a clue what it is, I just call it bamboo growing at the far back side of my yard. It was growing there when I bought this house 40 years ago, and it somewhat serves as a buffer between me and a commercial property directly behind mine that sells and services motorcycles, jet watercraft, and off road four wheel vehicles. This bamboo grows 30 feet or more in height and is 6 inches or more in diameter. Oddly, it only has ever grown in that one spot.

Yard Cropped (1128 x 1112).jpg

Yard Cropped 2 (1824 x 1316).jpg

It finally stopped blowing, snowing and raining.  Our local Bald Eagle, we call Gertrude, spent the day in our tree trying to dry off.  It's been a long nasty Winter.  I am declaring Spring by planting seedlings in the little Greenhouse. The seedlings will stay there until the first of  May.  Doesn't look like my U.S. Brig Syren Kit will arrive for another 10 days.  Bummer.

IMG_4822.JPG

IMG_4823.JPG

mtaylor, cog, Jack12477 and 5 others like this

Mr Bunny,

It looks like one of the "giant" species, would have liked one of those, but they don't like our climate (won't grow as large) and I liked the yellow stalk with the green line.

David,

You are ahead of me with seedlings, won't those be to big when you can plant them?

We've mowed the lawn too, Mark. First time this year. Since the temperatures are going below 10C/50F again, mowing will be infrequent, if not at all ...

mtaylor, donrobinson and CDW like this

6 minutes ago, cog said:

Mr Bunny,

It looks like one of the "giant" species, would have liked one of those, but they don't like our climate (won't grow as large) and I liked the yellow stalk with the green line.

David,

You are ahead of me with seedlings, won't those be to big when you can plant them?

We've mowed the lawn too, Mark. First time this year. Since the temperatures are going below 10C/50F again, mowing will be infrequent, if not at all ...

The month of April is still pretty cool in Sitka.  We will be lucky to hit 50F days. Our heavy cloud cover will not let the Green House heat up much. The plants will sprout and grow, but very slowly.  I will plant Potatoes, Peas, Carrots, and  Baby Boc Choy next week in raised beds.  Then I cover everything with Grow Covers. The Grow Covers stay on until July. The Grow Covers really work. Without them, I could not grow much in our cool damp climate.

IMG_3231 (2).JPG

Tadeusz43, cog, reklein and 4 others like this

20 minutes ago, cog said:

Mr Bunny,

David,

When the wind is blowing, the bamboo sways and makes sounds similar to the groans and creaks you hear on board a wooden ship. It's a very relaxing sound.

mtaylor, donrobinson, Canute and 1 other like this