SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

Vielen Dank Dirk,

glad you like it....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Beautifully done, Nils.  She's looking very impressive.

John

Thank you very much John,

I like your nice compliment...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

The biggest and fastest -- well, I have to believe that.  She is big, and she looks sleek. 

Happy Holidays, Nils.  Stay warm and keep modelling!

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

The biggest and fastest -- well, I have to believe that.  She is big, and she looks sleek. 

Happy Holidays, Nils.  Stay warm and keep modelling!

Cheers,

Martin

Martin,

thanks for your comment, also a nice turn of the year to you and your family and much fun with modeling to Oklahoma....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Beautiful Nils....coming down the final stretch...looks like.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Thank you Rob,

Its not quite the final stretch yet, my estimate is still another 6 months at least to go or more, I`m having much fun with the build at this stage....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you Rob,

Its not quite the final stretch yet, my estimate is still another 6 months at least to go or more, I`m having much fun with the build at this stage....

Nils

G'day Nils

I don't know if I'm pleased or sad about that statement! We have only six months left of this amazing log and model.....

I'm sad at that!

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

I know.........we're mak'in you blush.......right!?!?!!~     well.....I gotta add to it Nils......she is one awesome ship,  when seen in her entirety  :)   seeing her stretched over that narrow sill in the first picture though.......kinda gave me a chill.   tell me that was an optical illusion !   I know I sound a bit skiddish,  but to me,  anything less than the overall length of the model... is considered a sill!   Happy Holidays Nils!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Many thanks to Greg - Denis - Lawrence,

for your words and nice compliments

and to all the "likes" for clicking on....

Greg,

Thanks for your kind words, I hope that you and the followers of this build will be tuned in until completion, probably in the second half of 2017.

I have been thinking of a possible next build and have for consideration the 1:25 model (scratch build after plan set)  of Napoleon`s row-state barge " Le Canot Imperial"

The great handicap with that beautiful barge is , that I would have to learn how to do the many carvings and decore frieses. So it may as well work out as a "knock out" criteria..... I much envy all fellow builders who can produce those excellent carvings !.

Being entirely different to my former builds though I would like to do that one as a new Challange. Member Janos, Australia, has already built that one in an awesome looking version, and after seeing the photos on the web, I am so much impressed, inspired and encouraged for giving it a try myself. But the final decision has not been made yet.

Denis,

right, I see that you are reflecting my own thoughts, when digging deeper into design and details of this ship in the early information gathering stage, prior to start of the build.  The ship really was long and slim and there must have been several tow-watertank (with a model)  in order to find the optimal hull lines to enable high speeds (in 1897 !!)

Lawrence,

A very nice comment and I`m very pleased the model finds your approval alraedy at this stage of  of build.

Wish you and your family a happy and enjoyable 2017

A happy new year to all fellow members,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

G'day Nils

The boat - Le Canot Imperial is a very interesting vessel. After Janos did his brilliant model of it, I thought to myself that it would take a very brave person to even to attend to do one.

All I can say, if anyone can match Janos's model, it would be only you. This would be be very interesting for me as I've only seen your models in steel and brass etc. This one is just wood. Looking forward to see your interpretation.

You mentioned that carving is not your ideal pass time. Instead of carving why not try what Doris on the HMY ROYAL CAROLINE did and use a plasticine type substance.

This method is much easier for me over carving.

Havagreatnewyear mate

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

G'day Nils

The boat - Le Canot Imperial is a very interesting vessel. After Janos did his brilliant model of it, I thought to myself that it would take a very brave person to even to attend to do one.

All I can say, if anyone can match Janos's model, it would be only you. This would be be very interesting for me as I've only seen your models in steel and brass etc. This one is just wood. Looking forward to see your interpretation.

You mentioned that carving is not your ideal pass time. Instead of carving why not try what Doris on the HMY ROYAL CAROLINE did and use a plasticine type substance.

This method is much easier for me over carving.

Havagreatnewyear mate

Greg

Thank you Greg,

Yes, I know and was always having Doris`s methode saved in my mind, thanks for the reminder and link. I very much adore those plasticine figurines she makes.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hello Nils,

I'm back again, dropping in whenever I have a spare moment.  Fantastic progress, she's looking so beautiful! 

Gwen and I wish you and your family a very prosperous and healthy 2017, with the completion of this fantastic build.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Piet,

Thank you very much,

and a happy new year to you, and your family, and best regards from Glinde / Germany

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Nils,

Amazing amount of progress...you must work many hours a day on your KWdG, but it is certainly paying off...quite a sight! I love the hull colors and all the detail you've put into the hull plating and all those deck features.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Thank you very much Nigel,

your right with the amount of time involved with the build. Many things are only riping in my head, before I make some scetches, but to get the ideas to fruit, a lot of time is invested to plan solutions and the sequences and at what time what must be done first. For example each of the 4 stacks bear 10 steel spaned stay.lines, all of the fastening points have to be securely set into the boats deck (counterhead from underneath, forces), so do`nt glue the deck down before (access) the fastening points are done.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

That's a very good point about gluing after everything is done.

Did you learn that lesson a hard way many years ago?

Similar thing happened to me on my first build..... so I'm like Saint Nic - making a list and checking it twice. So it wouldn't happen again - I hope.

havagooday my friend

Greg

For example each of the 4 stacks bear 10 steel spaned stay.lines, all of the fastening points have to be securely set into the boats deck (counterhead from underneath, forces), so do`nt glue the deck down before (access) the fastening points are done.....

I hear what you are saying Nils, I wish I had that luxury on the Albertic restoration. I have to sort it out a different way.

Happy new year to you.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Michael,

a happy new year to you and your family as well......

I have great respect for the "pull forces" that can resullt when using steel wire and functional turnbuckle screws along with the rigging, and therefore learnt my lesson earlier (as Greg is saying), so the fastening points have to withstand strumming of shrouds and stays.

I fully understand your position, whereby you probably have no more sufficiant access to the original fastening points...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you very much B.E.,

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 51

Update....

the forward boatsdeck ply-sheet is in dry-fit mode, in order to fit the semi-round front part, the slightly raised intermediate podest ( about 5 mm higher than the boats deck, where the boats will be seated), the stairs to the lower bridge level, the positions of the vents, ......

The stair-etch patterns I had were not long enough, so I am making these from longer patterns, ac.. to scale, but that unfortunately does not have rails, so bend and solder from 0,5mm brass wire. The bridge elevation will (not shown here) be reached by an additional upwards pair of stairs....

Nils

post-3445-0-93528300-1483539747_thumb.jpg

longer made stairs

post-3445-0-18697500-1483539751_thumb.jpg

the plank on edge resembles the level of the podest

post-3445-0-98904700-1483539752_thumb.jpg

due to the curvature of the deckhousing roof, the semi round white piece must be glued down later on and secured with two micro screws, that are srewed in here for dry fit already

post-3445-0-47220500-1483539754_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-17456600-1483539756_thumb.jpg

the pair of face vents will be shortend later on

post-3445-0-17456600-1483539756_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-74712700-1483539758_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-82301300-1483539761_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-81546600-1483539763_thumb.jpg

the support-beams rest on small cut-outs in the two nav-light towers

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Looking good Nils. Still lots of work however your getting closer!

Jeff

Jeff,

thanks for your nice comment, much appreciated....., its going to be much fiddly work now with the bridge construction

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

....., its going to be much fiddely work now with the bridge construction

Nils

But your "fiddly work" is so good and we love watching it.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

But your "fiddly work" is so good and we love watching it.

Bob

Nice compliment Bob,

thanks for your word, I`ll try to get through (like intended) without producing too much for the bin

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I don't know about yours, but my bin always seems to be hungry.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Breath-taking Nils! Working at such a tiny scale really does introduce a whole new set of challenges, and you appear to have mastered all of them.

I'm enjoying your handy work Nils, very inspiring and making my fingers itch to start myself gain.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)