SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

Nils -- I have that Proxxon sander and love it.  It works like a random orbital sander, and with those triangular sanding sheets, it can reach into tight areas.  It does put out a lot of dust, but that's an indication of how much wood it's taking off.

Your work is exemplary.

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Nils -- I have that Proxxon sander and love it.  It works like a random orbital sander, and with those triangular sanding sheets, it can reach into tight areas.  It does put out a lot of dust, but that's an indication of how much wood it's taking off.

Your work is exemplary.

Martin

Many thanks Martin,

for the Proxon Hand-Band-sander I had this one in mind (maybe something for christmas ?)

That triangular sander was once a special offer by one of our crafter markets

Nils

post-3445-0-23077900-1436081175_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Many thanks Peter,

appreciate your good advice, I´ll see if my local Obi-market has the product on stock.

I used to apply two-component polyester filler before, but that has too short working time and cures out very hard, so that the sanding afterwards is creating finest "powder" all over the room.

Today I completed the stand-plate (for three brass pedestals not finished yet), and stained it cherry wood color, same fashion as for the other ships and their glass cases baseplates. Still need to put some dull silk surface varnish on it

Nils

post-3445-0-64257400-1436097003_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-32188300-1436097006_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-09062500-1436097008_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Hello Nils,

I have not been on the forum for a while and now I discover You have started a beautifull build of a beautifull ship. I am looking forward to see more updates.

Regards, Kees

Thank you for dropping in and your words Kees,

It still will take me some time to get the hull-planking completed and the fairing of the rather thin outer Skin afterwards...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Little update....

the last plank for the hull  was put on today, and the outside skin first faired with a viratory sander because due to the accumulated overload of the postworkers strike I still did`nt get that ordered spokeshave...

Nils

post-3445-0-18010500-1436538649_thumb.jpg

next, is to put on the bow post, straight stem and around the bend to the keel in bow area. I think I`ll take it off the "slip-way" then and plank the upper stern bulwark area vertically

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

hull is looking nice Nils..........looks really smooth ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Denis,

yes, I did the fairing outside under the car port, was a strong wind, that blew away the dust.

Am quite pleased with my triangle vibratory sander, in appr 2 hours the sanding was done. Some of the few pits and scars in the Planks will be treated with filler

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Really nice hull, Nils

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Thank you for dropping in Christian,

and for your comment, you`re always welcome...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 10

bow post and vertical stern planking put on...

Nils

post-3445-0-67970900-1436696600_thumb.jpg

the upper portion of the stern rounding will be horizontal planking

The upper propshaft housings still need to be planked, and the whole stern area requires fairing and blending for smooth transitions afterwards

post-3445-0-60916200-1436696603_thumb.jpg

the bow post (beech wood) where the plates are riveted to later on, gives the nostalgic touch to the rather sharp bow

post-3445-0-11604100-1436696605_thumb.jpg

its time to take the hull off the board now....

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

hi nils

looking good! very sharp lines looks like atrue thoroughbred.waiting with bated breath for the start of the metal plating.

will you be using aluminium litho plates ? i know its quite a common building material for some a our "grey" warship modelling colleagues.

following with great anticipation.

cheers....mick

Many thanks Patrick and Mick,

and all the "like this" button activators...

Patrick,

Thanks for your appreciation, I took her off the board this afternoon and was delighted of the work so far, a straight symetric and light hull like it should be. All the overstanding frame hights will be removed (cut off) and the upper deck stringers put on. The slot places are integrated alrteady when I cut the frames

I am including some pics of this milestone moment....

Mick,

Thanks for your words ,..

For plating I shall use self-adhesive aluminium foil stripes which will be ponced from the rear side to resemble the riveting

Before the plating comes on, there is still some filler application work to be done, and several semi-round rails must be attached to the ouside hull skin.

post-3445-0-00919900-1436724823_thumb.jpg

removed from the board and put on the upper end-cap plank 180° around the stern.

Stb aft view...

post-3445-0-15853300-1436724837_thumb.jpg

stb front view

post-3445-0-33583100-1436724757_thumb.jpg

view into the aft ship hull. The outcuts for the deck stringers can be seen here

post-3445-0-82635900-1436724779_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-71673900-1436724794_thumb.jpg

the "deck-beam" upper lnes are pre cut, so only the outer sides of the frames need to be cut. In this way the decks will have a positive curvature in width direction

post-3445-0-32405300-1436724811_thumb.jpg

one of the three lock-nut devices for the stand`s pedestal-spindles (through the keel and anchored in the "backbone" )

post-3445-0-15568500-1436724852_thumb.jpg

removing some old hardened glue drops out of the hull

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Very Nice Nils, Beautiful Hull, She is coming together and looking good 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thank you so much for your Kind words

Pete - Bob - John - Lee-

and all the "likes"....

Pete,

It all requires the time it takes, and many ideas for the continuing sequences come as I do the progress

Bob,

thanks for your appreciation, I`m glad you like it. I Need quite some space in hight for fitting on those "golden" ornaments to the round Stern transom, and for putting adequate portholes just under the aft deck-Counter, so I might need to increase the deckbeam hight on the aft-ship a bit

John,

trust the hull will be the less difficult part of this build. For all the superstructure I have`nt made any scetches or plans yet, will probably do them to suit the build sequences as they come 

Lee,

Thanks for your words Lee, I think it may be wise to connect the upper decklines to the sides first, in order to get a better looking transition for the plating Job and when integrating the rails.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Great job on the hull Nils, and congratulations on reaching the milestone of removing her from the board.

Thank you very much Martin and Grant,

Martin,

tho òl deckhand is enjoying every day of his pensioneer`s life

Grant,

thanks Grant, that`s a good Feeling to hold the hull free in Hand turn it around, and observe it from all sides....

it`s so great knowing that fellow modelers from all corners of the world find interest in what I am doing. it gives me very much motivation. Thanks so much for your appreciations....

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

congrats for the milestone of getting her off the board!   the hull looks very nice...will enjoy seeing the progress you make on this fine vessel  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks very much Denis,

I`m just searching the web  / Ebay in order to find  suitable hollow rivets from which I intend to make the appr. 400 brass hull portholes from. Think I`ve just found something this afternoon, We`ll see....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hey Crackers !,

I`m very much flattered :) with such fine comment of yours,

stay tuned and enjoy....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Many thanks Mark,

appreciate your tip for portholes Simulation, that is actualy the solution I`m going after by using hollow rivets DIN 7340 Form "B"

I also found an in diameter suitable solid Nylon cable (like used for a rotating grass cutter) to slice / cut the glassing inlays from. Hope ist works well....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 11

some progress on building the hull....

Nils

post-3445-0-05797700-1436961773_thumb.jpg

this is no convertion to a viking longboat, but temporary protection to the prolonged bowpost until the upper bow bulwark is ready for attaching

post-3445-0-14117400-1436961776_thumb.jpg

my wife asks me this morning, if I`m sure the ship is not much too narrow...

All the overstanding frame hights have been cut off

post-3445-0-12111800-1436961778_thumb.jpg

between the second and the third rail (stern) I need enough place for attaching the decoration and the name, and homeport.

For providing adequate space for the portholes around the poop and perhaps some "eyebrows" over the portholes, I had to increase the hight of this (round the stern) plank accordingly as well as a good transition of the sheer in foreward direction

post-3445-0-70984800-1436961780_thumb.jpg

these are preliminary deck-stringers, for dry fit. There will be a pit right down to the lower deck, just behind the later forecastle bulwark

post-3445-0-42406700-1436961782_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

too bad you didn't ask around concerning those hole rivets

post-612-0-90133700-1436964343.jpg

I found this box of 'em in the cellar a while ago.........there's a bunch of sizes - mixed.

post-612-0-59280800-1436964442.jpg

I separated what I could stand.......it's the equivalent to the Chinese water torture :D  :D

I have plans for a Danmark down the road....I got more than enough,  if you need any  ;)  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: