SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse-(short KWdG)-1897-1914-by Nils Langemann - scale 1:144 - POF - first German four stacker of the Norddeutscher Lloyd line - FINISHED

Rob,

thank you very much for your nice and much appreciated words, I shall be pleased to see you further enjoying the build....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nils...I've looked in on your other builds and I'm very impressed with the accomplishments.

Fine models all of them.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

G'day Nils

It has all been said before me........ so all I can say is ditto and echo everyone's entries.

My grandfather gave me his old bit and brace auger bit set. It must be 65 years old, but as good as it was only made yesterday! It comes in a wooden case with 9 bits ranging from 1/8" to 1 3/4". It's a beautiful set, but I don't need the brace head now, so I cut it off with my angle grinder and use them in my variable speed battery opperate drill.

Hasn't time change?

Well mate

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Thank you Rob, Patrick and Greg,

for your words......

Rob,

thanks for your nice compliment and for looking into the other build logs....

Patrick,

thats a very nice compliment, much appreciated, many thanks

Greg,

am pleased you like the progress, thanks for your appreciation.....

I received my new 25 mm Auger bit, which was spanned in my electric drilling machine, at lowest possible speed and test drilled in a piece of scrap wood..

Wow !, had to hold the machine very tightly, due to the resulting enormous torque. Looks like it will require a firm holding jig for srewing down, and to span the machine in the drilling stand. It gives quite a rough cut, when drilling at appr. 10° angle to the vertical line 

Also thanks to all the "Likes"

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Hi Rob, Patrick and Greg,

.... sorry, forgot to ad the enclosed pics with the last post...

Nils

post-3445-0-44786300-1484389120_thumb.jpg

freehand drill cut, works out quite rough !!

post-3445-0-17252800-1484389123_thumb.jpg

25 mm wooden dowel from broom-bar

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hi Patrick and Bob,...

Patrick,

I do hope to get smoother cuts once I gain a little experience with that drill, and you`re right, most of the connection vanishes when the funnel and the surroundings go in place

Bob,

yes, I also was a bit anxious to operate that monster drill, but I shall avoid to drill any wooden plate that is already fixed to the ship

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

A correction for my deleted post. For 25 mm I would go with a forstner bit too. Drill slowly until you see or feel the point come through then drill from the other side using the hole left by the point as a guide. The forstner will give a very clean hole because of its cutting edges at the circumference. 

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Hi Druxey and Bill,

thank you both so much for your kind input reccomending ways for getting a cleaner 25 mm hole cut....   :)   ;)

Druxey,

I am familiar with the Forstner drill and did achieve super clean, smooth and precise socket holes for mounting hinged furniture doors, they had even larger diameter, thought they would not go down to 25 mm but also these are available (looked it up after reading your post....). 

Bill,

I know the Brad point tools, in fact I use these myself for drilling in wood, for example when doing the holes for the vent tubes (good results so far)

Before reading both your kind advices I had also ( another alternative) ordered a 25 mm drilling crown for wood which is equiped with a centering drill.

Trust that the Auger drill bit shall land somewhere deep in the wardrobe....

Cheers , Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

The auger is still good for drilling in big timber such as building stus, posts, and trees. Just remember to back off and clear the bit as you can get them stuck. That screww point will draw itself in very quickly.

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Thanks for your input Jeff,

the way you describe, is exactly the way I usualy make larger holes into relatively thin decks, etc.

The short dowels that take up the funnel tubes will have their hold in appr. 10 - 12 mm thick plates, this will be too thick for Dremel + co

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thanks Carl,

it was just my thought to slip the funnel tubes over a safely enbedded dowel which fits the inside diam. of the tube smoothly. That should privide a very rigid connection that could also withstand gentle "accidential" knocking against the funnels without doing any harm (like perhaps overstressing the funnel stays)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thanks for your kind reccomendation Jeff,

I have`nt done any fuirther trials on that behalf yet, but shall give feedback on outcome later on...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I would put a 12mm dowel in the bottom of the 25mm dowel.  The step would cover any marks in the deck.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your nice input here..... ;)

you seem to be reading my mind, that was also my (up the sleeve solution) if the other do`nt work like intended....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update...

stuctures on the boats deck, and always considering the deck curvature over the width

Nils

post-3445-0-07269600-1484649405_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-65161600-1484649406_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-24996000-1484649409_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-76245300-1484649410_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-51954000-1484649412_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Update....

outcome of the 25 mm hole drilling trials...

today I had a pleasant surprise with the fresh received new drilling crown. I had to try it out straight away, and am very pleased with the results....

Nils

post-3445-0-09735800-1484678475_thumb.jpg

good quality tool

post-3445-0-30644100-1484678480_thumb.jpg

the center drill with the (threaded9 adapter can take up diam 14 to 30 mm, drill crowns

post-3445-0-87418500-1484678477_thumb.jpg

cut at 10° angle, no problem with the center drill function

post-3445-0-25696200-1484678479_thumb.jpg

smooth hole sides, no breaking out at surfaces

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

nice work with the hole saw Nils  :)    

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Many thanks Bill, Denis and Jeff,

Bill,

you`re so right, the Auger is the one for rough timber, thanks for your advise to clear and withdraw the bit. (avoid to get stuck ) I`ll save it up if I ever need to build a log-cabin in the woods

Denis,

yes, I`m very pleased with that tool....

Jeff,

so now there has been found a good solutíon...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nice and clean cut Nils. A good tool and advice are always good to have.

It proves one thing to me Nils....you are never too old to learn something. That's my case anyway.

Havagooday

Greg

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

A nice word Greg,

thanks very much...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

small update....

this little structure sits up on the boats deck between 2 nd. and 3 rd. funnel.

This is the position where the large 1 st class dining lounge is situated over several decks across the whole width of the ship, because here no stackshafts interfere with the dining area.

The half round stucture will be modeled to the light dome of the dining lounge comprising about 30 single little "glassed" frames

Nils

post-3445-0-43746900-1484837372_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-50178900-1484837374_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-85505100-1484837737_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

G'day Nils

What more can I say that hasn't been said before? It's amazing again and again.

I hoped that you will have yours eyes checked out before attempting to lay the 30 pieces of glass in that dome arched window. You will need all the help that you can have to do THAT job. Looking forward to see your usually fantastic work.

Havagooday my friend

Greg