Omega1234

The "What did you do in your Garden today?" thread

576 posts in this topic
1 hour ago, reklein said:

Wow,thats a lot of berries! do you do a farmers market? Or, are you canning? My berries are nowhere near producing yet,besides who knows what variety they are as the birds planted them.:)

They are Wild Strawberries.  Very small about the size of a marble. But much more flavorful than commercial Strawberries.   My neighbor found them on a Island out by Biorka Island.  He brought a few plants home.  Gave some to me. Now they are spreading all over the neighborhood. Almost can't kill them. They love poor rocky soils.  The produced berries in June. Done by July 4th. Then they send runners everywhere.  If they travel where I don't want them, I just pull them out.

mtaylor and Canute like this

Two crops of Lettuce going.  It was a good idea to put them up on the tables. No slug, snail, or insect damage of any kind.  I see a few ripe radishes this morning.  The longer days of sunlight are beginning to make a big difference.

IMG_5206.JPG

IMG_5207 (2).JPG

Jack12477, Cathead, Canute and 1 other like this

We did run a market farm for a number of years, selling to farmers market/CSA shares/restaurants/etc but in the last few years we've backed off that and just grow mostly for ourselves now. We still raise most of our own fruit/veg/dairy/meat year-round. These berries are all for us. We freeze a large quantity, make & can jam, dry them, and ferment wine. We've canned straight strawberries in the past but don't really like the quality. The wine comes out nicely and is great for storage since it improves with age. This has been a particularly abundant year for the berries, though, we've had especially good weather for them (less heat than usual and moderate rain) so they're just going berzerk.

cog, David Rice, Canute and 1 other like this

28 minutes ago, Cathead said:

We did run a market farm for a number of years, selling to farmers market/CSA shares/restaurants/etc but in the last few years we've backed off that and just grow mostly for ourselves now. We still raise most of our own fruit/veg/dairy/meat year-round. These berries are all for us. We freeze a large quantity, make & can jam, dry them, and ferment wine. We've canned straight strawberries in the past but don't really like the quality. The wine comes out nicely and is great for storage since it improves with age. This has been a particularly abundant year for the berries, though, we've had especially good weather for them (less heat than usual and moderate rain) so they're just going berzerk.

I don't do any markets either.  I just give my produce away to the neighbors. They drop by fish and venison to me. Works pretty good since I can't hunt or fish any more.

mtaylor, Jack12477, cog and 1 other like this

Back when we worked for the National Park Service in the mountains of Virginia, we had a container garden like yours because we lived in an NPS cabin up on a ridge and they don't want you planting anything in the soil within a park. Problem was, the black bears liked our tomatoes too much. Came home one day to find the biggest pot dragged off the porch with a bear chowing down on the tomatoes around the back corner of the cabin.

David Rice, cog, Jack12477 and 2 others like this

42 minutes ago, Cathead said:

Back when we worked for the National Park Service in the mountains of Virginia, we had a container garden like yours because we lived in an NPS cabin up on a ridge and they don't want you planting anything in the soil within a park. Problem was, the black bears liked our tomatoes too much. Came home one day to find the biggest pot dragged off the porch with a bear chowing down on the tomatoes around the back corner of the cabin.

We are one of the few areas in Southeast Alaska that does not have Black Bears or Wolves.  I know Black Bears do a lot of damage to gardens, fruit trees, and other shrubs.  Our big Brown Bear are more interested in eating your dog. Can't leave a dog out at night. Especially tied up. We do not have any Moose either. A Moose can eat everything in your garden in a one nights visit.

cog, Canute, Jack12477 and 1 other like this