Omega1234

The "What did you do in your Garden today?" thread

18 hours ago, Cathead said:

Heh, Jim, that looks great, if only I could do that for our 1/2 acre orchard and 1 acre crop field. Birds and Japanese Beetles are playing their usual hell with our applies and other fruit.

David, I'm sorry to hear that. Since our damaging late freeze here in Missouri, the weather has been remarkably cooperative, about the right amount of rain and no true extremes of hot/cold. That's not normal for here, and I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. If you want to feel bad for someone else, though, read up on the situation along Lake Ontario in NY. It's been so wet for so long that the lake is at near record levels, flooding coastal towns and expecting to stay that way for months.

I have been expecting a bad year. My old Alaska Native Friends have always told me we are on a 11 and 40 year weather cycles. Every 11 years or so, we get a colder year, more rain, more snow, large winter deer die offs, and cold wet summers. We had our bad winter, and cold spring. Now were are getting the cold wet summer. Forecast for the next two weeks is for rain, rain, and more rain. We just have to grin and bear it.  I lost all the blossoms on 2 Apple Trees. Zero fruit. Everything else is running about 3 weeks late. Fifty five degrees seems cold, but I'll take it over that 115 degrees they are having in Arizona.

On 6/27/2017 at 3:17 PM, Cathead said:

Heh, Jim, that looks great, if only I could do that for our 1/2 acre orchard and 1 acre crop field. Birds and Japanese Beetles are playing their usual hell with our applies and other fruit.

David, I'm sorry to hear that. Since our damaging late freeze here in Missouri, the weather has been remarkably cooperative, about the right amount of rain and no true extremes of hot/cold. That's not normal for here, and I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. If you want to feel bad for someone else, though, read up on the situation along Lake Ontario in NY. It's been so wet for so long that the lake is at near record levels, flooding coastal towns and expecting to stay that way for months.

It's been a rough year for gardening.  Cold winter. Late Spring, and we have had only about 14 days of sun.  Many failures. Cabbage and Broccoli not producing heads. Berries and Currents are 3 weeks late. Many of the wife's flowers have not opened up. Nasturtiums did well.   Not much time left. We can get a frost in mid September. Raining again. All I can do is make mud pies.

IMG_6274.JPG

IMG_6275.JPG

IMG_6276.JPG

IMG_6277.JPG

IMG_6278.JPG

Backer, Canute, donrobinson and 6 others like this

Last weekend's preparation ... get rid of the grass, and create borders along a gravel path ... the first ten meters have been done ... still a long ways to go  ...

tuinpad_01.thumb.jpg.7dcf8b400c713acf11238e5465d0f752.jpgtuinpad_02.thumb.jpg.4a5ccf59b61be713205be456ded86fe0.jpg

our pond dweller ... ;)

vijver01.thumb.jpg.a8cdb47332259ecfcff4a75033c8bb11.jpg

donrobinson, mtaylor, CDW and 3 others like this

Leave it like this !? Nah, it will be filled with gravel. We're looking for some red/light grey/blackish pebble mixture. Haven't found the right mixture just yet, just like the cast iron park bench we can't seem to find ...

What did I do in my garden today......I got up looked out the window and called my landscaper!  He comes once a month..

When I retired I was very serious about it 'o)  I still am.

Tom

Canute, mtaylor, cog and 1 other like this

Posted (edited)

Davod,

Not something to like ... Sorry to hear that, especially for the work you've put into it. You mentioned it had been to wet for to long. I know the effects. We too have those years, fortunately for us not this year.

Edited by cog
mtaylor, Canute and donrobinson like this

Jim,

Some things you better leave to the "younger" ............................................... or someone with a small crane ;)

mtaylor, donrobinson and Canute like this

Carl, just be careful with the graveling in your walkways. Can be hard on one's back. Your garden does look quite nice. Is the ducky your fleet commander now?

donrobinson, mtaylor and cog like this

I have it delivered in a big bag (1 m3), and shall not fill my wheelbarrow more than half!

Yep. since a swan in that size was unavailable, I had to do with a Ducky ... like you ;)

mtaylor, donrobinson, Backer and 1 other like this

6 hours ago, cog said:

Jim,

Some things you better leave to the "younger" ............................................... or someone with a small crane ;)

I refuse to admit I'm getting older....then my body rudely reminds me.

donrobinson, Canute and mtaylor like this

The trouble with using small gravel is that it is easily picked up by shoes, and then brought into the house. Once it is embedded into the soles of your shoes, it can puncture small holes into your flooring. The situation is worse if you have any of that laminate flooring. Been there. Done that.

donrobinson, mtaylor and Canute like this

David,

Smallest size will be 3/5" | 1.5cm or bigger, which makes it less likely to transport it with your shoe's soles into the house ... besides, it won't come upto the door

mtaylor, Jack12477, Canute and 1 other like this

28 minutes ago, cog said:

David,

Smallest size will be 3/5" | 1.5cm or bigger, which makes it less likely to transport it with your shoe's soles into the house ... besides, it won't come upto the door

We used 15mm-20mm crushed road rock. We call it D1.   The same rock used along the side of roads.  Big mistake.  The sharp crushed rock gets caught in almost every kind of shoe sole. We track it into the house and into our vehicles continually. The sharp rock pieces get caught so securely in our shoes, that we need to take the shoes off, in order to pry the rocks out of the soles.